Thursday, October 29, 2009

Mohawk Hudson River Marathon Race Report (Stealing Brian) by Dave G

Oh baby, we came here with our hopes high. Glen W, to be paced by his trusty Sherpa, Brian H, and Jennifer C, each talking Boston Qualifier time. Me, I would have loved that too, but I didn’t want to get a strong PR and then feel bad because I didn’t get a BQ, so I picked 3:53 as a goal, a 5+ minute PR. A 3:45 BQ for me is nuts. But if I could get Sherpa Brian to pace me, like Glen...special Glen, lucky Glen. We hates Glen, my inner Gollum taking over.

All arrived in beautiful downtown Albany mid-afternoon on Saturday, October 10. Jennifer and I found Glen and Brian sprawled on a sofa in the lobby. Homeless looking or maybe they lived in the lobby, couldn’t tell. Dashed to the expo, finding that a race number and a free Bic pen were all the booty we were going to get there. Glen talked race strategy, Brian with a pack and leash would drag Glen like a caveman, get him into Boston. Boston. Brian. Glen says he always bonks, walks. I say if I catch you and you are cooked, I want Brian. How do I catch them? Don’t care. Thinking fast is easier than running fast. And I’m visualizing the moment.

Ed and Emily A showed up, Ed doing his post-race waddle after successfully taming the Hartford Marathon earlier in the day. I was appreciative of their company, but also in awe at how they would just show up far from home in support of friends. That’s what it’s all about.



We all did pasta at Lombardo’s, the local Italian institution. Lots of nervous laughter, requisite teasing, and, of course, running theory. Transfixed with Brian and his energy. I fumbled for a $5 bill, looking to give it to the toughs hanging out by the restaurant (get Glen, not me!). A little Tonya Harding action; his knee will be fine later. And I get Brian.

In the morning, we took buses to the start in Schenectedy and it seemed 50 miles away. It was 38 degrees and my teeth were chattering. Glen and Brian had matching compression sleeves and I noted that they now looked alike since arriving. Brian would carry all of Glen’s gear so he could do his Ryan Hall thing. Flyers shirts all around and a barefoot goofball in a loincloth and a Mohawk haircut. OK dude.


Once we started, the small field took off at a rapid pace. There were 8:10’s, 8:15’s, and Jennifer and I paced one other, wishing we could settle in at a more leisurely 8:40 or so. We noted that we were right behind Glen and Brian and finally backed off. Let them burn out and we’ll get them later. Ya. Sure enough, I realized that I was ahead of my Boston pace, while Jennifer wondered if she should be going more slowly to get hers. We kept going.


After only 1 mile, the extra layers came off. We were soon lost in fall foliage, following the banks of the Mohawk River. It was beautiful and, once we hit a bike path and were separated from the road, it
became a memorable visit with Mother Nature. Orange leaves on the trees and the ground, and river views off into the distance occupied our time. Still, where is Glen? Too early.

Miles rolled by and we kept our pace. Somehow we had a 2 minute cushion on my required Boston time and 6 minutes on hers. There hadn’t been a road or a car in a while and it was easy to just cruise on this course. A moderately hilly area from miles 13-16 loomed ahead, but we knew it wasn’t going to be much. This was mainly easy rolling bike path.

At 10 miles, my new friend Jennifer dropped back. Hey, wait a minute! We’d been hanging out since Manhattan and I was sad that she might be in trouble (not). I yelled some encouragement and took off. Now it was just me and the leaves….and Ed and Emily. These two showed up everywhere. It was incredible. Clearly, they had brought the helicopter and could access bike paths at will.

Miles rolled by and I was not tired. Was this happening? A PR was in the bag and I had not imagined that I could get a BQ. I didn’t even do any speedwork until September. At 12, I grabbed a cup of water (finally a full cup!) and downed it, instantly choking and drowning a volunteer, coughing into the distance. It took a full minute to recover, then I had to go. Into the woods for a while (enough about that) at 13 and then the uphill. Get the rhythm back!

Moving at 16, 18, Ed & Emily, 3 minutes on BQ, looking for Glen and….Brian. It was the race of my life. Then it happened. Ed and Emily at 21 and all I could say was “I’m done”. Brian, Schmian. I couldn’t keep up with my Dad now. It was grovel time and at 23 Jennifer came by at the same steady pace, steaming to Beantown. Unbelievable. Never saw Glen, just trudged, ecstatic that I had run a dream 21 miler that I had only imagined. We were along the Hudson now, Albany in site. I grew incredibly happy as people passed me, PR in hand, knowing that harder training and an attempt at Boston will be next. Walking and happy. Need a Sherpa for next time. Need Brian.

Finally, people ahead. This is it. Ed, Emily, and BRIAN. Waiting for me. I was cooked and BRIAN paced me the last half mile. He was incredible, encouraging, understanding. I had my Sherpa. He told me to get going and acted impressed when I took off for the final .2. BRIAN ran me in. It felt nice.

Finished, a huge table of sweets, which I feasted on. Jennifer ran a great race and got her Boston. Glen struggled late and Sherpa helped him get his BQ. And I beat my 3:53. It was a great day. Beers, whirlpool, long drive home, happy.


So that was our Mohawk Hudson weekend. I loved it and you should do this one.

2 comments:

webmistress,  October 29, 2009 at 3:13 PM  

GREAT story!! Thanks for sharing. Brian, want to run with me in Philly?

--dana

Jordan,  October 30, 2009 at 9:34 AM  

Dave. Great story. Many laughs at the expense of your effort and pain. Hats off to you, Glen, jennifer and Brian. Plus many cheers to Ed & Emily for their dedicated cheering.

Jordan

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP