Sizzling Summer Healthy Eating Tips
| Anne H |
Bring on the Burgers
I actually had a pretty good burger at a local spot last night, and come to think of it, I was not feeling a wee bit guilty about it at all. Whenever I decide to go for the sirloin, I’m always evaluating, “hummm, when was my last burger, or steak?” Not sure if you do the same, but I find it a little comical.
If you frequently eat burgers, and indulge in the toppings, a healthy switch on the bacon and cheddar would be to request a multi–grain bun, mushrooms (shrooms bolster immune health, as noted by Health Magazine). If you are a portabella lover, try some of those, as they have as many antioxidants as red peppers or carrots.
For the greens, try some arugula, and keep it to dark leafy greens, as leafy greens when broken down into phytochemicals may help prevent breast cancer. I typically stay away from cheese, (I know that is hard to do). When your meal comes to the table, you will have a very healthy burger choice, ready to be devoured!
Please Pass the Veggies
On to summer veggies! Broccoli, carrots, oh, we all know about our summer veggies, but lets try to see how we can make this a bit more interesting. A vegetable succotash as your veggie side dish makes a really nice way to enjoy a serving of vegetables, in a nice, fresh, crispy, summer way. Try the recipe, below, as a side dish to your fish or chicken dinners. You can make an entire container, and pick from it all week. Take it to lunch too for the office!
Summer Succotash Recipe
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium high. Add 1 cup frozen baby lima beans, thawed; ½ cup corn; and 1 pint grape tomatoes. Cook, tossing occasionally until tomatoes burst (about 3-4 minutes). Stir in 1 tablespoon grated parmesan and ½ cut fresh basil leaves, torn. Squeeze fresh lemon over the top and you are all set!
Corn on the Cob Deliciousness!
Try sprinkling your grilled corn on the cob with grated parmesan, you will fall in love.
Sorry for the short blog, but the summer is calling!
-Anne H.

0 comments:
Post a Comment