Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Flyers Spring Happy Hour

Gretchen H
On May 2nd, Flyers gathered together at the Mad Hatter Saloon to welcome new Flyers, celebrate Boston Marathon finishers, promote the Flyers Spring Marathon Training Program, donate used running shoes to those in need, and, most important, to have fun. As a new Flyer ("Hi! My name is Gretchen") and fairly new resident of New York City, it was an excellent way to meet Flyers and learn more about the organization and local races. 
One of the event's co-organizer's, NY Flyers Secretary Shira Z, got everyone's attention so that she could provide friendly, informative and inspiring welcoming remarks.  Or so it seemed.  At the precise moment that she began to speak, music began blaring so loudly that no one could hear a word she said.  But the staff at the Mad Hatter were great, as they were the entire evening, and they turned the music down so we could hear what Shira had to say.

Why did I join the Flyers, you might ask?  I moved to NYC last July, searched for a realtor whose profile mentioned running (if you can’t trust a runner, then who can you trust?) and found David V, a Flyer. During the apartment search, he encouraged me to attend a Tuesday night speedwork session, which was great! At that point, I decided that once I got settled and established a routine, I would join the Flyers. Unfortunately, my new job doesn’t really allow for a routine -- most weeks I travel Monday through Thursday, if not Friday. I officially joined the Flyers in November but it took a small miracle, the perfect alignment of the stars and moon, before I was finally able to attend a Flyer event.

I was a bit nervous entering the Mad Hatter Saloon not knowing the majority of the people. I was a newbie.  And there was a large turn-out thanks to the efforts of Shira Z, Lara K and Flyers Member at Large Debbie P in putting together the social event.  But there is something about being surrounded by people who share a similar love for running, which puts your worries immediately at ease. Every Flyer that I met was truly awesome. There were all levels of runners and all distances represented. It was a motivating and educational event. I had no idea how quickly races sell out or that there were points races!
 
All Smiles With my New Friend Flyer Elizabeth A.
And Making a Fashion Statement With My Boston Marathon Finishers Medal
There is still so much more to learn. I am very excited to get involved with the Flyers and hope that it won’t take another five months before I can make another event.

-Gretchen H

1 comments:

Scott,  May 9, 2012 at 12:05 PM  

Hi Gretchen,

Thanks for your post, congratulations on your Boston Marathon, and welcome to the Flyers! It was great meeting/talking with you at the Mad Hatter, and hopefully your crazy schedule will allow you to make another Flyer social event soon!

Scott

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP