More On the Ironman U.S. Championship
![]() |
| Heather M |
I made my Ironman debut on August 11th at the Ironman U.S. Championship in NYC. My training was with a small group and I basically kept it “under wraps” since registering last June because I was an extremely inexperienced triathlete and, basically, a non-swimmer. Until this year, I’d only completed two sprint triathlons during the six years prior and did the backstroke in both! I needed to wrap my own head around the idea before I could breathe a word to anyone.
After 8 months of steady training — five half marathons; one 89-degree Boston Marathon; six Century Rides; one duathlon; one sprint triathlon; one Olympic triathlon; one Half Ironman; countless open water, pool and stroke clinics; and many other rides and runs — I finally felt ready!
I eventually came out of the IM “closet” on Facebook the night before the event by posting an inspiring quote by Eleanor Roosevelt (You Learn By Living (1960), 29-30):
“You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face.... You must do the thing you think you cannot do.” Ironman US Championship – August 11, 2012.
In response, I received a humbling display of encouraging support, kind words and heartwarming admiration. There was no turning back now, nor did I want to. The news of a sewage leak in the Hudson only heightened my desire to do the swim. I was afraid it would cancel, and by now I really longed for the chance to become an Ironman. I knew it would never feel legitimate if that 2.4 miles was dropped.
And what about all that IM gear I bought at the Expo?!Would I even be able to wear it in good conscious?!
Could anyone legitimately don a Boston Marathon jacket if Heartbreak Hill was removed?!!
At 4:45 pm the day before the race when we received the news that the swim was on, I was practically giddy and doing a jig on the ferry ride back from bike rack transition. All this emotion and excitement, from a non-swimmer?! I sort of surprised myself. Normally fearful of the swim, I was now determined to see it through. I wanted more than anything now to have the opportunity to compete in and ultimately finish this long journey. The threat of losing it for 48 hours just fueled my desire.
![]() |
| Flyers Basil A and Ray S Returning from Checking Their Bags and Bikes for the IM |
![]() |
| GW Bridge Twinkles It's Encouragement As the Swimmers Approach Transition to the Bike |
The Ironman was humbling, inspiring, and amazingly rewarding. It was also, at times, excruciatingly painful. A day I trained for, for months. An experience I’ll never forget.
Sewage spills, 4:00 a.m. ferry ride, jumping feet first into the wide-open Hudson, river currents! Sighting markers: Palisades cliffs and a great grey bridge stanchion – 2.4 miles Large tents for my “costume” changes, bare-assed in front of a gaggle of volunteer Sherpas, dressing, rushing, barely catching your breath, excitement – Transitions Parkway closed, helicopters hovering overhead, drive-by pit stops, occasional crashes, strewn cycling detritus, 40.2 mph, leg cramps, PB'n'J, frozen calorie bottles – 112 miles Humid and hill laden state park, soothing chicken broth, softly lit George Washington Bridge at twilight, my name in pink chalk on a top step, athlete camaraderie, running with friends, photographer friends, big cheers, bright posters, the FANTABULOUS FLYERS, sprinting to the finish with a pack of squealing children and more friends, smiles, the “voice” of Mike Reilly beckoning like a siren and finally anointing my own finish with: “Heather Marcellis, you are an IRONMAN!” – 26.2 miles |
![]() |
| Happy Heather Ironman |
On that unforgettable Saturday, I looked fear firmly in the eye.
I’m now a true believer in the inspiring Ironman motto. Indeed,
“Anything IS Possible!"
-Heather M





0 comments:
Post a Comment