Friday, February 8, 2013

Who Was Flyer of the Year? (a.k.a. I Demand A Recount!)

Dave K
"I demand a recount!"  

That was my first thought when my name was called at this year's Flyers Annual Awards Gala to come up and receive the Flyer of the Year (FOTY) award.  Apparently I was to believe that I received the most FOTY votes from the Flyers membership in the bitterly fought campaign (ha!) waged between me and the other three candidates.

Hmm, I wondered, since the vote was conducted on-line as part of the annual Executive Board election process, maybe someone accidentally hacked into the system and changed the vote count?

Surely, something was amiss.

But not wanting to cause a commotion (I was way too woozy on my one beer to cause a stir), I decided to simply accept the award and pretend I was accompanied to the podium by the three other nominees  LARA K, GLEN W and MARK R.  If you haven't yet read about some of the many achievements and contributions of these three fine Flyers, or if you'd like to read about them again, please do so by clicking HERE.

Well, a few weeks ago, I'd suggested to the FOTY award nominees that it'd be great if whoever received the award would write something for the Flyers Blog since it's been sort of a mini-tradition started by the Flyers' first Blogmaster, Eric S.  Soooo, since the award was presented to me, I figured I better write something wise and eloquent.  But, instead, what's in this write-up is all that you're getting from me :)

One thing I would like to say is that the FOTY award, to me, isn't a personal award.  Instead, I feel that it represents the spirit of the Flyers and is an award that we all share together. It celebrates everything that is good within the Flyers, with that goodness extending well beyond any one individual.

The Flyers provide all of us with so many opportunities to give, to receive, to help, to love, to learn, to express ourselves, to care for and support each other, to squabble and then forgive, to run towards what inspires us (or away from what frightens us).  And to play together, dance together, and look amazing together (click here for pics of Flyers at the Gala doing just that, with a couple of samples, below).

Christine L, Alan G, Bo K, Julie W, Louie R
Bo K and Elle G
Looking Strong and Having Fun!
Of course we all have our egos, and mine is massively mighty.  Yes, it's flattering and feels good to be nominated and to receive an award.  There were lots of great awards received by lots of fantastic Flyers at the Gala (you can click HERE to see the list), and each recipient should feel proud   just as we all feel proud and happy for each recipient.  So not to worry, there's no false modesty intended here. My head is sufficiently swelled as I bask in my delusional glory :)

Nevertheless, my ego must confess that it believes that the FOTY award is important because it honors the Flyers.  It is the Flyers as a club in its entirety that each year is the FOTY, says me.

Sooooo, who was the FOTY in 2012, every year prior, and in each year yet to come? At the risk of not sounding gracious for being voted the award, I believe that distinction goes to the NY Flyers.

Congratulations Flyers for an award that all of us earn together and may enjoy together!  Just don't let it go to our heads

-Dave K, NY Flyers Blogmaster

1 comments:

Richard February 8, 2013 at 9:59 AM  

Dave:

You totally deserved the award. In fact, Glen, Mark and Lara did also. The Flyers have spoken.

Lots of Flyers voted for Glen, Mark and Lara but you did receive more votes than any of them.

I can't explain why people vote but I know that many Flyers see you as the epitome of team spirit and that you represent the best of what the Flyers are about.

Enjoy your award. It really is an honor and you deserve it.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP