Flyer Mondays
![]() |
| Jon L |
Do you like to run? Of course you do! You’re a Flyer and that’s what we do. I had the good fortune to stumble upon the
Flyers when I moved back to NYC a few years ago and I am richer in friends and
running experience as a result.
I am writing today about the
Monday night group run. This run has long been
a staple of the Flyer’s calendar and is one of my favorites. The chief ringleader of this run is Anick
J with special guest leader appearances by some of our fellow Flyers from
time to time (including Maribeth C, Brett S and Mark R). Mark also frequently provides the services of
his Jeep as baggage storage to facilitate the run.
It is a great way to get a jump on the week’s
training on a scenic course with a group of people who genuinely love to
run. Who could ask for anything
more? We meet at 13th and 8th
(west side of Jackson Square park – close to stops for the A,C,E,1,2,3,L) and
make our way down the west side including portions of Battery Park and the Hudson
Greenway.
The map at the right shows
the general course of the run. Please
pardon the obvious GPS issues in Battery Park City. Some people blame the tall buildings for
causing GPS issues, or it could be the proximity to Goldman Sachs causing a ripple
in the time-space continuum. Perhaps if
you join us, you can help us sort out this thorny issue.
So what is so special about this run? For me it involves the three things that I
like about running.
Thing 1 – Running
with people
My own running tends to be a solitary effort most of the
time. The combination of a busy work
schedule and a long commute leads to many runs done at odd hours. Monday nights are a welcome oasis on my
training calendar as I get to have a run with some fellow Flyers that always
makes the 6 miles feel very short. A
nice range of running paces is available, so I can always find someone
to run with whether I am doing a recovery run or something more up tempo. Just
look at these smiling faces:
| Michael R, Liz R, Nick J, Mark R and Brett S |
Thing 2 – Running outside
in a scenic place
For those of you who have not run on the Hudson Greenway,
you are missing one of the gems of the city.
I live downtown and do most of my runs along the Hudson. It is really a runner’s paradise where you
can typically run in an non-crowded space (compared to Central Park) while
being safe from cars. On Monday nights,
we are frequently treated to views like this one:
Thing 3 – Proper
post-run hydration and refueling
As runners, we all know how important it is to properly
hydrate and refuel after a run to facilitate recovery. Given that my fellow Flyers are wise and
caring about my health, I am touched by their efforts to make sure that I do
not ignore this important part of proper training. Accordingly, on the first Monday of the
month, the run typically ends in an establishment that offers the correct
post-run recovery nutrition. Below is a typical example of a carbohydrate enriched beverage that we consume:
So there you have it…a nice run with great people in a
scenic place with beer. I can’t think of
a better way to start my training week. I
hope to see you there next Monday.
-Jon L.
-Jon L.



0 comments:
Post a Comment