A Visit to the Netherlands
A Visit to the Netherlands — Canals, Trains, Bicycles and Dunes
by Papa Bear
My wife and I spent 10 days in the Netherlands in
September, primarily in the area near Amsterdam. For her it was to attend a meeting of an organization she belongs to.
For me it was as a tourist and allowed me to spend the time learning about and enjoying a country I had never been to.
Yes, I did a little running, but that was almost an afterthought. I characterize this experiences as being about canals, trains, bicycles and dunes, in no particular order. Of course that means I left out windmills, churches, museums, dikes, statues, restaurants with great food, Peace Palaces, town squares, hidden churches, Market Day in Leiden, De Rosse Buurt, etc., etc. You could probably think of more. But I decided to concentrate of a few things and leave it to you to go there and check out the many other things. And yes, I would also enjoy going back to enjoy this beautiful country again.
Enjoy,
Papa Bear
Yes, I did a little running, but that was almost an afterthought. I characterize this experiences as being about canals, trains, bicycles and dunes, in no particular order. Of course that means I left out windmills, churches, museums, dikes, statues, restaurants with great food, Peace Palaces, town squares, hidden churches, Market Day in Leiden, De Rosse Buurt, etc., etc. You could probably think of more. But I decided to concentrate of a few things and leave it to you to go there and check out the many other things. And yes, I would also enjoy going back to enjoy this beautiful country again.
Enjoy,
Papa Bear
Canals: For drainage, for commerce, for defense and for relaxing
| A |
![]() |
Looking south from the harbor through the old part of Amsterdam |
![]() |
A canal, once used to ship grain,
|
![]() |
The Singelgracht Canal |
![]() |
Relaxing for food or drinks with friends |
Trains: clean, fast and cheap!
|
![]() |
A Tram outside of Amsterdam Central Station |
We took trains from Haarlem to The Hague, then to Leiden and numerous times to Amsterdam, plus local buses, trams and metros (subways) along the way. This excellent transit system, plus the emphasis on bicycles for local trips, illustrates the Netherland's attempt to cope with the the issues of energy use and pollution.
Bicycles: they are everywhere and are used by everyone!
|
![]() |
Kids riding in a wooden bin |
It's hard to describe how big a difference this culture of bikes is compared to any notion I carried with me from New York. But, as they say, a picture is worth 1000 words.
Here's a picture of a New York City bike rental station: And here's a picture of a bike parking lot for Amsterdam's Central Train Station: To use a word I usually like to avoid — Awesome!.
At Last, Some Running: over the Dunes in Zuid-Kennemerland National Park!
| W |
But I did get to do a long run — twice! It turns out we were staying with my wife's friend, Ellie, in Bloemendaal, a place about 15 miles west of Amsterdam, a little north of Haarlem. Bloemendaal is about 4 miles from the North Sea and between it and the sea is a large National Park — Zuid-Kennemerland National Park — consisting almost entirely of sand dunes. Over the centuries these dunes supplied fresh water to Amsterdam and also protected the cities from flooding from the sea. Before the park was created, much of the area was undeveloped except for some large estates owned by the wealthy. The coming of the National Park protected this area as a watershed and as a unique natural environment. And because the area was laced with old roads and paths, these were designated as bike paths, hiking (and running) paths and equestrian paths. There are only a few areas accessible by auto and almost the entire park is slowly reverting to it's original natural state, including native flora and fauna. The next picture gives a good sense of the area. It was taken from a high dune about ⅔ of the way across to the sea. Click on the picture for a larger version.
And here's an excellent link with lots more information on this valuable resource: Zuid Kennemerland National Park (pdf)
![]() |
View from a high dune of the North Sea and the Visitor's Center |
Our hostess, Ellie, is an avid walker and suggested following a hiking path over to the North Sea and back, which was supposed to be about 12 kilometers, and which took about 4 hours round trip to walk. This seemed great, and I studied her map and took off early Sunday morning for my run. Unfortunately about halfway through, just before I should have reached the North Sea, I lost the trail and got disoriented. At first I asked walkers and bikers I encountered how to get to the sea (everyone spoke English, thank goodness) but after going this way and that, I gave that up and tried to ask how to get back. Unfortunately I didn't know the (Dutch) name of where I started, so that didn't work. Finally I recalled that there was a soccer club at the park entrance (actually more of a drinking club whose members occasionally played or watched some games on the field in front of the club) and if I asked how to get to the "football club", I was good. Eventually I got back safe and sound, with plenty of pictures and called it a day.
A week later I got to have a "do-over", only this time I took a map. I saw some beautiful areas, met some very tame "wild" animals and lots of nice folks, saw the sea, and got back fine and dandy. The mileage (see the route map below) was between 9 and 10 miles, but the dunes made that the equivalent of a good deal more. After finishing and studying the map I realized I was very close to the sea when I had given up on the previous attempt, but in retrospect I'm glad I did it twice. If you ever go to Amsterdam, find this place and take a nice run. But remember to get a map and take it with you.
I have put together a slideshow which shows the main points along the way. It's worth a look (it comes up in another window in front of this one). Here it is: (Note: the slideshow runs at a fairly rapid rate. If you want to slow it down, move the mouse over the bottom of the picture and click the "+" on the "seconds".)
Here's a map of my route. Click HERE and you'll get an interactive Google Map.
![]() |
USATF Map of the route over the Dunes |
A word on our itinerary
| W |
You could probably fit an equivalent amout of activity into a week's visit, but since the largest cost is almost always the air fare, I recommend you spend as much time there as you can afford to allocate. But of course that advice pretty much applies to any vacation.
Enjoy!
This post was adapted from a report on Papa Bear's web site:
A Visit to the Netherlands










0 comments:
Post a Comment