Monday, December 2, 2013

Under The Influence (and Over The Top): Reflections on the Run SMART Project Marathon Training Program and the 2013 NYC Marathon

Bobby B

To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift -- Steve Prefontaine

That quote really inspires me every time I read it. In no way am I implying that I have such a gift, either for running or writing a blog post, but I feel very strongly that if you are going to do anything, you should always give it your best.

I’ve been a proud singlet-wearing member of NY Flyers since 2003, but really began running seriously way back in 1990 when I ran my first NYC Marathon (no chips or net times back then!). Since then I have run more than 150 NYRRC races, and 22 marathons or ultra-marathons including: 
  • 17 marathons (14 New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Paris) and 
  • 5 Knickerbocker 60k ultra-marathons.
Photo

I have always strived to give it my all for each and every one of these runs. However, over the past few years my results have more consistently not met my expectations (especially since “graduating” to “Flyers Vet" status) even while following some dedicated personal training routines.

So in May 2013, and with the NYC Marathon in mind, I was ready to do something bold and decided to join the affordable 18-week fully personalized Fall Marathon Training Program (MTP) designed by legendary coach Jack Daniels and the Run SMART Project, sometimes affectionately referred to as “Running Under the Influence of Jack Daniels” (or so says the very cool t-shirt that I bought at the pasta dinner).

Photo

I’m really glad I signed up. Here's a summary of what stood out for me:

    PHILOSOPHY: The program’s ultimate goal makes a lot of sense to me:

Get each and every runner to the start line fully prepared, rested, and healthy to run a great race. 


It’s too bad that elite American distance runner Ryan Hall didn’t follow this mantra, trained too aggressively, and was forced to withdraw from the 2013 NYC Marathon.

    INTRO: The program kicked off with a "Meet and Greet" at Finish Line Physical Therapy in June which provided the opportunity to hear about the program from Run SMART Founder and Head Coach Brian Rosetti, to meet his coaching staff, and to ask questions.

    PRE-HAB NOT REHAB: The program included a free Finish Line PT peak performance/injury prevention analysis screening. From my own peak performance analysis “report card” I learned a lot about my gait (e.g. heel striker, limited hip extension with high knee lift, lazy right arm swing, tight hip flexors) and was given some specific dynamic three-dimensional stretching exercises (e.g. hip flexor stretch, calf stretch) to help me strengthen these muscles and improve my running form. 

I even bought a The Grid foam roller and followed these Self Myofascial Release techniques which helped me keep loose both before and after runs. Finish Line PT also provided some very good strength training workouts:  (Workout A / Workout B)

    SIZE MATTERS: The program was capped at 80 runners to maximize personal attention. My Run SMART coach (Steve Mucchetti), leader of the Lennon team (each one of the running groups was named after one of the Fab Four) offered additional advice, support and guidance throughout the training and was readily available to answer my questions and address my concerns. A big shout out to Steve and best of luck to him in his move out to London!

    PERSONALIZED TRAINING SCHEDULE: The program included an individualized 18-week training schedule designed by Dr. Jack Daniels and every runner was given a precise pace for each and every one of his/her workouts and runs based on running history. An easy-to-use online training calendar was provided to log and manage this training. 

One key value listed in the calendar and computed for each runner is something called VDOT. According to Jack Daniels it is a better value from which to assess fitness and determine training paces. With the result of a recent competition, a runner can find his or her VDOT value and determine an "equivalent performance" at a different race distance.  For example, my current VDOT of 40.2 predicated an estimated 4:15 NYC Marathon finish.

    WORKOUTS: Probably the single most valuable aspect of the program for me was the in-person group coaching led by Run SMART coaches every Wednesday evening in Central Park at 7pm. Workouts consisted of repetitions, intervals, and thresholds, mostly on a rotating bases. There also were three MTP organized long runs, including two in Central Park and the famous NY Flyers Three Bridges Long Training Run.

    NUTRITION: World-class distance runner and coach Alicia Shay provided two very helpful live Google Hangout marathon nutrition Q/A sessions at the beginning and end of training (please click HERE to view the video for Part 1 and HERE for Part 2).

    JACK DANIELS: Listening to guest speaker Jack Daniels at the NY Flyers Pre-Marathon Pasta Party was a truly inspirational event. At 80 years and looking as fit as can be, his charisma was contagious and I pocketed a few of his pearls of wisdom for the approaching marathon just a few days later. 


Jack Daniels Holding Court at the
NY Flyers 2013 Pre-Marathon Pasta Party
Some of his classic quotes included these:

If you want to do something special, do it in the last 4-5 miles. When you run any race of any distance, run with your head for at least two thirds of the race, and run with your heart for last third.  Don’t get carried away early.

Focus on the task at hand, e.g. you should never have to breath harder than a 2x2 breathing rhythm = 2 steps bringing in, 2 steps breathing out.

There are 3 kinds of people in the world: 1. Those who are dumber than they look, 2. Those who are not as dumb as they look, 3. Those who are exactly as dumb as they look. You might be an optimist and say that you are smarter than you look but that’s really the same as saying that you are not as dumb as you look.

You need to practice drinking. Avoid losing 3% of your body weight.

Long runs shouldn’t be more than 25% of your total week. Instead, consider “bunching” weekend runs (e.g. 10mi on Sat night, 12mi on Sun morning).

30 minutes is big time. Your body function improves tremendously with 30 minutes of exercise. 60 minutes is more but only a very little more.

In the end, the proof is in the pudding. As my old NYU accounting professor was fond of saying, "figures don’t lie, liars figure." So, what results can validate this 18-week training investment?

Well, for this year’s NYC Marathon, I did not meet the 4:15 time goal that my VDOT would have predicted. Instead, I came in at 4:36, a difference of just over 20 minutes, a reasonable portion of which I’ll blame on the ~15mph headwind that brutally greeted runners for a majority of the race.

Photo

Still, I am very satisfied with this result. This NYC marathon finish time represents my best in the last 5 years and my 6th fastest marathon ever. I should have mentioned much earlier, too, that I’m a middle-of-the-pack runner.

As a footnote, I felt so good after the marathon that I also ran my 5th Knickerbocker 60k only 2 weeks later and posted a PR of 7:16, almost 20 minutes faster than my previous best set back in 2009 (I guess those 20 minutes were owed to me from the NYC marathon just a few weeks prior).

So, did the Run Smart MTP contribute to my improved performance over recent years? Well, all I know is that I ran Under the Influence (and Over the Top). I ran SMART. I truly gave it my best.

-Bobby B

1 comments:

Sam and Dad December 2, 2013 at 2:08 PM  

Well, it does not surprise me that we have some really articulate 'mates who got something good out of Jack's and Brian's MTP. Bobby, thank you for the succinctly put rehashing of your training season and race experiences. It sure sounds like you got SMART and ran under the influence...very cool that you "took back" the 20 minutes owed you from the marathon in the 60K two weeks later...what a super accomplishment at both ends.

Hope to see you at the holiday party!

Cheers,

Alan G.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP