Friday, February 27, 2015

Greetings From Your 2015 Member at Large

Kim A.
Well hello there Flyers! I'm the club's 2015 Member at Large, and I had the great pleasure of meeting a lot of folks at the Annual Awards Gala this year. For those whose memory of the night is a little foggy (mine sure is!), I was the short person stood next to Alan G. I had an absolute blast co-MCing the event, and it was an honor to be able to give out so many awards to such great people.

Running is a relatively new thing in my life. Having moved to NYC from London in 2012, I was looking for things to do that would get me out of the 5 block radius I found myself frequenting simply because my office was at the center. A friend of mine asked me to come for a run so I begrudgingly agreed. A few weeks later I completed my first 10k, and 18 months after that I completed my first marathon! Somewhere in amidst the romance that I began with this sport, and on advice from good friends (who I am sure I have name-dropped enough by now), I joined the best running club in New York!

I’m hugely delighted that I now can combine my new passion (running) with my other passion (socializing) as your Member At Large for 2015. In order to get this year off to a Flying (haha) start, I have set up a Social Committee to help organize events and Gary H and Steve K have very kindly stepped up. And whoa Flyers, have we got a fun-filled 2015 in store for you!!

We have some new ideas and are looking to organize a wine tasting event later in the year, plus all the usual events you have come to enjoy such as the NYC Marathon Pasta Party and the Holiday Party. We are also bringing back some much-loved events such as TGIFF (Thank Goodness It’s Flyers Friday) every second week beginning Spring. A full calendar of events will be published soon on our website as well as regular Facebook updates.

We’re also going to publish Flyers meeting points both pre- and post-race for NYRR and NYCRUNS races throughout the year so that Flyers always know where to go to get that moral support before a race or share the kudos afterwards. The first race we have coming up is the Washington Heights 5k on March 1st. After the race we plan to go to the traditional bar - Coogan’s - and I will personally be there racing and hoping to see as many Flyers as possible. You may click HERE for the details and to sign up for the festivities.

Looking forward to working with you all this year.  For those interested in participating on the Social Committee, please contact me by clicking HERE. And if you ever need to contact me throughout the year for assistance on anything pertaining to the Flyers, please feel free to reach out to me by email, through the website or via Flyers Facebook.


GO FLYERS!  

-Kim A.

2 comments:

Anonymous,  February 27, 2015 at 11:22 AM  

Kim,
So glad that you have joined the Flyers and assumed your roles as MAL and head of the Social Committee. Great blog post, too! :)

Steve Kairys

Anonymous,  February 27, 2015 at 12:49 PM  

Great ideas - looking forward to the post-race meeting points to celebrate after events.

We should also organize a Comedy Night and bring in a few folks to make fun of our competitive, Type-A tendencies... :)

Elizabeth

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP