The Boston Marathon: A Revolutionary Experience
![]() |
| Karin A. |
With the sudden crack of a gun the
journey started, reminiscent of the first shots fired at Lexington and Concord
that would lead to one of the greatest battles of all time for freedom and
independence. The runners were off and there was no turning back.
“The Boston Marathon is an
experience like no other race.” I continued to hear this up until race day. For
me, it was hard to grasp until I experienced it first hand. This is the story
of my first Boston Marathon; the people I met, the energy I felt, and my renewed
determination to become a better runner.
Boston is held on Patriots' Day, and
it’s no accident. The American Revolution was a hard-fought battle with ups and
downs, wins and losses. A ragtag group of citizens, disorganized and without
military experience, picked up arms to go up against the mightiest military
power in the world. They were on a quest for freedom, and in the process they
built strength as a community and tested their limits of endurance. Great sacrifices
were made, but in the end they prevailed.
When I arrived in Boston on Saturday,
it was clear that the city belonged to the runners that weekend. The streets
were dotted with banners, and the runners were easily identifiable by their
Boston garb. Mostly veteran runners, they proudly donned their colorful jackets
corresponding to the year (or perhaps one of many) when they previously ran. It
was a little intimidating to see so many fit athletes strolling confidently
with their jackets, wearing them as well-earned badges of honor. As for myself,
I had my purple 2015 jacket neatly tucked away in my suitcase with the tags
still attached. I figured I hadn’t earned it yet, and while still nursing an
injury from February, I was concerned whether I would finish the race at all.
RACE DAY
On race day morning, I was wandering
around Boston Commons with countless other runners waiting to board the big
yellow school buses that would drive us to the start in the town of Hopkinton. In
and around the Commons, I could hear runners clickety-clacking about the route,
the weather, and their times. The morning was unusually cool with the promise
of rain and headwinds in the forecast, and runners puttered around in throwaway
clothes trying to keep warm.
The BAA is extraordinarily
organized, including everything from the pre-race newsletters to the hyper-detailed
instructions on what to do before, during, and after the race. In preparation
at Boston Commons, much of this organization was apparent; runners were gently
directed to fill the buses early and often, and when it was time to head to the
start, a fleet of yellow buses would take off one wave after another. It was an
impressive sight.
We arrived at Athletes' Village,
which housed amenities for runners waiting their start times where they could
indulge in last minute necessities; more potty breaks, extra carbs, and warm
coffee to quell the shivers. When the wave was called, runners would walk
nearly three-quarters of a mile to the start line. On the way, BAA volunteers
offered pre-race waters and collected discard clothing.
![]() |
| Volunteers Collecting Clothes |
The local residents
were already outside in the cool weather watching and supporting the runners as
they approach the start line. A woman in her pajamas, swaddled in a blanket, waved
warmly from her porch as she shouted words of admiration and encouragement to
the lot of strangers walking past her home.
As soon as I reached my corral it
started to rain on cue, like the first note of a great symphony about to engage
in a seemingly endless and magical musical journey. It was invigorating. The
excitement of the race was palpable and the runners were ready.
THE RACE IS ON
Crack! The gun went off. So would
start the 26.2-mile journey that we had been waiting for months or maybe even
years to take. It was a mixture of exhilaration and the slow onset of
wistfulness, in anticipation that in a few short hours it would be over.
The route is a series of gently
rolling hills streaming like a ribbon through quaint towns. Locals lined the
route to cheer on the runners as we made our way into Boston proper. From
Hopkinton to Ashland to Framingham and onward, the borders from town to town
were peppered with fun-loving rowdy early-morning drinkers and loud rock. At
one point, we came across a small group of men cheering in front of church
wearing denim and bright orange shirts, joined by more official-looking
uniformed officers. A few of us runners commened quizzically that they looked
like prisoners.
As soon as we hit the 12-mile mark, we knew we were approaching the famous Wellesley girls and their Wall of Sound. Admittedly, I wasn’t looking forward to the overwhelming sound of screaming young ladies. You could definitely hear them at least a mile out. As soon as we hit the heart of Wellesley, it was a delight. The enthusiasm from the girls was infectious, and the vibration I felt throughout my body from the sound was elating.
As soon as we hit the 12-mile mark, we knew we were approaching the famous Wellesley girls and their Wall of Sound. Admittedly, I wasn’t looking forward to the overwhelming sound of screaming young ladies. You could definitely hear them at least a mile out. As soon as we hit the heart of Wellesley, it was a delight. The enthusiasm from the girls was infectious, and the vibration I felt throughout my body from the sound was elating.
Around mile 16, before the famous
Newton hills, I saw a sign that read, "The Kenyans are drinking your beer."
Needless to say, this gave me an extra boost to power over the dreaded
hills. And those Newton hills weren’t so bad. In fact it was the smaller and seldom-mentioned mini hills after Heartbreak that were the real
kicker. But it didn’t matter. I felt great and I was within reach of my goal
(and on my way to earn my purple jacket!).
As you enter Boylston Street, the buildings get taller, the street gets wider, and wide-eyed crowd thickens with shouts of encouragement – “You got this!” – “You look great!” – “You’re almost there!” I felt cloaked in their cheers and roars as I raced ahead for the blue and yellow banner.
POST-RACE REFLECTIONS
One of the most remarkable aspects of the race is the strong will of the runners. Many people I spoke to were aiming for times well under 4 hours and some even less than 3. But it wasn’t only about time. Victims of the 2013 bombings, including some of whom lost limbs, were there in a show of resilience and determination. There were also cancer survivors and people with severe physical disabilities who finished the race in triumph. It was awe-inspiring and moving.
One of the most remarkable aspects of the race is the strong will of the runners. Many people I spoke to were aiming for times well under 4 hours and some even less than 3. But it wasn’t only about time. Victims of the 2013 bombings, including some of whom lost limbs, were there in a show of resilience and determination. There were also cancer survivors and people with severe physical disabilities who finished the race in triumph. It was awe-inspiring and moving.
At a post-race Sam Adams brewery
tour, I met Bill Iffrig. Bill was knocked down by the blast in 2013 just 20
feet from the finish line. He was featured in what’s now an iconic photograph
from the cover of Sports Illustrated, with him on the ground and three police
officers coming to his rescue.
Fortunately, Bill sustained only minor injuries, and in the midst of the smoke and chaos, he stood up and assessed himself and decided he was well enough to continue and cross the finish line. And he did. He was 78 years old. He ran again this year at the age of 80 and finished in 4:23:13.
Fortunately, Bill sustained only minor injuries, and in the midst of the smoke and chaos, he stood up and assessed himself and decided he was well enough to continue and cross the finish line. And he did. He was 78 years old. He ran again this year at the age of 80 and finished in 4:23:13.
| With Bill Iffrig |
The day after the race, I strutted
down the streets in Jamaica Plain in my well-earned purple jacket on my way to
the famous Doyle’s Cafe for one last Sam Adams and a bowl of clam chowder. A man
shouted congratulations from his car as he drove by, and a woman with four
small kids did the same as we crossed paths on the sidewalk. I felt like a
celebrity. Boston is a city with great pride, history, and strength, and this
was tangible in all corners of this city of rebels.
Back in NYC, it seemed as though
spring had arrived in my absence as trees in all directions were blooming
fiercely. The feelings of my brief stint as a celebrity were diluted and I went
back to being just another runner in Central Park. But I put on my purple badge
of honor and began to plot how I would work my way back to qualify for Boston.
I reflected on the great runners that I met on my journey and took inspiration
from the resilient souls that prevailed against the odds to run the Boston
Marathon.
I want to say a special thanks to the many friends, family, fellow runners, and
acquaintances that showed me an overwhelming amount of support; people that
took time to say good luck and congratulations in the midst of busy schedules,
personal struggles, and even family tragedies. Your selflessness and warmth
will not soon be forgotten.
-Karin A.




1 comments:
Well done Karin! Sounds like an amazing experience! Congratulations and best of luck getting back to Boston
Post a Comment