Flyer of the Year: Bill Schleining
![]() |
| Bill S. |
Thank You
It is quite an honor to have been awarded the
Flyer of the Year, especially when there are so many other Flyers who
contribute so much to the club and their teammates. I know the things I did to help out were really
just a lot of fun. And, I owe a lot to all of the Flyers who have helped me
since I joined the team in 2013.
It’s Fun to Run
I’ve been running steadily since 2008, but it was in the spring
of 2013 when I decided to look into running with a group. I had watched teams
running in Westchester County where I live and around Central Park and looked
at all their web sites. Most teams I thought
would be too fast or too serious
or did nothing but run around Central Park, or only at times when I couldn’t
make it. I eventually showed up for one of the Saturday Flyer Group Runs. I was
very impressed with how friendly everyone was, and the mix of serious runners at
different levels and those who were out for just an easy conversational
run. I then went to a Thursday evening
run, which is a good time for me to run after work before heading home. I found
that to be a great group of people with a ride range of running abilities and
interests. And then I found that is true
of the entire team and all of the runs. On just about every day there’s a group
running and you can find people to run with at the pace you want on that day,
and at whatever level of socializing you’re interested in.
![]() |
| Typical Thursday Evening Run Group |
It’s Fun to Race
Before I joined the Flyers
I ran in only NYRR races to do the 9+1. Finishing at 4,599th place
in a race was not that
rewarding. But after I joined the Flyers I found I was
running more and improving my speed. Then I did the Flyers Marathon Training Program (MTP) and SpeedPass speedwork in
alternate seasons and found that my race times were improving dramatically.
More significantly, the support of teammates and encouragement of people I did
not know yelling “go Flyers" keeps me doing my best in every race.
![]() |
| 2015 NYRR Team Championships |
It’s Fun to Volunteer
I think almost all of the Flyers help each other out at one time
or another. Formally volunteering at an
event enables helping everyone and can
be even more fun than just participating. My favorite has been being a pace
leader in the long training runs. Before I was a member of the Flyers I would run in the
NYRR Long Training Runs every year. I was always very impressed with the pace
leaders and how well they maintained pace while the rest of us followed behind
as best we could. I was sure they were all former Olympians. Now I know that
it’s all my Flyer teammates who are the pace leaders and I’m delighted each
year to be one of them.
![]() |
| Pacing at NYRR Long Training Run |
It’s Fun to be a Flyer
I am thankful to all my teammates for the contributions each
person makes to participate in the club, starting with
just showing up for
events. Being a member of such a well regarded group has it’s perks. One of my favorites was at the Ironman in
Lake Placid. After 12 hours of swimming and biking I was struggling through the
marathon, which would eventually take me 5 hours. Throughout the night as I
ran/walked there would be the spectators along the course who knew the best
thing to say to keep me going- “GO FLYERS”
![]() |
| Finish Line at Ironman Lake Placid |
-Bill S.





0 comments:
Post a Comment