NYRR Father’s Day 5 Miler, June 20, 2010
Happy Father’s Day to all the Flyer dads! I hope you are all out enjoying the day with your families. In addition to being a day to honor and appreciate our dads, the holiday also signifies another great tradition – the annual Father’s Day 5 Miler in Central Park. It is always a fan favorite and a great way to raise money for prostate cancer, and maybe even get yourself on TV, since the race is sponsored and covered by ABC-TV in New York. Even Senator Chuck Schumer was out there today to start the race and wish everyone well.
“Wow, this is going to be a hot one.” “What’s the humidity out there today?” “I hope I don’t go out too fast.” When these are a sample of the quotes you are hearing at the start of the race, you realize quickly that you will probably need to brace yourself for a tough race ahead. The humidity was pretty thick, and nearly everyone at the starting line, including myself, was already soaking wet before the gun even went off. Due to the weather conditions, an extensive warm-up wasn’t necessary, although I got an unexpected one of my own. I left my apartment later than expected and had to run about 1.5 to 2 miles to the start, and got there with only a couple minutes to spare. After rushing to drop my bag off, I was worried that the corrals were already closed off and I would have to start at the back of the pack. Luckily, I saw a friendly face volunteering at my corral and she was able to sneak me in. Thanks so much Fran! It is good having friends and fellow teammates in high places.
After the gun went off, you had the feeling that some runners we holding back, while others regretted going out too fast and realizing they were only at mile 2, with several hills to go! The fluid stations were well stocked with water, as well as great volunteers, and the runners were taking full advantage of the plentiful fluids. Many people were taking two and three cups at a time. I even found myself putting one cup on my head, one down my back and finally one in my mouth. By the time the race was halfway over, the conditions seemed to be getter tougher, whether or not that was actually the case. However, there is nothing better to help you power through a summer race (well almost, but I’ll count it as summer), than seeing your Flyer teammates giving it their all as well. It was great to see all of the Flyers getting their day off to a good start by waking up early and running or showing their support, especially with this being a points race for the guys on the team. I saw a number of them out on the course, many of them passing me - Jon B., Siggy T., Joe J. - and many others out there cheering (thanks to Sarah D. and Amy S., I believe) and taking pictures (thanks, Brian, although I was well past you before you even recognized me).

Although the heat and humidity make for a difficult race, sometimes this is a good opportunity to push through tough conditions, test your mental capacity and prove to yourself that you can make it through to the end. Not every race can be in perfect conditions and not every race can be a PR. Days like this can make you stronger for future races, even though you probably want to just collapse into a tub of ice water after crossing the finish line. Mental strength is just as important, sometimes more important, than just physical conditioning. I raced in similar conditions during the New Jersey Marathon a few weeks ago, and it took everything I had to get through and finish, and I was glad that I did. You don’t know what you are capable of running, until you face some adverse conditions every so often (although hopefully not too often).
At the finish there was a big Flyer contingent, including John Whitfield, Lisa S., Lloyd H., Sean J., Glen W., Derek R., Anthony P., Eduardo F. and Sarah D., chatting it up about the difficult conditions of the race, as well as doing their best to dry off. It was great to see some familiar faces. Congrats to the Flyers dads who made it out – John, Jamie, Joe, and probably countless others who I did not see. Good luck to all the Flyer kids who were running their own race after cheering their dads on during theirs.
Now that the race is over, I hope you got out and enjoyed the rest of your Father's Day! See you all out on the roads soon. Cheers! - Brett S., Men's Sub-masters Team Captain
“Wow, this is going to be a hot one.” “What’s the humidity out there today?” “I hope I don’t go out too fast.” When these are a sample of the quotes you are hearing at the start of the race, you realize quickly that you will probably need to brace yourself for a tough race ahead. The humidity was pretty thick, and nearly everyone at the starting line, including myself, was already soaking wet before the gun even went off. Due to the weather conditions, an extensive warm-up wasn’t necessary, although I got an unexpected one of my own. I left my apartment later than expected and had to run about 1.5 to 2 miles to the start, and got there with only a couple minutes to spare. After rushing to drop my bag off, I was worried that the corrals were already closed off and I would have to start at the back of the pack. Luckily, I saw a friendly face volunteering at my corral and she was able to sneak me in. Thanks so much Fran! It is good having friends and fellow teammates in high places.
After the gun went off, you had the feeling that some runners we holding back, while others regretted going out too fast and realizing they were only at mile 2, with several hills to go! The fluid stations were well stocked with water, as well as great volunteers, and the runners were taking full advantage of the plentiful fluids. Many people were taking two and three cups at a time. I even found myself putting one cup on my head, one down my back and finally one in my mouth. By the time the race was halfway over, the conditions seemed to be getter tougher, whether or not that was actually the case. However, there is nothing better to help you power through a summer race (well almost, but I’ll count it as summer), than seeing your Flyer teammates giving it their all as well. It was great to see all of the Flyers getting their day off to a good start by waking up early and running or showing their support, especially with this being a points race for the guys on the team. I saw a number of them out on the course, many of them passing me - Jon B., Siggy T., Joe J. - and many others out there cheering (thanks to Sarah D. and Amy S., I believe) and taking pictures (thanks, Brian, although I was well past you before you even recognized me).

Although the heat and humidity make for a difficult race, sometimes this is a good opportunity to push through tough conditions, test your mental capacity and prove to yourself that you can make it through to the end. Not every race can be in perfect conditions and not every race can be a PR. Days like this can make you stronger for future races, even though you probably want to just collapse into a tub of ice water after crossing the finish line. Mental strength is just as important, sometimes more important, than just physical conditioning. I raced in similar conditions during the New Jersey Marathon a few weeks ago, and it took everything I had to get through and finish, and I was glad that I did. You don’t know what you are capable of running, until you face some adverse conditions every so often (although hopefully not too often).
At the finish there was a big Flyer contingent, including John Whitfield, Lisa S., Lloyd H., Sean J., Glen W., Derek R., Anthony P., Eduardo F. and Sarah D., chatting it up about the difficult conditions of the race, as well as doing their best to dry off. It was great to see some familiar faces. Congrats to the Flyers dads who made it out – John, Jamie, Joe, and probably countless others who I did not see. Good luck to all the Flyer kids who were running their own race after cheering their dads on during theirs.
Now that the race is over, I hope you got out and enjoyed the rest of your Father's Day! See you all out on the roads soon. Cheers! - Brett S., Men's Sub-masters Team Captain
Jamie D. placed first for the Flyers's Men's Team in this Men's Points Race! Congrats, Jamie!



1 comments:
Great race report!
But wait, is that pic of Jamie D. really from today? Cause he looks awfully cool for the temperature this morning...
Post a Comment