Monday, July 12, 2010

The Joy of Coaching


A while back, I was given the chance to attend the RCAA coaching seminar in Annapolis (Baltimore) with the help of club President, Glen W. and President Emeritus, Heather Marcellis. At first, I questioned signing up for the course. Glen encouraged me that I would gain much more than I expected. I remember him telling me that in his coaching roles, he sacrificed his own training and speed for the sake of others, and I wondered whether I'd be willing to do this myself.

 I decided to take the course and teamed up with Glen to produce the successful Marathon Training Program (MTP) that Glen had done such a great job from years past and added flair in the graphics within the booklets.  After choosing Author and New York Times Writer, Liz Robbins (A Race like No Other), to participate in the kick off meeting,  our MTP was invited to be among other famous marathoners and great coaches on the "well blog" and marathon web section of the New York Times. This became a great accomplishment in my life -- I mean how many people get to say they were published on the NYT website?  And among the greatest marathon runners, no less?

 It was truly a blessing. Especially during the difficult economic times, when I was furloughed from my job as a junior architect.  I was forced to look for other income - which I received through a coaching job I found with the New York Road Runners Team for Kids.

The 1,000+ group of new marathoners seek guidance and training in targeting their goal on the first Sunday in November.  The dynamics of the group was hardly different than the NY Flyers, where you have a spectrum of faster and slower runners. Do you remember your first marathon experience or your training for your very first marathon? Everyone has interesting questions to ask, and as coaches we are excited by the energy, the curiosity, and the enthusiasm of these newbie runners.



At the same time, my charity group, the Alzheimer's Association, was chosen to be an official charity group for the New York City Marathon.  We received 50 bibs, but our program was not developed in the slightest. We didn't even have shirts! It was a challenge that another coach and I were willing to take. We took on the responsibility with the aim of providing a program and developing a training program to rival larger charity groups such as Team in Training and Team for Kids.  We began by offering group runs twice a week, gave appropriate apparel that only runners would appreciate (such as arm warmers, jackets and singlets) and offered learning seminars to our runners.

The larger challenge was creating a fulfilling experience for these new runners. While developing the training program, I had to ask myself what I felt like when I had ran my very FIRST MILE?  Yes folks, it goes all the way back to the basics.

 You are humbled by how much you can run, train and race as you become more of an experienced runner. Knowing how you start off and what got you started are distant memories. Take some time, think back, and reflect on how far you have come. We often just do the mileage every day and never stop to think about what we have done and how far we have come.

Most of the newbie runners ask each coach, “How many marathons have you ran?” We answer honestly to them the number and what our experiences were like. They are in awe of our accomplishments as a runner, while at the same time the coaches appreciate the “newbies” question because they bring back those memories as a new runner and the excitement of running again. These new runners are so excited to go out, train, and do the work for their goal.  It no longer becomes just a routine six mile run, it becomes a life experience.

As they climb up the mileage ladder and increase the distance they run in training, the build a series of successes that the will have to remember going forward. This is particularly true when they hit that magical twenty miler. Beforehand, if you ask any of them what to expect, most of them say that they just don't know.  They get up early that morning, feeling as nervous as if they were doing the actual marathon that day. But when they start - and then finish - it is amazing to see the smiles and excitement on their faces. Only then do they have the confidence that they can complete a marathon! And it is usually only about a month later when they finally do one.



We take these runners to places that they have never been before: in and out of Central Park, Van Cortlandt Park, throughout Brooklyn and Manhattan, and on the last ten miles of the NYC Marathon -- many places they never ever imagined running.
 Over the course of their training, some form great friendships -- many will continue to be friends for life.  Others, when you ask them why they signed up for a marathon just say that it's one of the items on their bucket list, or they want to do one after a recent life-changing event, or it's something that they just always wanted to do.



In the end, as a coach we know that our own training to run for goal time or PR in a marathon is on hold because we give up our training for others.  We are humbled by the experience, as each and every one of these newbies cross the finish line with a great big smile on their face. 

The real thanks comes in the end. The thank you e-mails of praise that their lives have been completely changed by this experience are breathtaking.  The five-month adventure is an emotional trip for many where they continue to train and run future races, and others continue to participate in group runs with their new running friends. Finally, a few end up group run leaders with the ability to train and give advice to other new runners. No matter where they end up, they will always be that accomplishment under their belt: they've run a marathon and are proud. And with their pride, comes our joy -- the joy of coaching.-Brian H.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP