Thursday, July 8, 2010

Runner's High. Runner's Bite. Runner's Drunk.

I've become curious about how high-intensity running sometimes impacts me and other runners cognitively and emotionally, but I haven't come across much written about that in the running books and magazines.  So, I'll write today about my personal perspectives and encourage others to share theirs.

RUNNER'S HIGH

People sometimes talk or write about the Runner's High.  Some say they achieve it.  Others, not so much.  A favorite quote of mine from the movie Spirit of the Marathon is by 70-yr-old Jerry Meyers who deadpans as he trains for his latest marathon that “…the only runner's high that I’ve really felt is when I stop running…”

I don't know.  Maybe I've experienced the Runner's High, although I think for me it's been more the Runner's Drunk and sometimes, the Runner's Bite, which I'll also write about.  But as reported in the NY Times, a 2008 study demonstrated that Yes, Running Can Make You High.

In the article, it’s noted that researchers in Germany published in the scientific journal Cerebral Cortex – and I do believe most Flyers subscribe to this journal -- concluded that: "Running elicits a flood of endorphins in the brain.  The endorphins are associated with mood changes, and the more endorphins a runner's body pumps out, the greater the effect."  Hence, the Runner's High.

However, for me, I find that the mood changes I experience from the endorphin rush appear to instead be more responsible for my Runner's Bite and especially my Runner's Drunk.  

RUNNER'S BITE

I've never read or heard about what I'll call the Runner's Bite, but I've experienced it, and I've also been bitten by those afflicted with it, and so I decided to name it accordingly.  I don't think the Runner's Bite has anything to do with Robert Pattinson's character, or any of the other vampire heartthrobs from the Twilight movies, although I'm not certain.

My own version of the Runner's Bite sometimes lurks during long-runs, and emerges shortly after I'm finished when I bite unsuspecting innocents.  It doesn't happen every time, but sometimes after completing a 20+ mile run, I find myself feeling very agitated and apt to snap at folks. 


For example, I noticed that I'd go home after a long-run and bark at my family for no apparent reason.  To combat my bite, now what I do is make sure to eat, and ideally stretch and rest a bit, before I try to interact with other humans.  I find this seems to do the trick for me.

And, perhaps since what goes around comes around, I've also been bitten.  For example, after a recent half-marathon, I spotted a friend, let's call him James, who'd finished a bit ahead of me and was recounting to his wife what had been going through his head during the race. 

One of James' remarks was that he thought about ME during the race, saying seriously that one of his stray thoughts was "Dave is such a jerk" for a joking comment I had told him before the race that I'd made to someone else.  He hadn't realized I'd been kidding, so later on I set him straight, and he felt bad for what he said (good!).  Of course he's not a Flyer – no Flyer would be so rude!

James did apologize, and also explained in an e-mail that I was a victim of his post-race energy and emotional depletion.  He said that his bite was due to his being in an endorphin-fueled "raw" state that he tends to experience when racing, and leaves him somewhat vulnerable. 

James added that he was running way outside his comfort zone, and said "...that's when little things start to bug me.  A car alarm going off by the course, a pedestrian darting in front of me or a runner stepping too close when passing."  And, apparently, kidding comments made by “Dave the Jerk” also can elicit the dreaded Runner's Bite.

RUNNER'S DRUNK

My most common version of an endorphin-enriched Runner's High feels to me like a Runner's Drunk.  Characteristics for me include memory loss, disorientation, giddiness, slurring words, and feelings of affection.  True, at least some of these are normal characteristics for me.  But they become much more pronounced and commonly experience when racing.

This Runner's Drunk is particularly prevalent for me toward the end of, and shortly after, marathons.  But I also get it from intense running during shorter races.


Memory Loss

Soon after finishing each marathon I've notice that I tend to not remember much of it, especially the latter stages.  At a recent spring marathon, I know I had trouble with muscle cramps during the last few miles.  But afterwards I had a hard time recalling what muscles had cramped and over what time frame and how often and when it stopped and why I didn't try to speed up again when they subsided (or did I?) and etc. 

It reminds me a little bit of when my wife was pregnant and we learned about oxytocin, a hormone that among other attributes apparently makes women soon forget how painful it was to be in labor so that they're willing to go through childbirth again in the future.  Is there a marathon-version of oxytocin that our bodies release to make us forget those hard painful marathon finishes?

Disorientation and Slurring

Some may say that my natural state is disorientation, but I believe it becomes even more pronounced at the end of a hard training run or a race.  It's not infrequent that I'll finish a race and get lost inside Central Park trying to head towards home.  Of course I can always ask for help, but that's where the slurring comes in:  

I'mlostandon'tknowhowtogetoutofhere!


Giddy Affection

And am I the only one who wants to hug all of the volunteers at the end of a marathon?  Maybe that's my runner's high, but it feels more like a tipsy after-glow to me. 

One Track Mind

Like most guys, when drunk I can only think about one thing.  The same thing happens when I go hard on a run.  I'm talking about my most base wants, of course -- which are to run better and faster.  You knew I was headed in that direction, right? 

My concentration level gets rather high, and during long runs and races, I think pretty much solely about my running form, pace, hydration, and breathing.  That's about it. 

I don't think I'd even notice running by, or causing, a 10-car pile-up.  And if a runner were to cut me off I'd probably run them down – not out of annoyance but for lack of noticing on time.  Actually, I once barreled over someone who'd stopped a bit sudden at the finish line.  


Does anyone else find it fascinating to examine how our minds work, or don't work, when running hard?  I wonder what others experience. 

So although the Flyer blog entries don't seem to generate many comments (Laminator Flyer, loan us some comments?), I'll invite others to comments back about how your thoughts and feelings have been impacted when you're on the run.  Anyone?
-Dave K

2 comments:

Anonymous,  July 8, 2010 at 8:41 AM  

When I first became a runner, all I ever experienced was "runner's agony"!

But these days, I must get a regular dose of "runner's high" to keep my mind centered and clear. As I settle into a run, usually by myself, a feeling of peace and calm comes over me. Any problems or stresses that have been bothering me suddenly seem more manageable and even a little less important. I feel thankful for strong legs, a healthy body, a beautiful day.

Although I enjoy other sports, I never get quite the same euphoric feeling from biking or swimming.
-DianeZ

ed July 17, 2010 at 9:01 PM  

I agree with the "want to hug everyone" feeling after a marathon. It's just a desire to share our success with anyone around.

I also suffer from the runners bite, and yes, I think it gets more pronounced on the longer runs, but I also think it's my nature to want to make everyone run the way I want (e.g. run to the right, don't stop at water stations). I "know" I'm right (ha - sure) but I should really let it be sometimes.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP