Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Holiday’s Are Coming….Try Not To Be a Mesuganah!

Anne H.
First, congratulations to all fall marathoners, ultra-marathoners, triathletes, swimmer, cyclists and anyone who has completed any event this year. We have a few weeks before we close out 2010, and it is a perfect time to celebrate not only the wonderful holidays that are upon us but our achievements as well.

Now, who rewards themselves with their favorite food?! (I see all of those hands raised). I was just speaking with some friends Saturday while watching the Knickerbocker 60K, about how I buy a box of chocolate-covered Entenmann donuts whenever I run a marathon (ssshh...don’t tell anyone). But, I don’t do this unless I run a marathon. I am not worthy otherwise. I eat one a day, and savor them for a few days. Moderation...yum. Time to run another marathon, I think.
Mmmm... donuts!
With that being said, I would assume that there are a few others who may self-reward with food, and with the holidays coming, we don’t want to become a mesuganah (Yiddish slang for a kind, but crazy person) and overdo it since the ho-ho-holidays are happily jam packed with delicious, delectable, (although probably highly caloric) foods. Everything in moderation...enjoy yourself, just don’t overexert yourself at the holiday party at the office. If you can’t reach the last cocktail shrimp on the table, then it’s not meant to be. If you are at a holiday party and the same server approaches you five times with the same crab cake, then pass on the offering. Wait for the next server to stop by with something new. Variety is the spice of life right? Receive a box of Godiva chocolates from your colleague? Enjoy a few each day, and try your best not to down the entire box in one or two sittings. That is hard not to do, I know. (I really do know). Oh, one last thing about becoming mesuganah during the holidays. If you don’t really like the food at the party, don’t eat it.keep close to the fresh veggies and dip, which should do you no wrong.
Reach for healthy treats at the holiday party.

Even a tuna burger can make a great holiday meal!
The holidays are also a time when we want to let ourselves go, eat what we want, because, it’s FUN and actually feels good. I won’t disagree with that! Last night I was hankering for a burger (rare), but my healthy choice was a tuna burger, salad on the side (instead of fries). It was delicious. Wasabi, ginger, soy, just perfect. The funny thing was that the waitress did not hear me say “salad on the side” so the fries came anyway, so I had to taste a few to make sure they were fried just right.

Yay, chili!
Other healthy choices during the winter or holiday season is chili, however you like it. Beef, turkey, veggie, tofu chili, there are many different ways to enjoy a healthy and hearty chili. You will feel satisfied from a small bowl of chili and a salad, one slice of multigrain bread. Check out this link for a large variety of chili recipes!

Always keep grains in your diet.
Before I go, I wanted to send out a friendly reminder for y’all to remember to continue to incorporate healthy grains into your nutrition plan. You will continue to run throughout the winter months, and your body will continue to ask for proper carbs. Brown Rice, Quinoa, Kasha, etc. are nice choices. You can add pecans or dried cranberries which can make it very tasty. (CVS is now selling dried cranberries, go figure).

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Holidays to all! - Anne H.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP