Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Knickerbocker 60k - An Ultra-Experience!

Deb M.
I always wondered who would want to do the Knickerbocker, a 60K race in Central Park comprised of 9 inner loops. No cheering crowds, bands, or any of the fanfare associated with a marathon – and this was longer than the 26.2M distance! Most people don’t even know there is a race going on in the park let alone an ultra-marathon.

Well, this year I signed up. Shortly after I completed the Mohawk-Hudson marathon in mid-October, I felt I needed another goal for the year: an ultra. I was looking for a 50K trail race but couldn't find one nearby for November. So I thought I may as well try the Knickerbocker – it was cheap, local and I figured I would know at least a couple of others attempting this feat. Nine 4-mile loops of the park, my backyard, how hard could that be? Well I soon realized that it is a 60K = 37.2 miles!
Suddenly race day was approaching and I really wasn’t sure what to expect. What do I wear? What do I eat? Can I even run 37+ miles? After trying to recruit some friends to do this race with me and failing, I decided to have them help pace me instead – that would get me through. So I asked for volunteers and assigned my Flyer friends to various loops of the race. They were to meet me at a specific time at Engineers Gate (EG) based on a 9-9:30 pace, which I thought seemed liked a respectable goal to get me in about 5:45. I had my rabbits in place.

Knickerbocker Flyers!
On race morning we had to pick up our numbers and shirts at NYRR. I surveyed the crowd to see what others were wearing. Most had on layers and hats. I chose to wear shorts (Race Ready, for all my gels), a Flyer shirt and a throwaway shirt. I went home to get a hat - it was chilly and I wanted to fit in with the ultra crowd. Waiting for the start at EG was very low-key with only about 200 runners. What a different experience than camping out on Staten Island, ready to cross the Verrazano Bridge. I saw several Flyer friends – Brian H., Deanna C., Fabrice B., Scott C., Julie W. and Denise I. – which helped calm my nerves. Then it was time to line up, I positioned myself mid to front pack. We were off, very relaxed start going at a comfortable pace. I ran into Iris C. who warned me to start off at a slow pace in order to sustain the distance. I eased back a little; this is going to be a long day, I thought.

The first 1.46M stretch is an out-and-back to 102nd St., before battling the 9 repetitive loops of the park, so it was nice to see Brian and others in the lead circling back. Brian, of course, was taking pictures while going at his speedy pace. The first loop was on my own, with Joe J. meeting me for loops 2 and 3. I shed a layer mid-loop, set into a comfortable pace and see Bob C. taking photos up ahead. I pick up Joe at EG and see several Flyers cheering me and others on, including Noel C. who is working the water station. Rounding the 102nd St. transverse, an official shouts out, "You are the 8th woman." Okay, not bad, I thought, let me see if I can pick it up and pass some of those females in front of me! Heather M. joins us for loop #3 and as we pass W. 72nd St. we see Jodie F. and her son screaming “Go Deb!” with sign and cowbell in hand. It was a lift every time I saw them out there for my many loops of the park!
Joe J. and Bob C. helped pace Deb to her goal time.

Joe decides to stay on for loop four and Bob joins us for part of it and then drops back to help a couple of other friends. Next up – Siggy T. and Kenny H. are assigned loops 5-7, very critical loops as I will start to tire I think. I get to EG and the crowd has grown with more Flyers as well as Asphalt Green Tri Club friends. A rush every time you pass through for your next loop. My rabbits are ready and we are off for #5. Unexpectedly Janis E. joins us for loops 5-6 and brings me much-needed Advil for later in the race. Other assists come from Charlotte N., Pat D. and Alisa N. who run loops with us in the latter part of the race. I lose Glen W. to help pace Brian and Jim N. jumps in for short spurts to check in on me.

About 4 hours into the 60K, Brian laps me but not before taking my photo! Shortly after Deanna passes me with her entourage, looking strong. Siggy and Kenny decide to stay on for loop 8 when we pick up my last rabbit, Sungwon H. at EG. Again I feel the energy passing through this area as an official shouts out, #212 two more loops! Okay I can do this, I thought -- almost done. Still feeling good but starting to tire in loop #8. My pace slows somewhat and I ask Siggy how I am doing – his Android paces us, talks to us and takes photos too! You’re right there he shouts; I know he doesn’t want to tell me I’m slowing. Since there are no mile markers, I have been pacing myself every loop to stay within a 36 minute range = 9 minute or so pace. I have been right on though this loop I fall back slightly, I feel it.

Rabbits!
After doing 16 miles with me, the boys are done, left to cheering. Sungwon takes me in for the last and final loop. I need her; I am starting to fade. I have eaten only gels and a piece of bar all day, the perfect nutrition plan for me since I worry about digestion issues with solid food. Now it's just Sungwon and I, with my goal of breaking 5:50 still looming. She sets the pace. Come on stay with me, she shouts repeatedly. I’m trying, I fire back. She’s good and knows I want to come in at a certain time. Sungwon shouts to the crowd, “Go Debbie”, and they shout back, “Go Debbie.” It makes me smile every time. I am not talking on this last lap, having been chatty on all my other loops. She knows I am hurting and is persistent to get me through. "Last hill," she shouts. Liar! I know there are several more. Sungwon then decides to play a game of road kill; those of you who have done relays know how this goes. You basically pass the person in front of you and count the number of “road kill” you get by the end of your leg. So this helped me to pick up the pace. Every time we passed someone Sungwon would shout, “nice race!” to the runner and “road kill!” to me.

Into the finish!
As we were nearing the finish I saw my goal time in sight. A huge crowd had formed at the finish area. Sungwon had me go for one last road kill. A guy was several feet ahead of me. She shouts – go get him! I pick up my pace and pass him with the finish clock reading 5:44:44 (official time: 5:45:13). An official shouts out 5th female! I am done. I am an ultra marathoner. I smile, that was the most exciting experience I have ever had in Central Park – a place I have run in thousands of times. My Flyer friends are gathered at the finish, congratulating me on my race as we wait for more runners to come through. I learn that Deanna placed first female and Brian set a PR! Siggy’s Android friend is now videotaping Sungwon and I as we recount that last loop and the game of road kill. I am finally eating solid food. What a day!

I could not have run 37.2 miles without the support of all my dear Flyer friends. This ultra experience has reinforced how much running, and my friends through running, has done for my life. In good and bad times, as running partners and training buddies (even rabbits) – they always have my back. Thank you all!

Happy Thanksgiving! - Deb M.

5 comments:

Anonymous,  November 26, 2010 at 8:31 PM  

Congratulations, Deb! What an amazing run you had. A very inspirational report. and Go Flyers!

DianeZ

Anonymous,  November 29, 2010 at 6:40 PM  

Very inspirational, Deb--huge congrats! When I saw you as I looked for the friend I was going to pace for two loops, you were surrounded by a crowd of Flyers and I didn't see your number. I thought maybe someone was racing among that Flyer group, but not sure who till I saw the results. Awesome work! Scott M.

Uli,  November 29, 2010 at 11:03 PM  

Wow -- way to go!!

angela g.,  December 1, 2010 at 9:06 PM  

great job deb!! i enjoyed reading this!!

Anonymous,  December 2, 2010 at 6:34 PM  

What a wonderful race report! You are one tough cookie! I can't wait to see what 2011 holds for the unstoppable Deb Meyer.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP