Sunday, January 9, 2011

Hawaii Healthy Eating!

Anne H.
I just arrived back from a wonderful trip to Hawaii. I don't know if you have ever had the glorious opportunity to visit this paradise, but not only did the air smell sweet, the land look lush, and the fruit taste luscious, the site of the volcanic landscape was just, well, s-p-e-c-t-a-c-u-l-a-r!

While I was on my trip, I made sure to indulge in my daily five,  That is, five servings of pineapple each day! The pineapple was so fresh, it was hard not to have it with every meal.  Living in NYC, I would typically purchase the pre-cut pineapple
The volcanic islands of our 50th state
chunks from the local market, because carving a pineapple was too much of a chore. Well, not anymore! I’ll be purchasing whole pineapples from now on and carving them up myself. Making the effort will be worth it, and will only remind me of the wonderful land of Hawaii.

Fresh fruit aplenty!
So, in the spirit of Hawaii and its great pineapples, I have made the new year’s resolution to try to incorporate more fruit into my diet. Some of us eat high protein, low carbs, low fat. I eat low fruit. That has to change. Also, now that we are in the winter months it is much harder to think about eating a fresh fruit salad. I’d rather eat a hearty turkey burger and mashed potatoes, or an open-face turkey sandwich as they are both warm and cozy foods.

Yummy fish tacos!
So, I am now thinking how I am going to incorporate more fruit into my diet. Any suggestions? Well, I’ve decided that I’ll be making a big batch of fruit salsa (i.e., a mango, pineapple salsa) to top on fresh fish when I can. It’s a fun side dish and is very flavorful.

Talking about fresh fish? Well, I had the best fish tacos on this side of the equator! A new item I’ll be adding to my own menu at home which I’ve just got to share with you. Slice a swordfish steak in strips, which would look something like the size of a long hot dog. Season and grill. Take a wrap, some spicy hot sauce, your fruit salsa, wrap and dig in. It’s a delicious way to enjoy a healthy piece of fish, and fun, too. It's a great meal for just sitting in front of the TV

Hau ‘oli Makahiki Hou! (Happy New Year in Hawaiian) - Anne H.

PS: Did you know the true way top pronounce Hawaii is "Hav-vaii"?
The beautiful Hawaiin landscape

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP