Sunday, February 6, 2011

Are you ready for some Football Running?

Drew G.
Seasonable temperatures and brilliant sunshine (finally!) greeted an enthusiastic pack of runners as they lined up for the annual NYRR Gridiron Classic 4-miler in Central Park this morning. Pre-race conditions were a bit icy, but the course seemed OK shortly after the start. After randomly running into him on Friday, I again ran into longtime Flyer Francisco R. at the start who looked ready and raring to go. As usual, the Flyers were out in force... participating in the race, doing an ODOTR run (that’s “Opposite Direction Of The Race”) while cheering on the Flyers, and/or cheering from the sidelines. (I did, however, get yelled at by President Glen W. while passing Engineers Gate for talking to my fellow Masters teammate Tim D. “No Talking, Drew,” he yelled. All in good fun, though, all in good fun!)

Sara D. and Pat D. rooting for their home team!
Sharply decked out in her green Jets T-shirt I saw Lara K. doing an ODOTR, who offered some kind words of encouragement as we crossed paths on the West Side around mile three. At that point, the incredible Eduardo F. cruised past me with the sublime smoothness and control we’ve all come to admire. I’m not sure where he’s more smooth, though... on the race course or on the dance floor! It’s a toss-up.

Personally, I had a decent race after a lengthy layoff from racing. It’s definitely great to get back into it. Caught up with a nice crew of Flyers after the race as well, including Bo K. and Elle G. who were kind enough to offer me some excellent first date tips... thanks ladies!

Now it’s time for Chelsea v. Liverpool, Penguins v. Capitals, pizza, beer and hopefully a great game later between the Steelers and the Packers. I don’t really have a dog in this fight, but I am pulling for the Packers.

In other running news, the Associated Press reports that Stefaan Engels of Belgium completed his 365th marathon in 365 days Saturday in Barcelona, covering a total of 9,569 miles. Basically, that’s equivalent running from New York City to Moscow, then turning around in true Forrest Gump fashion and running back to NYC (with an additional few hundred miles thrown in for good measure)! - Drew G. Flyers' Masters Men's Captain

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP