Thursday, March 31, 2011

Sock It To Me

Lara K
“Do you play soccer or something?” someone said to me after passing by while I was simultaneously stretching and waiting for my Garmin to get a signal.  Maybe those black knee-length socks I was wearing made me look like I had just stepped off the set of Bend It Like Beckham, but those socks were meant more for function than for fashion.

Don’t know when the whole compression sock rage originally started (possibly when Paula Radcliffe won the 2004 NYC Marathon while wearing them?) but my recollection was that it was in 2009 when I started to see them everywhere.  I picked up my first pair at the Marine Corps Marathon Expo  – a pair of black “Recovery Socks” – but given that I was on the DL for a stint after that, those socks didn’t get much use for awhile.

Along came the summer of 2010 and Chicago Marathon training and increased mileage and speed workouts that accompanied the mileage boost.  Given the inferno that was the summer, I didn’t want anything extra on my legs while running, although my socks got much use after speed workouts and long runs to help my legs recover quicker from those runs.  Best testimonial – after running 20 miles in LTR #2, I wore the socks all afternoon and during the daytime on the next day while engaging in some other physical labor –  moving apartments!!  When all was said and done, my legs were not tired (though I couldn’t say the same for the rest of me!)

Lara K in Pink Compression Socks at Chicago Marathon 2010
Now, I know most of you have seen me rocking a hot pink pair of socks by CEP.  Originally, they were supposed to just be part of a fun race day outfit for the Chicago Marathon.  But they were functional as well because I have been prone to calf cramps in long races before and I felt it would be a good idea for my calves to be “supported” in a way.  Not wanting to wear anything new on race day, I tried them out during my last 20-miler and all systems were go.  And as you all know if you heard anything about last year's Chicago Marathon, the heat on race day messed with a lot of people’s time goals.  I missed my goal, but it was no fault of my legs – nope, the rest of me just couldn’t stand the heat.  Even though I was sorta cursing myself by mile 24 for wearing the knee-high socks in 80 degree weather, I will say my legs still felt halfway decent at that point, and even afterwards.  My legs were the least sore that they’ve ever been after a marathon.  In fact, someone commented as I was walking to post-marathon party #2 that I looked like I was walking too quickly for someone who just ran a marathon! 

And I continue to use the socks now both after runs for recovery, and during runs (well, whenever it’s warm enough to wear shorts with the socks!).  And let it be known that wearing compression socks the day after the Awards Gala was definitely the cure for high-heel ravaged feet and legs that danced for a longer time than any of my runs in the last coupla months. J

In terms of brands, I’ve tried three – Recovery Sock, CEP and Sugoi.  My favorites are still the CEPs –  nope, not just because of the hot pink color, as I have them in black and white, too – but I just felt that particular brand performed better (and I believe some other Flyers who own that same brand would agree!).

Want to know the easiest way to put these compression socks, which sometimes can be on the tight side-on?  This YouTube video, courtesy of CEP, will help!  

So besides obvious reasons for spring fever (warmer weather?  No more snow?), another reason I’m looking forward to spring is being able to rock the socks during my runs again – hopefully beginning next weekend during the More Magazine | Fitness Magazine Half-Marathon, where I will be pacing the 2:10 group and sporting the hot pink CEP’s!

Who else is wearing compression socks (or compression sleeves, compression pants, or other compression apparel)?  Let's hear about your experiences with them in the comments section, below....

Lara K.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP