Boston Marathon 2011: The View From the Flyers Cheering Zone
![]() |
| Joyce S |
Getting There
Traveling with my two sisters and two nieces, we left our hotel at 10:00 a.m. to take the T to the Woodlawn Station. I quickly learned it is much easier to get around the NYC Marathon. An hour or so later, coming off a crowded and slow train full of marathon spectators, we found our way past the Mile 17 marker and ultimately made it to the Flyers Cheering Zone. The cheering zone is situated in a great spot to see the race and to provide motivation for the team and all the runners (even if they're Red Sox fans). The toughest part of the marathon was to follow, and I know that the smiles and cheers of the Flyers and friends carried them through at least the next mile.
| Bottom row: Lara K, Celia K, Ed A, Dan G. Back row: Jamey A, Mike M, Jim B, DJ Van H |
Being There
I did manage to spot the back of Dave K as he passed the Flyer zone. I was watching a little closer where it was less crowded. Having missed yelling out to Dave, I was determined to spot Denise and my brother before they passed me. Next came my brother Richard, all smiles, and running strong. We spotted him as he was coming, and he seemed really happy to see us, although he was probably happier to see his wife a quarter mile before the finish line! Then came Denise. I described her to my family and said to look for a red Flyers shirt - Denise always races in the red shirt. Well, of course that day Denise was wearing a purple shirt but I was glad I was still able to spot her. She, too, was going strong.
The Experience
So here is what I took out of the day. Most everyone looks good at mile 17. The months of hard training comes through. I think the real work of and spirit of the marathon comes a bit later and stays that way all the way to the finish line. A lot happens during that time. One can have a great race and finish strong with little or no discomfort. But for many, the body really begins to feel all those miles somewhere around the 20 mile mark. That’s when all sorts of things happen; fatigue, random pains, cramping, spasms, disorientation and dehydration - just to name a few. Although one may slow down, the will and human spirit takes over in a big way. The support from the crowds carries the runners through the finish. Everyone, including the runners, spectators and volunteers is a part of the marathon. Having experienced only the biggest marathons - NYC and Boston - I am looking forward to a small town race in the future. I know I can rely on fellow runners for extra support.
The Finish
The marathon officially ends for the runner when they cross the finish, with all of our Flyers recording impressive results. The pain and exhaustion are replaced by pure joy from the accomplishment of crossing the Boston Marathon Finish Line. I am proud of my family and friends, and grateful that I had the opportunity to spend the day cheering everyone on and celebrating afterwards. I still hold onto the hope that I will one day run a Boston Qualifier and then actually run Boston!
Celebrating
![]() |
| From top: Jamey A, Jim B, Dan G, Glen W, Lisa F, Drew G |
![]() |
| Much-deserved R&R for Cheering Zoners Kenny H, Siggy T and Lara K |
Congratulations and Thanks
Congratulations to all the Flyer Boston marathon runners and thanks to those who made the Cheering Zone a great place to spot runners and hang out:
Ed A, Celia K, Dan G, Mike M, D J Van H, Jamey A, Kenny H, Siggy T, Richard G, Lara K, Lloyd H, Deborah B and Trina (David D's family).
And a shout out goes to Ed’s friends Martha and Jay, who once again helped organize this whole thing. For the 15th straight year, they helped Ed by getting the zone set up and by providing refreshments and general good cheer (not to mention providing bungee cords with which to hang the banner)!
-Joyce S.
Blogmaster's Note: Blog readers please add your own special thanks and notes in the Comments section, below. I'll start right here by thanking Lara K for jumping in and pacing me from the Flyers Cheering Zone all the way up to the top of Heartbreak Hill. It gave me a tremendous lift looking forward to approaching all of the Flyers at the Cheering Zone, and Lara gave me an extra-needed boost by keeping me company just when I was starting to fall apart. Thanks everyone - Flyer runners and cheerers - for your camaraderie, team spirit, and wonderful support! -Dave K




0 comments:
Post a Comment