Interesting Races in Interesting Places: Cabo Wabo!
![]() |
| Frances E |
My sister, her friend and I arrived in Cabo San Lucas the day before the race, settled into our cute little hotel and headed over to the Plaza Puerto Paraiso to register. There were no signs to indicate any kind of running event, so we wandered around the plaza for a while until we eventually found the registration area and picked up our numbers and t-shirts. No expo, but a few displays from some of the hotel sponsors and a medical center where I had my blood pressure checked (perfect!!). We learned that the race would not be starting from the Plaza, due to road works, but at a large mall on the edge of town, known as the Wal-Mart Plaza, and that the route would not be going through scenic town streets, but along Highway 1.
| At The Start |
We started out crossing the winding overpass to the highway. The route was slightly rolling, but no really challenging hills. The most nerve-wracking part of the race was running along the side of the four lane Highway 1 – this is the main highway that runs through the entire 1000 mile Baja Peninsula – with very little division between runners and traffic. Luckily, it was early Sunday and the traffic was quite light. We headed down the highway, a slightly rolling course on the hotel strip that runs between Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo. Not exactly scenic, but pretty typical of the roads in this area. The water stations provided water in knotted plastic bags. I’ve never seen this before, but it works quite well as you can run while drinking. The half-way point was the bridge over the highway at the Cabo Real Resort.
The last half of the race was a little more challenging. The water stations ran out of fluids from the 12K point. The temperature was rising and the traffic was increasing. This is the kind of thing I call “character building.” Luckily, I had brought a hand-held bottle with me, so it was just a question of rationing out my water and getting back before the serious heat and traffic started. A few of the local residents were beginning to emerge looking on with puzzled expressions; no doubt wondering what these crazy people were doing running along a highway on a Sunday morning. As I got closer to the finish I could see the sea and the rock arc at Land’s End, Cabo’s most famous landmark. The course continued on for a couple of miles through a golf course – I think they did this to make up for the miles lost by not starting from the original start line. As I rounded the corner to the Wal-Mart Plaza, I could see the Pacifico beer can in the distance. A few hundred meters and I was finished. An unspectacular 2:08, but I was on vacation and who would ever know? Had a short massage while I waited for my sister and friend, doing their first walking half, then out for a well-deserved brunch and an afternoon by the pool.
![]() |
| A Relaxed Finish |
| Party Time at Cabo Wabo |
![]() |
| With My Trophy! |
Yes, this run was a lot of fun!
Frances E



0 comments:
Post a Comment