Flyers Coach Toby T Writes from Africa
![]() |
| Toby T |
A postcard from your coach.
As I sit in the warm sun basking on the equator, I hope many of you will be waking up this morning stiff in the muscles from a hard work out on Tuesday night under the guidance of my right hand man, Mr. Joe Y. To be honest I do not miss the cold of NYC and love the fact I am sitting outdoors in a T-shirt.
Flyers Blogmaster Dave K suggested I write a little just to tell you a bit about what I am doing over here, so here goes:
![]() |
| Sylvia Kibet World Silver 5000m Daegu Track & Field 2011 Medallist Gives a Young Runner Their First Pair of Running Shoes |
We did not rest there. Next came a road trip on that very same day when we drove up to the Marakwet district of Kenya -- home to many, many of the fine runners -- including the home of 2011 World Silver medalist in the 10,000m, Sally Kipyego. Sally is a friend to Shoe4Africa and one of our Education Ambassadors. We were thrilled when she made her first national team this summer, and we were so happy when she medalled quite unexpected.
Before heading on, we left our car in the garage since it had conked out, and took two big pickup trucks to visit the local wholesalers and buy lots of sacks of sugar and rice for a children's feeding program. The rough road was so bad we could no faster than about 5mph and got stuck a couple of times in muddy swamps. This is also the site where we will build another school and in fact that was the next project... Schools!
Janeth Jepkosgei is one the world's best 800m runners. I learned that she also was doing some great community work and so Shoe4Africa built a primary school in her name in the Nandi district. The project started earlier this year and now was the time to open the school before school begins next year in January. A lot of the top local athletes came to the school opening to pay their respects, but my favorite guest was the lady who brought Janeth there with her; Janeth's 100-years+ grandmother whose storied face looks like the map of the Andes. The Head of Athletics Kenya also came to the event, Isaiah Kiplagat. If you wish to see pictures/newsclips then please go to the SHOE4AFRICA Facebook page!
See what I mean about the organization being more than shoes?? Well part two will come soon... the next day we held a running race...
Happy New Year!
Toby T, NY Flyers Head Coach
CEO & Founder, Shoe4Africa
Vice President of Achilles International



0 comments:
Post a Comment