B2B -- Heat, Hills, and Sweet Sweet Strawberries
![]() |
| Janine S |
Boston, April 16: My race was abysmal. After standing under the "sun lamp" in the corral, I was hot even before crossing the start. The funniest comment I heard after my wave began, and the runners were racing down the road, was from a guy who said "it feels like we are all running from Godzilla." I think that was the only time I laughed during the Boston race.
The first time I wanted to quit was when I passed the Harley guys that were drinking beer at Mile 2. They were having fun, and I wasn't, so joining them seemed like such a good idea, but I barreled on. The second time I wanted to quit was at Mile 7 when my leg started cramping. (Only 19 miles to go…Oh no.) At Mile 8, when I threw up my GU gel, I really, really wanted to quit. The problem was that the Boston Marathon was tied to the Big Sur Marathon in that to get the cool B2B jacket you must FINISH both marathons. So after the GU incident, at around Mile 8.5, I began running solely for the love of the jacket. Mind you, I'd never seen the jacket, but I HAD to have it; I HAD to finish, for the jacket and for the extra medal that says B2B.
Kids with hoses squirted me and I ran under all the Boston Athletic Association icy spray tents despite that my blisters were forming before the half. As I approached each spray tent, I would question whether the few seconds of icy spray were worth the further damage to my feet. Mostly I decided yes, and I would grimace and then run through the cold misty tents, and frankly it sort of added to the entire torturous experience.
At last I saw Sungwon, at Mile 18, at the amazing Flyers cheering station!! It was an oasis for sure, and thank you, thank you, FLYERS in Boston for the overwhelming and encouraging support. Special thanks to Alan G who gave me electrolyte tablets and to those that cheered for me and to Sungwon, who was there waiting.
Over the next half-mile, we started chatting, and Sungwon told me I was running well, and asked me if I needed water, and life was good. Not too far ahead of us, I spotted one of the first hills of Newton, and I braced myself for the climb. Just then Sungwon said she had to fix her hair, and she'd catch up to me in a minute, so she stopped and up the hill I climbed, alone. I reached the top and proceeded, looking back a couple times to find Sungwon, but I LOST HER. Her story later was that I must've been running faster than she thought, because she couldn't find me (hmm… 10:30 pace?). To this day, I'm not sure what exactly was going on with her hair (but it is lovely!).
![]() |
| Stephanie P (left) Looking Terrific with Sondra M (also Terrific) in Boston |
Big Sur, April 29: With the expo a block from our hotel, Nina and I attended the expo first thing Saturday morning when it opened at 9am and we stayed there all day! There was this tremendous line-up of speakers and so we listened to, talked to, and hung out with Jeff Galoway, Dean Karnazes, and Bart Yasso, among others. We met up with our Flyer friend Murat B (fellow B2Ber) and dragged him along to take photos with Dean. Dean even invited us to join him on his 35 mile run (yes, RUN) to the start of the marathon in the morning (he said he gets up around 2am), and we all laughed, but he was serious!
![]() |
| Nina, Ultramarathon Man Dean Karnazes, and Janine |
Our new friends Bart and Jeff were standing at a podium at the start, and then the gun went off and dozens of white doves were released creating this beautiful vision to begin the journey. So after passing Dean Karnazes running in the opposite direction at Mile 1 (he yelled to us “I’m a little late!), Nina and I soon lost Murat as we had been personally convinced by Jeff Galloway to use his “method” for this marathon, and so we were walking 1 - 2x per mile for 20-45 seconds (it is a very strange feeling to walk on purpose, and slightly embarrassing to me, especially in the beginning).
![]() |
| Janine, Nina and Oh What a View! |
At Mile 11, the fog began to lift, and we felt the pounding of the Taiko drummers (click here to see and hear them performing at the Big Sur Marathon) in our stomachs before we could actually see them. The drummers mark the beginning of the hardest hill, a 2.5 mile climb up to Hurricane Point. The hill twists and turns out of sight and the drummers’ rhythm matches the feet of the runners. ![]() |
| Nina and Janine Stop Briefly for a Serenade at the Half |
Finally, Nina and I made it to the B2B tent where we first saw the JACKET!! (It's the coolest, greatest jacket, really) and we also got our second medal. There was amazing food, chia drinks, beer, more strawberries, and we sat in the sun and met other B2B finishers, and found Murat who was ahead of us by 40 minutes! We stayed there until the marathon had reached its 6-hour cut off, and then we walked to the finish and cheered in the final runners. Nina would yell and cheer them on, and Murat would dash over and literally run them in to the finish.
![]() |
| Janine, Nina and Murat with B2B Medals! And, Most Important, Wearing THE JACKET!!! |
Somewhere during the B2B challenge and still afterward, I recalled and contemplated all the reasons of just exactly why I run. The B2B is a full, rich experience of the complexity and dichotomy of all that’s right and good about running. Boston, with its intensity and amazing athletes, all so fit and wired and buzzing with energy and competitive spirit. Well I love all that; it’s invigorating and electric and aggressive and fun. Then there is Big Sur with its doves, cliffs, drummers and piano, mixed up with fog and crazy winds and monster hills and sweet, sweet strawberries - just how my heart would describe running! And for the record, my Zen feeling and love of life lasted at least until the plane touched down at JFK.
-Janine S










2 comments:
Great article Janine! Sounds like you experienced the entire spectrum of running emotions in just those two events - two stories within a story. Now you've got me 'California Dreamin'. Pat D.
Very nice writeup, Janine! Was great sharing a mile or 2 in Boston with you...definitely helped me to have company late in the race!
And wonderful job describing the Big Sur experience-looks like such a chill race!! Very interesting info from the race director too-I too, was wondering about some of the distances they offered, as well as the origin of the B2B challenge!
Congrats to you and Nina again!
And to our wiseass blogmaster...with regards to your website teaser...well played ;-)
Post a Comment