An Event that Holds a Very Special Place In My Heart!
![]() |
| Shevaun T |
It all started on June 3,1972 when 78 women lined up in Central Park to run what was
dubbed the Crazylegs Mini Marathon. Johnson Wax was the sponsor and they
were promoting a women's shaving gel. The 'mini' is for the
miniskirt, which was widely popular in women's fashion circles.
Each participant wore a t-shirt with their
number ironed on. (Hey, this is actually a good idea. Safety pins
create a lot of holes in my Flyers singlet!) The two women who co-founded
the event with the late Fred Lebow were Kathrine Switzer, who was the first woman to finish the Boston
Marathon in 1967, and Nina Kuscsik, who had won the first official Boston
Marathon in 1972 just weeks before the running of this race. Fast-forward
40 years and boy have times changed for women's running (actually, in every
area of a woman's life: sports, career, and home to name a few).
I went on the NYRR website after the race and came
across a quote that resonated with me. "The race for me is a link to
both the past and the future." I grew up watching my mom run this
race. Seeing her run the Avon Mini (as it was called then) really planted
the seeds for my love of and passion for running and racing. As a little
girl, my dream was to eventually run this exact race with my mother.
Throughout the years I had observed lots of mother-daughter teams and delighted in the idea that I, too, would be doing this. My mother passed away when I was a teenager so I did not have this opportunity. However, when I arrived in New York fresh out of college and joined the New York Flyers 17 years ago, I ran the 1995 Mini Marathon in memory of my mother. It was my first 10K race and I was ecstatic to have run a time of 44:00. (this time was my PR for 17 years up until the Healthy Kidney 10K last month). So as with every Mini I have run, I would run this year's race in memory of my mother. I also would try to break my PR from the previous month. My time of 40:41 fell short of a PR by 18 seconds but it's kinda cool that I ran 40 minutes (and change) on the 40th anniversary of the race at age 40!!
Throughout the years I had observed lots of mother-daughter teams and delighted in the idea that I, too, would be doing this. My mother passed away when I was a teenager so I did not have this opportunity. However, when I arrived in New York fresh out of college and joined the New York Flyers 17 years ago, I ran the 1995 Mini Marathon in memory of my mother. It was my first 10K race and I was ecstatic to have run a time of 44:00. (this time was my PR for 17 years up until the Healthy Kidney 10K last month). So as with every Mini I have run, I would run this year's race in memory of my mother. I also would try to break my PR from the previous month. My time of 40:41 fell short of a PR by 18 seconds but it's kinda cool that I ran 40 minutes (and change) on the 40th anniversary of the race at age 40!!
It is at this point that I mention the race and
"the link to the future" -- I actually CAN be part of a
mother-daughter team that I dreamed about many years ago. Except this
time I would be the mother. I have three young daughters; perhaps one day we
will run event together. Having my girls on the sidelines now as my
cheerleaders I hope that I will set the example my mom did for me; teaching each one of them to be
a strong woman with a real passion who works hard to achieve goals, where the
possibilities are endless, and where many friends are made along the way!!
The Mini 10K also holds real significance to me because two years ago it presented me with the chance of a lifetime. In 2010, the day before the race, I attended a luncheon to benefit the NYRR Youth Program. It was a small gathering, and when I arrived I was seated in between Paula Radcliffe and Kara Goucher. Like me, they were pregnant at the time, so we chatted about running and pregnancy, maximum heart rates, what we do for cross-training and the anticipation of our births. What a thrill!!
| Shevaun with Daughters Grace, Quinn and Paige |
Now for the race report: Standing close to the start line with more than 6,000 female runners on
Saturday morning on the 40th anniversary of the Mini was empowering and there
was so much energy and excitement. Of course, I had on my mini, my new
Flyer singlet and a necklace that Kara Goucher sports when racing. We all
listened to the pioneers of this race speak, and Kathrine Switzer wore her
Crazylegs t-shirt from 1972. We saw Olympic hopeful Desiree Davila up on
stage commanding a big presence despite her tiny frame. It was
female power to the max.
I felt proud to be standing with thousands of
strong women anxiously awaiting the start. The gun fired and we were
off. I was very close to the front and racing down Central Park West where I
found myself running in between Elizabeth A and Deanna C. We ran
together for close to 2 miles; there was respect, camaraderie, and we were
having "fun" pushing the pacing.
I met Elizabeth very briefly at the finish line of the Coogan's 5K, and I had heard a lot about Deanna but had never met her. What better
way to get acquainted than while on the run! It was super cool that we
were encouraging one another with "come on" and "let's go."
The "fun" we were having came to an abrupt end as we approached the
Harlem Hill; then it was time to really focus. Deanna powered her way up
the Hill and we followed closely behind. By the time we got to the 5K
mark, Deanna was off and looking particularly strong. Way to go Deanna!! I
was tiring but reminded myself that the Flyer cheering section and my three daughters
would be at the 72nd Street transverse. The crowd support was deafening coming
down Cat Hill.
Thank you to all the Flyers who came out to cheer
us on at the E. 72nd Street Cheering Station organized by Adam H. For me, this was monumental in getting me through the last mile.
I spotted my daughters in their bright blue "running skirts" (actually tennis skirts but is there really a difference?) and gave a big wave and blew a kiss. Because I do not wear a Garmin, I didn't know what pace I was going. My legs were feeling very heavy but I thought of the mile repeats I do with the Tuesday 6am speed work group. I told myself I only had to do it once as opposed to the four or more repeats we do on the first Tuesday of every month. This self-talk helped considerably and somehow got me to the finish line where my name was announced. I then spotted Dave K volunteering at the finish line and he placed my medal around my neck.
![]() |
| Thank You! Flyers Cheering Station |
I spotted my daughters in their bright blue "running skirts" (actually tennis skirts but is there really a difference?) and gave a big wave and blew a kiss. Because I do not wear a Garmin, I didn't know what pace I was going. My legs were feeling very heavy but I thought of the mile repeats I do with the Tuesday 6am speed work group. I told myself I only had to do it once as opposed to the four or more repeats we do on the first Tuesday of every month. This self-talk helped considerably and somehow got me to the finish line where my name was announced. I then spotted Dave K volunteering at the finish line and he placed my medal around my neck.
A big shout out to everyone in Francine's 6am group. You have brought my running to a whole new level and for this I am grateful! It was a great showing for the Flyer Ladies, with quite a few finishing top-ten in their age group and/or setting PRs. We all gathered after the race for pictures and then I headed over to the playground to meet my family. My girls greeted me with a hug and then asked why I wasn't the winner!
Congratulations to all the Flyer Ladies and I look
forward to "toeing the line" with you again next year for this spectacular event!
-Shevaun T
-Shevaun T





2 comments:
Shevaun,
This is an amazing article. You are such an inspiration to me and I am so lucky to have you for a sister.
Love you,
Erin
great article, Shev, and congrats on setting your personal record - awesome accomplishment!!
Post a Comment