Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Flyers MTP: I Am a Fan of Running Again… and a GPS Watch!


Tran L
I joined the Flyers Marathon Training Program (MTP) with the lofty goal of qualifying for Boston 2014 in an early September race.  This blog entry was to be an exultation piece of my achievement and how the program was the vehicle to my success.  Instead, the outcome so far has been something of even more importance for me, and much needed for this newbie runner. 

With a troubled and barely existent running history, my marathon journey started on the shores of Seven Mile Beach on Grand Cayman on New Year’s Day in 2011 when I challenged myself to train for and finish a marathonspring being my target.  I wanted to prove to myself that I was capable of starting and finishing a long-term project. 

It was hard at first but as my body got used to running I grew to enjoy the solitude that came with the longer distances.  However, for the next year and a half, my marathon journey was fraught with interruptions and distractions, particularly a serious injury a month before my target marathon due to mistakes I made as a new runner, lack of dedication and commitment to training, and a lot of extended travels.  
Running the 2011 More Fitness Half Marathon
In Central Park
By the start of August last year I was determined to get myself to the start line for my first marathonthe 2012 NYC Marathon.  I was super excited that NYC was to be my first.  Through three months of very dedicated training, following a training program that I purchased and that worked well for me, I was emotionally and physically ready for the race.  Unfortunately, Hurricane Sandy happened and the race eventually was cancelled.  It was a real heart-breaker for me.  I finally ran and comfortably completed my first marathon, the Richmond Marathon, a week later.  I was finally able to call myself a “marathoner.” I was happy and relieved but the excitement was absent.
At Left After the Anthem Richmond Marathon 2012
Physically, I felt great as soon as the day after the race, like I was fully recovered.  I took a week off from running and was hitting the pavement again by the second week.  I wanted to focus on shorter races for the first half of the year and to do another marathon in the fall.  Nonsensically, the result was 8 races - 5 half-marathons, 2-10Ks and 1-4 miler - from January through mid-June.  I had the singular focus to get faster.  My paces kept improving with each race and it was exciting.  But I was starting to get tired by April.  

At the Brooklyn Half
Through May I was physically exhausted but still managed to run the Brooklyn Half in 1:46:13 with inconsistent training runs.  It was then that I thought a Boston Marathon qualifying time (BQ) would be attainable.  

Eventually, I signed up for an early September BQ race.  In the midst of my final race, a 10K, I started to question why I was putting myself through the torture.  For the first time since I started my running journey I did not want to be running.  It was one of the slower races of the eight.  I didn’t run the rest of June.

The Flyers MTP with The Run SMART Project began with the start of July.  By then I had lost a lot of traction with my running.  But I had a goal of, my September BQ race driving me.  We received our individualized training plans and every Wednesday evening we've gathered together for a group quality session, which is anything but easy.  Each session is challenging but varied and fun.  


At a Weekly Wednesday Evening  Summer Workout
With the MTP Group
For me, it was refreshing to be running with others again.  I took to the camaraderie of the group.  Everyone was supportive and encouraging.  I quickly started to look forward to the Wednesday night sessions. Heck, I even scored a free TomTom GPS watch from a company rep who stumbled upon our group while we were congregating for the first group session, and who gave me the free watch to test it out.  


The intensity and focus necessary for these quality sessions eventually allowed me to appreciate the easy runs on the other days, no matter the distance.  I regained the calmness that used to envelope me while running, being in the moment. 

MTP Speedwork Session -- Mile Repeats
My intended BQ marathon was over in September. It was a more challenging course (hills and mostly trails!) than anticipated. Ten weeks of training was unrealistic and not enough to achieve my goal. There was no BQ for Boston 2014.  

However, I did run my personal best marathon time. And more importantly, I truly enjoyed running the race and crossed the finish line with the excitement that was lacking from my first marathon.  I am looking forward to running the upcoming NYC Marathon and to celebrate at the finish with my MTP training group.  Thanks, Flyers MTP and my Flyer friends! 

-Tran L.

2 comments:

Alan Gardner,  October 2, 2013 at 10:57 AM  

Super reflection, Tran...no doubt there will be a BQ in your future! It's all in the quality of the post-training run single malt...;-)

Keep up the great work...see you out there! And thanks for the refreshing post!

Alan

Deb P October 2, 2013 at 4:21 PM  

Nice post, Tran! So glad running is both a pleasure and a challenge for you again, & I echo Alan's comment that a BQ will certainly be in hand for you soon! Random observation- doesn't it look like Brian is walking next to us in that last pic while we bust our bums in the interval? :-)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP