Monday, January 13, 2014

Flyer Profile: Karen H Pledges to Protect

Karen H
Hi, my name is Karen H and my biggest claim to fame as a Flyer is that I am married to the very speedy Andreas W, who introduced me to the club.  My other claim to fame is that I am constantly injured.

The latest isn’t a running injury, it is a stupidity injury:  I fell down the stairs while talking on the phone with my dad and broke the inner part of my heel in May.  A fragment chipped off, which did not heal, so I will have to have surgery in January.  The good news is that I signed up for the 2014 NY Marathon and hope to recover my surgery in time to get in enough training to be ready to run my first marathon!

Well, what’s a runner to do when she cannot run?  She swims of course.  My home away from home is now Asphalt Green at 90th and York Avenue.  For those who don’t know, Asphalt Green is home to the only 50-meter Olympic-size swimming pool in Manhattan. It is heaven, and many fellow flyers swim there including Richard B, Deb M and Vida B, so I get to see friends at the pool.  I also swim to music as I invested in a SwimPod, which is a waterproofed iPod with special headphones that clip to my goggles.  This is a great help since unlike with running, you cannot talk to your friends while you swim.

What else is a runner to do?  She becomes more active in the community, of course.  Heidi and Don C, along with Dave K, introduced me to Pledge 2 Protect.  Pledge 2 Protect is a coalition of concerned businesses, non-profits, schools and individuals standing together to oppose construction of the East 91st Street Marine Transfer Station (MTS).  The MTS would be built next to the Asphalt Green sports complex, and a ramp would be used by hundreds of garbage trucks per day to drive directly past Asphalt Green's outdoor sports field and a children's playground. Asphalt Green is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to assisting individuals of all ages and backgrounds achieve health through a lifetime of sports and fitness.

Pledge 2 Protect

The dump would pose a threat to the adults and children served by Asphalt Green, including the 31,000 children from across the City who rely on Asphalt Green’s fields, playgrounds and programs — approximately 30% of Asphalt Green's programs and services are provided at no charge. In 2012, Asphalt Green provided 165 day camp and Swim for the Future scholarships, and gave 169,409 hours of free programs on campus to assist those in need.  For more information about Asphalt Green, you can click HERE to view their website.

ASPHALT GREEN
Former Mayor Bloomberg included the MTS in the City's Solid Waste Management Plan, and Mayor de Blasio has so far stated his support for it despite the fact that it will threaten the health and safety of residents across Yorkville, East Harlem and the Upper East Side.  The MTS will result in concentrated diesel emissions from as many as 500 deadly garbage trucks per day driving right past the Asphalt Green playground and sports field.  Nearly 2,000 children each year from neighboring Harlem and East Harlem, which have the highest asthma rates in the city, participate in Asphalt Green's programs.

In the event of a flood, the proposed location is in Flood Zone A (the highest flood risk).  Flooding, such as from another disaster such as Superstorm Sand, could result in washing garbage from the MTS into waterways and the neighborhood.

The MTS would not be cost effective  the City's Independent Budget Office (IBO) issued a study that reported that disposal costs in the districts covered by the MTS would increase from $90/ton to $238/ton in the first year after the MTS opens because the costs of the MTS are so much greater than originally expected.  The NYC Department of Sanitation does not dispute the findings in the IBO report.

The dump also will receive trash that contains flammable, poisonous and other hazardous materials such as chemical household cleaning supplies, medical products and used motor oil   with trucks driving and depositing these dangerous items right next to where children play!!! If the MTS is built and becomes operational, Asphalt Green may have to close due to safety concerns.

Handing Out Flyers for
Pledge 2 Protetct
I have volunteered to be the Fundraising Director for Pledge 2 Protect to assist the organization's on-going efforts to stop the construction of the MTS.  You can click HERE for information about Pledge 2 Protect, including its mission, actions, and what individuals can do to get involved.  We need to raise approximately $1.5 million dollars in order to write position papers and perform environmental studies that may convince Mayor de Blasio and his team that this is a poor use of resources. We also are lobbying his staff and engaging in community activism.  You may have seen a picture of me on Facebook handing out leaflets. Please sign the pledge and donate by clicking HERE.

Now, back to running.  I hope that if my surgery goes well I will be back running with the Flyers 6am group in the spring and also running with my Saturday 7am group as well.  I miss everyone very much and am happy for all the social events where I can see my friends.  And I am looking forward to the Flyers Annual Awards Gala.

Gracie Mansion
As a final thought, Bill de Blasio recently stated that he and his family is moving to Gracie Mansion.  I hope he enjoys the 500 garbage trucks that would pass near his house every day if he goes through with this folly!

-Karen H

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP