Monday, January 6, 2014

Park To Plunge -- Freezin' for a Reason

Dave K
On New Year's Day 2014, a group of intrepid NY Flyers, Hellgate Road Runners, NR7 Triathletes and friends met up at Prospect Park to participate in and/or watch the annual Polar Bear Plunge at Coney Island.  Organized by Polina Savelieva (Hellgater and NR7 triathlete), the diverse group  met up at Machete Circle at the edge of Prospect Park for a roughly 6-mile run to Coney Island.
The Group Gathers at Prospect Park Eager to Run to Coney Island
Polina had participated in a similar event last year, along with Flyer Pei M.A., who eagerly joined in again. Other Flyers who joined the group were Lizabeth R, Meredith J, Meg B, Doug R and Dave K.  This would be Meg's 12th consecutive New Year's Day plunge!

Lizabeth R, Meredith J, Doug R, Pei M.A, and Meg B
The group followed a simple route to Coney Island Beach, and everyone headed out after leaving warm clothes and other items to be delivered to the beach in one of two cars toting our stuff, thanks to two volunteer drivers recruited by Polina and the use of her own car.

Park to Plunge Running Route
We packed warm and dry clothes to change into after the plunge.  Some plungers use the heated changing facilities and bathrooms near the beach.  Many simply packed a large towel for drying off and to use as a post-plunge "changing room" right there on the beach after exiting the water. Surf boots, water shoes or Vibram FiveFingers shoes were recommended because of the possibility of broken glass on the beach. 


Polina, Our Fearless Leader
Even Dressed the Part in Her Superman Cape
It was highly recommend by experienced plungers that we also bring a warming beverage for after the plunge. For some, that meant hot tea in a thermos or something along those lines. For others, it meant a bottle of something with a bit more of a kick :) And it was suggested that we bring a snack, as well as hand and foot warmers. 

Pei knew from her experience last year what additional items she would bring.  And of top priority was her polar bear hat that she wore proudly before and after the plunge!


Smiley Polar Bear Pei
The morning was cold, but no one complained as we all looked forward to greeting the New Year with an icy plunge.  And so off we went for our run to Coney Island.

Running Alongside Ocean Parkway
Polina S, Dave's friend Kathleen R, Dave K and Pei


When we arrived at the beach, we met up at Ruby's Bar and Grill and then headed to the cars to retrieve our belongings. However, some plungers not with our group seemed less concerned about the cold, or more interested in making a splash with their costumes. 



Before gaining access to the ocean, we had to each receive a wirst band from the Polar Bear Club event organizers after providing them with a liability waiver form. To shorten our waiting time so that we could plunge right away when the event got underway at 1pm, and to support an important charity, many of us donated $20 or more to Camp Sunshine.  This is an organization that supports children with life-threatening illnesses and their families. We created a team, aptly named the Park-to-Plungers, on Crowdrise.com in order to facilitate our donating.

There was quite a crowd on hand to plunge and/or to spectate.  According to the NY Daily News, 2,500 swimmers took a dip in the 41-degree ocean at Coney Island.


And, at last, the moment arrived for us, as in we ran!  

Running In!

Then, out we ran!!

And Running Out!!
It was suggested that we change as quickly as possible into dry clothes after the plunge. Also, Polina cautioned me and others to make very certain to remember where we left our stuff on the beach before heading into the water, since the cold might disorient us. I found this to be true for me, as I became even more disoriented than usual. We also were advised that we should remove all wet items ASAP after the plunge, and to not stay in the water long if we didn't know how our body may respond. 
Pei and Doug are Front and Center Among
One of the Groups Drying Off After the Plunge
For me, the Polar Bear Plunge was rather bearable (pun intended).  Maybe because I'm used to taking ice baths after long-runs and races. And probably more likely because I heeded Polina's and Pei's advice. Also, special thanks to Meredith who helped me open my hand-warmer packets!  Unfortunately, I somehow managed to get separated from the group and plunged before the rest of our entourage. But on the bright side, that enabled me to take photos of many of the others. Doug was kind enough to strike a pose for me:

Doug R Strikes a Pose and Flashes Some Runner Leg
None of us stayed in very long.  For me, it seemed like maybe 15 seconds of running screaming into the water. There weren't any waves to speak of and so I kept going until my shoulders were submerged.  I suppose I should have dunked my head for the full experience, but my excuse, and I'm sticking with it, was that I was wearing my glasses (and had stepped on and broken my other pair the day before), so wasn't taking any chances with them.  Although I did splash water over my head before casually retreating (i.e., running screaming) back to the beach (spotting Flyer Ray S dashing in as I was dashing out) in probably a few seconds faster than it took to run in.

I think I can speak for all of us in our group saying that we had a blast whether we plunged or not. I suppose part of me felt like a bit of a narcissist -- enjoying the attention from all of the people who made us feel rugged and crazy and adventurous.  When in fact I thought the plunge itself really wasn't such a big deal.


Rather, for me the best parts included the fun sharing in our nervousness leading up to the event, enjoying the subway ride chatting with Meg on the way to the meeting spot in Prospect Park, taking pleasure in my first run of the new year in running to the beach, viewing the crowd and some particularly interesting characters, soaking in the positive energy from plungers and spectators, spending the day with old and new friends, experiencing (very briefly!) the plunge itself, warming up with hot chocolate from the nearby Dunkin Donuts, heading back home by subway with Doug, Pei and her husband, and sharing photos and banter after the plunge.

Maybe I'll go back for more next year. Or maybe I'll just stick to my post-run ice baths.  Either way, it was a memorable day.

-Dave K

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP