Monday, February 17, 2014

Flyer of the Year: Scott Cohen

Scott C
Receiving the FOTY award is truly an honor and I will be forever grateful to the club for recognizing me. I'd also like to acknowledge the other fine candidates who were nominated -- Bob Cowin, Nick Jesdanun and Justine Kirby -- as they were all very deserving of the award as well and I know we are all appreciative of all of their efforts and service through the years. 

In a very real sense the Flyers have taught me so much about my own life and who I'd like to be. As I enter my 20th year as a NYF, I can't believe how fast the past twenty years have gone. As I write this I think back to my humble beginnings with our club like that first time in October 1994, on the cusp of running my first NYC marathon.

My then neighbor and teammate, FlyerTom D, told me about the buses his club charters to take the members from Lexington and 86th street all the way to the start in Ft.  Wadsworth in Staten Island. Back then I recall it was two maybe three buses at the most until it grew and grew through the years as the clubs ranks swelled. As I continued to find my stride and race anything and everything I could, I also began to develop and nurture my love for the Flyers and the great people who were and continue to be part of its charm.  

2003
With Amy S, John W and Tim D
I began to want to become more involved as friendships and the club itself grew. I wanted to emulate certain people who always pushed past their own boundaries on the roads and within our ranks, always looking to improve themselves and the club they cherished.  

In proudly accepting my FOTY award at the gala I had expressed gratitude to a lot of individuals that include Laurie Harris who inspired us with her energy, her determination to live, to love and to run and that's how I will always choose to remember her. The opportunity to create the Laurie Harris Hope and Dreams 5K Race to support Laurie also produced an opportunity for so many of us to be together on a sunny warm Saturday morning and feel the love and energy we created!

With Laurie Harris
March Madness Biathlon 2004
I had mentioned at this year's Flyers Annual Awards Gala that possibly on one beautiful warm day to come, while you're out on your run -- whether it's to clear your head, to zone out or whatever reasons we need or don't need to push our bodies and minds -- that off in the distance maybe you'll see her distinctive running gait. Maybe the focus will become sharper and you might see that shock of blond bouncy curly hair and finally maybe you'll see and receive her warm smile and loving embrace. 

I feel very fortunate to belong to a club that not only has helped and encouraged me to always reach for more within myself and my athletic potential, but perhaps more significantly has allowed me to find my voice and use it, to conceive and apply ideas and in the process apply leadership, make mistakes but also make many new friends and do my best to continue to make the NYF the most dynamic club in NYC. 


In closing I'd like to offer that a club like ours will only continue to be as good and vibrant as the people who want to be involved and committed and I want to use this passage of thanks and gratitude to encourage and ask anybody who enjoys being a Flyer to use their voice, to offer their ideas and opinions and to continue to make the Flyers even better. 

Ask not what your running club can do for you but....

Go Flyers!!!

-Scott C

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP