Monday, February 10, 2014

Flyer Profile: Christy J

Christy J
Howdy! I just re-joined the Flyers after a hiatus of a few years and wanted to take the opportunity to re-introduce myself to the club.

I started running in 2006 when I heard my company had a team that competed against other media firms in a weeknight 5K series. Even though I had never been an athlete, was born with a gait deformity that was surgically corrected when I was little, and was consistently picked last in gym class all the way through high school, something in me stirred. 

I said, “That sounds like fun!,” showed up with a pair of Keds I borrowed from my mom, and spent 45 minutes lumbering up and down the hills of Central Park, cursing my decision all the while. Did I mention this 5K series was in the summer?

Despite my miserable racing debut, I quickly became hooked and found myself waking at an ungodly hour before work to run up Eastern Parkway into Prospect Park to train. Ever the cheapskate, I suddenly found the purchase of items such as Speedlaces, foot pods, and the latest fads in post-race nutrition imminently justifiable. I ran my first half (the always-frigid Manhattan Half) in January 2007 and made the foolish decision to jump right into 26.2 (Columbus Marathon) in 2007.


My dismal performance in that event (who the hell eats spaghetti with Italian sausage the night before a marathon? —yep, you guessed it) caused me to re-evaluate my torrid love affair with the sport. I watched Chrissie Wellington take the Ironman World Championship by storm that year and decided running and I needed to separate for a while. 

I bought a wetsuit, taught myself how to ride a bike for the first time at 26, and took up multisport, completing the NYC Triathlon and a sprint tri in Belmar, N.J., in 2009. But I soon discovered that I was rather terrified of cycling, post-work swims were a logistical pain in the butt, and twice-weekly runs weren’t giving me the endorphin fix I needed. It was time to kick triathlon to the curb and get back to my true love.


Since reuniting with running full-time in late 2009, I’ve logged miles all over the city; in Washington, DC; on Ohio country roads; and in Bermuda, Barbados, St. Lucia, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. I’ve done 9+1 twice and the NYC Marathon once.  I’ve volunteered with Achilles International and with KEEN New Yorka group that pairs adults one-on-one with disabled children for two hours of sports and games.  


But after joining the JackRabbit long training run group for the 2013 NYC Marathon, I found that I missed my one-year stint with the Flyers from 2007-2008—that simple pleasure of connecting with others through the joy of our sport. 


I’m excited to meet new friends on group runs and volunteer to plan social and community service events for the club. In a nutshell, I’m so happy to be back! Cheers!!

~Christy J

4 comments:

Anonymous,  February 10, 2014 at 12:06 PM  

Great to have you back, Christy! Hope you have a great year of running!
-Steve Kairys

Anonymous,  February 10, 2014 at 7:03 PM  

Go Christy! You're an inspiration!

Alan,  February 10, 2014 at 10:20 PM  

Great stuff, Christy! If you have not already, reach out to Louie Reyes, the Flyers MAL to connect with our social committee. And always feel free to reach out to me, too. Was nice meeting you at that Thursday run...welcome back into the fold!!!

Alan

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP