My 100th Marathon -- Baton Rouge, LA
![]() |
| Kathy K |
On January 19, 2014, I ran my 100th marathon at the Louisiana Marathon in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Baton Rouge (aka the Red Stick City) is the state capitol of Louisiana, and the second largest city in the state.
I love New Orleans (the largest city in the state), but Baton Rouge has its own unique special charm and quaintness. It even has its own Tiger!
The
choice to run the Louisiana Marathon was an extremely excellent choice.
I
first visited Baton Rouge two years ago. Initially, I had mixed feelings
about it. Although it was filled with history and the campus of LSU was
beautiful, downtown Baton Rouge seemed to be rather quiet on weekends. (As I
mention below, I was assured that, even in two years, there have been some
dynamic changes in the city, and boy, were they right!)
But
why exactly choose Baton Rouge, LA for this momentous occasion? I’ll tell you
why.
First, the Marathon
Maniacs, a club filled with many wonderful zany runners (many of
whom I call friends) chose the Louisiana Marathon as the annual “reunion”
marathon. That basically meant sharing the love, excitement, glory, support and
insanity with a few hundred friends. People who didn’t shake their heads at me
and say “HOW MANY MARATHONS?????” They get the lunacy. They embrace it. They
make me look sane by comparison. And, I like that!
Second,
I recall the Louisiana Marathon from two years ago. Although it was an
inaugural event, it had all those extra touches that only a smaller marathon
can have. From the race director, to the volunteers, to the people of the
city – everyone greeted us with open arms. That means a lot to me. The marathon
itself encouraged and promoted not only the swift runners, but those of all
abilities and paces. Although I finished the 2012 marathon at the back of
the pack, there were still plenty of people cheering and whooping it up and
enjoying a party atmosphere with food, beer and music! Man, there was
still a party going on. I appreciate that.
Third, although I live in a large city, I love smaller cities
that go out of their way to welcome guests. Last June, I attended a travel
bloggers conference in Toronto (TBEX), and Visit
Baton Rouge, the tourism board for the city, was an active sponsor
at the event. Seeing how they supported and believed in bloggers, I contacted
them and expressed my interest in visiting and exploring Baton Rouge in my
capacity, not only as a runner, but also a travel writer. They welcomed me with
the widest of open arms. They told me I should come back and see the changes –
that the city was vibrant and growing. They were bubbling over with pride
and the enthusiasm was contagious – I wanted to visit and see the changes with
my own eyes and write all about it. They were so right – the city is indeed
flourishing!
![]() |
| Flat Kat |
It is this sort of
environment that makes for a perfect marathon. I had a memorable trip on so
many levels. From being treated to 26 miles of beautiful lakes and homes at the
Louisiana Marathon and being cheered and congratulated by strangers and friends
alike — including an appearance on the race course by my good friend, Won’t Run For Miles, who
borrowed a hotel bicycle to find me at the 24 Mile mark of the marathon!
Then there was the inspirational speech at the pasta party by
Matt Long, who exemplified the meaning of determination and the power of the
will to live! What more can you ask for? I also had the opportunity to visit an
art museum, shop at a bustling farmer’s market, eat po boys and jambalaya, stroll
past the old and new state capitals, walk on the campus of the new performing
arts center, the Shaw Center, walk through an old casino housed on an old
riverboat and tour an old war ship, the U.S.S. Kidd. It’s a wonder I had time
to run, isn’t it?
(Note:
the trip was a sponsored media trip and a portion of my travel and lodging was
provided by Visit Baton Rouge. However, all of my opinions are my own).
-Kathy K.





0 comments:
Post a Comment