Friday, September 5, 2014

Running with Pork Chop

Lindsay M
For those of you on the run (pun intended), here’s a little about me: I’m originally from Toledo, Ohio, and have been living in NYC for the last three years. I live with my husband and my dog/side-kick, Pork Chop.  

After working for a large architecture firm for more than seven years, I left in March to start my own business. I now run Lindsay MacRae Interiors, LLC, a residential interior design business. I love it. I also love animals and hope to one day volunteer full-time for an animal rescue group.
Visiting an elephant sanctuary in Thailand!
For the full story:

My running career started in junior high school. My best friend convinced me to join the cross-country team with her. I never liked running and was an overweight pre-teen (with braces and huge glasses!). I still gave it a shot, but I struggled. I was teased by some high school boys. I quit the team and swore to NEVER. RUN. AGAIN. 

It’s OK! Things got better.

Years later, I studied architecture and interior design at the University of Cincinnati. One summer, I landed an internship at Walt Disney World in Orlando, FL. I loved working there and my internship turned into a seasonal job. As soon as I graduated, I left and moved to Orlando. That’s where I put my hard-earned college degree to use –– by working in a theme park (my parents were not amused) for nearly ten years. I had the amazing opportunity to perform in parades and shows and make magic for thousands of park guests on a daily basis. I will neither confirm nor deny which roles I played but I will say that I dressed up and lied to a lot of children. And yes, the summer heat was brutal!

Here’s one of my Disney pals
Loooong story short, I moved to NYC in 2011 for a guy who, luckily, is now my husband. We got engaged and wedding planning was coming along until my first dress fitting. It was awful. My dress didn’t fit. I hit a Weight Watchers plateau and I was getting married in less than three months. I knew it was time to start running. 

I put Pork Chop in a running harness, and off we went. At first I could not even run the 1.7 lower loop of Central Park. I instantly had cramps and couldn’t breathe. I was the slowest person in the park –– everyone passed me. Everyone. Poor Pork Chop wished his owner wasn’t so slow. I got some running tips from my brother and eventually I had run a full mile without stopping. I celebrated with a pair of Lululemon running pants. I basically continued running because of how good I felt in them.
A few months later the dress fit
Me 'n' Mickey
It was around that time that a lot of my Facebook friends started running Disney races. I had NEVER considering running a race, but if Mickey Mouse was hosting one then I was in. Period.

I started training for the WDW Half Marathon by signing up for a race in Central Park. It was a 4-mile run and I was afraid that I would be the last person to finish. I soon realized that races were super-fun and the energy of the other runners and high-fives from the crowds made me run much faster. I ended up finishing the race with a pace of 9:35. After that I was hooked – you know how it goes.
Ted Corbitt 15K - This was a cold race!
Last year I completed my 9+1 requirement for guaranteed entry into the 2014 NYC Marathon and am now training to run the NYC Marathon in November. I am excited and nervous. I decided to join a running club to help prepare for the marathon. Also, I needed a run buddy that wasn’t a 4-minute miler like Pork Chop.

Pork Chop training on his treadmill (he paid for it himself –– no, really)
I had my eye set on a couple of running clubs and was hoping to fit into one that had a dog in their logo or pink singlets. A friend suggested that I try the Flyers even though their color was red.

Yep, That's Me (With Some New NY Flyer Friends :)!
2nd From the Right, Helping Lead the 10 Minute Per Mile NYRR Pace Group
I went to a couple of Saturday runs and found that the Flyers were the friendliest bunch and had a lot to offer. I bought a Flyer singlet to get free beer on a third Thursday and figured it was time to officially join the club. I am happy to have found such a nice group to run with, and even raced in the Club Team Championships in my Flyers singlet in August, and then served as a pace leader for the Flyers at the NYRR Long-Training Run #2. 

-Lindsay M

Blogmaster's Note: As Lindsay mentioned, she's an interior designer, and if you're curious to read about that side of her life or are in need of some design help, you can click HERE to view her website.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP