Three Bridges Run – Behind the Scenes or “Please volunteer for Three Bridges Run #2”
![]() |
| Linda C |
You’ve probably heard about the Flyers’ Three Bridges Run. It’s
the Flyers 20-mile long training run that takes runners over three bridges: the
Brooklyn Bridge, Pulaski Bridge, and Queensboro Bridge. Bag check is provided,
runners are divided into pace groups, and there are pacers and fluid stations. Just how do these runs come together? Well,
now that Three Bridges Run #1 is done for this year and we’re gearing up for
Three Bridges Run #2, I’m going to give you a brief look into what takes place
to make the run happen. Please volunteer
for Three Bridges Run #2.
The Flyers holds two Three Bridges Runs and the idea is to
plan them at a time that works with most fall marathon training schedules. I
don’t know who planned the first Three Bridges Runs for the Flyers (Blogmaster's Note: It was Glen W as confirmed by Lara K), but we’ve
built upon those original runs every year. I organized this year’s and last
year’s runs and planned the runs on the same weekends as previous years, so
September 7th and October 11th were chosen as the days
for this year’s runs. The dates were run by the Executive Board for good
measure and our hosts, the New York Running Company, and then the dates were
announced on the Flyers’ website. This year, the Executive Board also discussed
and approved an increase in the fee for non-Flyers-members to sign-up for the
runs. The Flyers web gurus then set up the sign-up pages for runners and
volunteers. Please volunteer for Three
Bridges Run #2.
Once the sign-up pages for the runs were on the Flyers’
website, runners start signing up for the run. A separate volunteer
registration webpage was also set up and some of our long-time Flyers members
who have volunteered in previous years signed-up to volunteer to staff the
fluid stations along the course or to pace. From the time the sign-up pages are
set up, I began to almost compulsively check runner and volunteer sign-ups. Then
the questions start: Will we have enough pacers? Will we have people to staff
the fluid stations???? Does anyone really run a training run at 7:30
minutes/mile pace? Luckily I internalized all these questions or I’d be
institutionalized. Please volunteer for
Three Bridges Run #2 – and we will need a 7:30 minutes/mile pacer!!!
I still had to tweak the course map! Since last year’s runs, the New York Running Company’s
east side store moved locations a few stores down from the store’s previous
location. It should have been fairly easy to adjust last year’s east side
course map for the new store location, but that’s when I found I had not saved
last year’s east side course map! I had saved the map of the course that
started from New York Running Company’s west side store. It should be easy to
adjust the map for the different start/stop location, right? Well, not as easy
as one would like especially not as easily as I would like. I made adjustments,
but then runners wouldn’t cross the Queensboro Bridge until mile 18 – that
wasn’t going to work. Please volunteer for Three Bridges Run #2.
The idea is to have the runners cross the Queensboro
Bridge at the same mile as they would, if they were running the New York City
Marathon, so between Mile 15 and Mile 16. The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure
was scheduled for the same day as Three Bridges Run #1. I had to check their
course and start time to make sure that would not interfere with our runners –
it looked like we’d be okay, that run would not start until later. The course
map was then set. Ugh, we still needed more pacers. I sent e-mails to all the
Flyers signed up to run the race pleading for volunteers to pace. The e-mail
helped to generate more volunteers, but we still needed more pacers. We needed
at least one, but ideally at least 4 pacers, for each pace group. My fingers
were crossed for more volunteers. Please
volunteer for Three Bridges Run #2.
The run was getting closer, and then it happened… Ed A who usually volunteers to coordinate the fluid stations was not going to be
available for Three Bridges Run #1!!! Uh-oh, I needed to find someone to step
in to that position. That someone needed to be able to drive to help set up and
tear down each fluid station and deliver the water, Gatorade, and energy gels
to each fluid station. Theoretically, I could do it (get someone else at the
store to help with the sign-in and baggage check), but I’ve driven only once
since I’ve gotten my driver’s license. Yes, it’s been over 10 years, but I
don’t drive and taking the subway and city buses to the fluid stations wasn’t
going to work. Maybe it was the long-run
god or Pheidippides, but Richard B volunteered to coordinate the fluid
stations! Richard got to work and
quickly moved fluid station volunteers around to make sure we had volunteers
for each of the three locations (in lower Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens). And,
we still needed more pacers. I then started sending e-mails to Flyers signed up
for specific paces for which we still needed pacers. That helped and we got
more volunteers. Please volunteer for
Three Bridges Run #2.
As the run approached, I sent e-mails to runners and pacers
with information they would need for the day of the run. I also had to field
questions for runners. The weekend before the run, I ordered water and Gatorade
to be delivered to the New York Running Company. Implementing some suggestions
from last year, I asked Naomi R to help come up with a navigational pointers
sheet for the pacers, which I printed to hand-out to the pacers on the day of
the run, and I printed out back-bibs for the pacers, so that they could easily
be identified. Please volunteer for Three Bridges Run #2.
We still needed more pacers and I started getting e-mails from pacers
who had to pull-out due to injury or work commitments. More e-mails to Flyers
signed up for the run with pleas to please volunteer to pace. Please volunteer for Three Bridges Run #2.
The night before the run, more e-mails to pacers with last
minute information…. Uh-oh, I got a reply from David F (a Flyers member
and one of the pacers) – the Century Bike Tour was also going to be tomorrow! Argh!
What’s their course? I was madly Google-ing and reading their website,
reviewing Map My Ride course maps– 100 miles with two start locations and some
overlap with the Flyers’ Three Bridges Run course. Okay, no course adjustments
needed, but the pacers and fluid station volunteers needed to know – more
e-mails. Please volunteer for Three
Bridges Run #2.
The day of the run, I arrived at the New York Running
Company’s east side store at 6AM. The store was open and Richard B was
already there loading up the van with Gatorade. Andrea M, who was helping
out with the sign-in and baggage check, soon arrived and we set-up for the
runners. The runners and pacers started to file into the store signing in and
checking their bags. Every 15 minutes beginning at 6:30, we sent waves of
runners out and on their way. All the pacers made it and soon it was 7:30 and
the last of the runners were off. We set out the water for the runners’ return
and Andrea and I left the store to return later around 9:15, when we could
expect the first of the runners to return to the store. Please volunteer for Three Bridges Run #2.
The runners and volunteers soon returned to the store and
the New York Running Company had purchased some post-run snacks (mini cupcakes
and KIND bars) and coffee for the returning runners. It was great to hear what
all the runners and volunteers had to say. There were some suggestions for
course adjustments and reports on the fluid stations (some ran out of water –
sorry about that!). All the runners and volunteers seemed to have had a good
time. The New York Running Company gave all the runners a discount for the day
and it was a long morning (especially for the weekend), but it all seemed worth
it. The run was successful and it was all due to our great team members who
volunteered to help make the run come together. I hope you join us on the Three
Bridges Run #2 on October 11th and Please volunteer for Three Bridges Run #2.
Blogmaster's Note: Rumor has it that volunteers are needed for Three Bridges Run #2. To sign up to volunteer, please click HERE :)



0 comments:
Post a Comment