Flyers Flashback Friday -- 1999 Executive Board Nominee Statements
Blogmaster's Note: This year is the Flyer's 25th Anniversary as a running club in NYC. In honoring our long history, this is the last in a series of posts this year featuring excerpts from Flyers newsletters dating back to 1992. For prior posts under this category, please click HERE.
Since during the new month we Flyers will elect the new Flyers Executive Board that will take us into the 2nd quarter century of the club's existence, this blog post takes us back 15 years to 1999 to see what the candidates running for office had to say in their campaign platforms back then.
In December 1999, there was one candidate for President (Amy Stern) and Secretary (Sara Dziklewicz), along with five candidates for VP (Ed Altman was elected), two candidates for Treasurer (Tim Decker was elected), and three candidates for Member at Large (Vicky Tiase was elected).
Below are excerpts from the campaign platforms of the Flyers who were nominated in 1999 and then were elected to serve on the Executive Board in 2000.
To read the entire newsletter from which this article appeared, you'll need your Flyers password when you click HERE. -Dave K, NY Flyers Blogmaster
Election 2000 Candidate Biographies
![]() |
| Amy |
Amy Stern, President
"... I now believe it's time to turn our attention inward. I envision the Flyer logo overwhelming the Park, events filled to capacity, newer members bringing their fresh ideas to the fore, and long-standing members experiencing a revitalized interest in club activities. Through our efforts, I want all members to rediscover their passion for sport and play."
Ed Altman, Vice President
"... As your Vice President I will continue to seek your input regarding the direction of the team and will work to ensure that the Flyer experience is pleasant and rewarding for all of us."
![]() |
| Ed |
Tim Decker, Treasurer
"... If elected NYF Treasurer, you will see the same attention to detail, fairness and dedication that has been evident in my efforts on behalf of the Flyers in the past. You will also return a strong, experienced voice to our Executive Committee.
![]() |
| Tim |
Sara Dzikiewicz (aka Sara Heard), Secretary
"... In the interest of full disclosure I should admit that I'm a lousy minutes taker, but hey... nobody's perfect."
![]() |
| Sara |
![]() |
| Vicky |
Vicky Tiase, Member at Large
"As an avid runner I looked to the Flyers three years ago for some people with whom to share my love of running and athletics, and to socialize just a little. Not only did I find what I was searching for, but I also had the opportunity to meet great people, some of which have become my best friends.... I decided it was time to give more of myself and take a more integral role in the premier running club of the area. My goal is to see the New York Flyers work even more efficiently and to reach every member in some remarkable way."
Blogmaster's Other Note: Please remember to vote in this year's election. And for the uncontested positions, please still read the candidate biographies -- you can click HERE to read the bios of all of the candidates. Each candidate has a strong vision for the club, just as they did 15 years ago. I think we'd all agree that we owe all of them a debt of gratitude for running for office, not just this year, but throughout the years. We all get out of the Club as much or more as we put into it, and with the leadership of our Executive Board members, and the involvement and support of the membership, we all can be excited about what's yet to come :)






0 comments:
Post a Comment