Friday, January 9, 2015

NYC 60K Race Review

Jo R
The NYRR NYC 60K is an ultramarathon race with great volunteer support and spirit, but the distance can be a challenge for even the most experienced runner. The race consisted of nine four-mile loops of Central Park, plus an additional mile that we ran at the start for a total of 37.2 miles. It was a race that I’d wanted to run for the past two years before I had any experience running marathons. 

For those who don't know me, here's some background. I’m Canadian and grew up in the suburbs of Vancouver. I had a ten-year career in education and worked as a photographer on and off over the years. Since moving to the city I’ve transitioned into digital marketing and work as a consultant in social media strategy for a television production company.

This summer I moved to New York, joined the NY Flyers running club, and was introduced me to the Flyers Run SMART Marathon Training ProgramBefore joining the Flyers I’d only run one marathon and had little experience with speed work or drills.  

In 2015 I hope to qualify for Boston and know that the support of the Flyers and Head Coach Brian Rosetti’s coaching will help me get there. Running with the Flyers is a great addition to my life and I love traveling to run marathons. In October I ran Chicago and the Marine Corps Marathon before the 60K so I felt my body was ready for the distance even though I’d never run beyond 26.2 miles. 

The first part of the 60K was light and easy with the Flyers supporting my pacing between miles 6 to 27. Alan G met me early on at mile 6 and we ran together for my second loop. Later I met up with Dave K, Luiza S, and Dermot H who helped pace another two loops. Flyer Akbar J was a very big help -- maintaining my 10:08 pace for two more loops until mile 27. 
At Right With Dermot and Luiza During the 60K
However, when Akbar left I was began to slow down and was at a 10:30 pace for the rest of loop six and into loop seven. By mile 30 I felt fatigued and did my best to run and walk for the next two miles. At mile 32 I hit the wall and could no longer run. My hips and right foot felt sore and I did not want to risk injury by running. I decided to power-walk the rest of the race, but the 41 degree weather felt cold and I had to get my down jacket out of gear check to continue. This was really tough stretch to get through as I was very low energy. 

The NYRR volunteers had to help me unpack my jacket from my bag as I had no energy to open the backpack and was so weak that even carrying my iPhone felt heavy. I walked the last loop and finished in 7:14:33. This might not be the fastest finishing time but I feel really proud of completing the 60K as it took everything I had to finish.

Overall, the NYC 60K is a race I would recommend as it felt very meaningful to push my body beyond the limits of the marathon in the comfort and familiarity of Central Park. The support of the Flyers made a huge difference and I would not have been able to maintain a 10:30 pace for 30 miles without their help. Dave offered some great advice and said the timing of the 60K can present a risk of injury if the body has not had time to fully recover from 26.2 miles. 

After Completing the California International Marathon
I agree and feel there should be at least a month between a marathon and the 60K as my body felt very sore during the last 10k and post-race. Since the 60K I’ve run the California International Marathon that took place three weeks after the race. My time was slow as my body felt beaten up by too much running -- four marathons in two months. However, the marathons were so much fun that part of me wants to participate in them all again next year. I will definitely be up for the NYC 60K in 2015 as either a Flyer pacer for another runner or NYRR volunteer. 

-Jo R

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP