New York Flyers Celebrate with Big Night of the Year
It’s the Flyer equivalent of the Recording Academy’s Grammys, the annual Flyer Awards Gala. This year marked the 20th year, with the club’s most accomplished runners in typical award ceremony format - shuttling themselves up to the podium to offer a brief thanks and to strike a pose for the camera. As a member of the audience and running community, I personally acclaim each winner. Not just for the number of miles they logged in 2009, or their ability to run fast.
I think John Quincy Adams puts it best: “If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”
There are plenty of most memorables from the evening. To mention a few; moist chicken and pork, my boyfriend’s usual purchase of too many raffle tickets, my mom’s excitement of being at yet another one of her adult child’s festivities, my big brother in attendance and an open bar that put to test a cocktail lover’s will power the night before a long run (thanks to my running buddies, I succeeded.)
Turns out, my non-runner boyfriend (Keith J.)’s decision to take part in a game of chance paid off. He won a $125 gift certificate to a local running shop and a new running watch. He has yet to gift them to me or anyone else to my knowledge. Did anyone see him in Central Park running…sporting new gear? A dance floor evocative of 80s dance movies like Footloose and Flashdance prompted me to stay well past midnight. The best part, I didn’t regret it the next morning.
Until the next big flyer night, I challenge myself to a BQ marathon this spring. I challenge my fellow Flyers to lots of short/fun runs, a few hill repeats up Cat Hill and one loop around the reservoir.
Gotta run. Have a good year. – Lisa S.
1 comments:
Perhaps the non-runner boyfriend will take up running and we'll have one more person out in the park when he's in NYC.
Post a Comment