Monday, May 24, 2010

Brooklyn Half Marathon Recap

This was my 3rd time running the Brooklyn Half-Marathon, 1st time on the new course-and I finally had both a race performance and time for this race I was happy with (not to mention a great post-race party!).

Things on race morning went like clockwork-the Flyers bus made it to Prospect Park in plenty of time (many thanks to Richard B. for arranging this again!), no lines for bag check or craziness getting into the corrals, and the start was relatively smooth too.

My goal for this race was a 1:45, so my plan was to average under 8 minute miles in Prospect Park and then pick up the pace on Ocean Parkway. I started the race running with Deb M. and Joe J. but they pulled way ahead and I let them go...wanted to run my own race. A few weeks ago, I had done a long run consisting of 3 loops of Prospect Park and it paid off as the evil hill (you all know which one!) seemed less intimidating. I exited the park at mile 7 right on target, if not a little bit ahead of my goal.

Unlike Prospect Park, which was packed with spectators and cheering sections, Ocean Parkway was pretty quiet. Even with the absence of hills, it was pretty tough, but I hung in there. Was very happy to see Richard B. out there taking pictures, and a couple of friends of mine from Urban Athletics cheering too-both were definitely welcome sights. Dr. Marc B. caught up to me around mile 9 or 10 and I tried to use him as my rabbit for the last few miles on the parkway.

At the 12-mile mark, I felt the finish line calling my name. One more mile. Less than 10 minutes. I can do that. Finally the turn onto Surf Ave and then another left, up the ramp, onto the boardwalk. Yes, the boardwalk: two years in a row, it tore up my calves and left me in pain for a good part of the race. This year - none of that. I did feel the boards moving underfoot, though. Normally I can really gun the last 1.1 miles of a half, but I think I had to step off the accelerator a little bit to prevent from wiping out. And even though the crowds were great here (thanks to Flyer Anthony P. for coming back out and cheering after his great race!), the scenery was very nice…this mile just seemed to last forever!! I think my legs were tired of the boardwalk. :) Finally, the Mile 13 sign and I can see the finish line!! Did the best I could for a finishing kick while staying vertical at the same time. I finished in 1:42:27-which I was very happy with!

But the best was yet to come! All the Flyers I saw were in really good spirits afterwards and ready to have some Coney Island fun. First off, me and Flyers Elle G., Charlotte N., Kate M. and Jessica R. headed over to the ocean…while a couple of them had a desire to go swimming, I just wanted to dip my legs in the Atlantic to give them a nice ice bath. While it was eventually deemed that the water was too cold for swimming, it felt absolutely awesome on my legs. Then even better: a lot of Flyers (and other teams, I saw) congregated at Beer Island to toast ourselves and our races. Just a lot of fun kicking back, having a few beers by the beach in the morning with a bunch of friends…love it!! A few of us were saying how we may need to make this an ending point for some long runs this summer! Finally, after some Nathan's hot dogs and fries, we were all ready to make the trek back to Manhattan and ready for some well-deserved naps.

I give a huge thumbs up to the Brooklyn half, version 2.0. I am looking forward to running this one again next year! Congrats to all the Flyers who ran the race! - Lara K.

1 comments:

Uli,  May 24, 2010 at 4:56 PM  

Nice time, Lara!! And great recap. I "practiced" the Prospect Park hills before my first Brooklyn 1/2 (my first ever 1/2, in fact) back in . . . 2003 -- I never could have finished the race without that experience. Way to go!!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP