Racing June
What's a guy or gal to do in June? How about go for a race or two (or maybe 10 if you're Tim D.)!
I know, I know. We've heard that many of us race too much.
And we've been told that we should do race-specific training, like what the elite Kenyans and others do, for just a few pre-determined goal races so that we can achieve our best possible finish time whenever we race. Sure, if that's the goal then that seems to make a lot of sense.
Personally, I like to race fairly often and I do so because it's fun! Like many racing runners, I like:
- The pre-race anxiety that gets my adrenaline flowing and gives me an endorphin rush.
- Challenging my limits and testing my will
- The roar of the crowd chanting "Dave, Dave, Dave" as I fly by (yes, I have a rich fantasy life)
- NYRR's Peter Ciaccia (Chacha!) instructing us to run in a circle
- Seeing Flyers at the start, along the route, cheering, taking photos, and getting friendly with each other post-race
- Running with friends or family
- Pacing someone else to a PR
- Guiding an Achilles athlete from start to finish
- Trying to out-run jugglers, runners in crazy outfits, and strangers who may push me to a friendly finish-line kick to see who will get there first and who will go down in flames trying but come up short
- Checking out all the fantastic post-race photos taken by Bob C., Richard B., Brian H., Cheryl S., Andreas S., Lara K. and others who frequently photograph Flyers in Flight (maybe next time I'll even like how I look!)
- Checking out the post-race results (maybe next time I'll be faster than any of the Flyers who always finish faster than me!) along with Dana's clever comments that liven up the Flyers News Flash on the homepage
- Rationalizing taking a day off from speedwork the following week because I just ran an up-tempo Tempo Run
- The post-race nap (rare, but savored when I can grab one!)
So, drum roll, here are some opportunities for Racing June (I hear she's fast :)

NYRR
There are plenty of New York Road Runner Races in June, including the Japan Run, the Mini 10K, Wall Street Run & Heart Walk, Front Runners NY Lesbian and Gay Pride Run, Achilles Hope and Possibility Race, and more, more, more.
Race Brooklyn
Races in Prospect Park are lots of fun, including the Wednesday Evening Summer Speed Series. These 5K races occur every other Wednesday at 7pm, including June 9th and June 23rd.
Trail Races
Spring and summer is a great time to hit the trails, and there are many races not too far away. For a list of trail races throughout the U.S., visit: www.trailrunnermag.com/racecalendar.php And, don't forget the Van Cortlandt Park Speed Series X-Country Summer Races
Long Island
Race the AIDS/Cancer 5K in Seaford, the New Hyde Park 8K, the Shelter Island 10K, and other races of varying K's www.lirunning.com/races.htm.
Westchester
Why not the North County 5K in Yorktown, the YMCA 5K in Tarrytown, the Centaur 10K in Sleepy Hollow, or one of many other Westchester races?
New Jersey
In New Jersey, how about the Lakeview 5K for the Institute of Disabilities, Montclair 10K, or the President's Cup 5K? Not enough for you? Check out the many other great NJ Races here!
Connecticut
There are lots and lots of Connecticut races listed on the Running in the U.S.A website. If you can make it out to the gorgeous Fairfield, CT Half Marathon on June 27th, I'll be there, too (and if you want a ride to/from the race, let me know).
Elsewhere
Or check out one of many other races, including some listed on the NY Flyers Other Events Calendar .
So, Flyers, it's off to the races with us. May we all have Jubilant June races, and remember to heed Gabi's wise words and keep our cool. - Dave K.




1 comments:
I'll be at the Fairfield 1/2 too - it's a great race and the LI Sound is a nice way to cool off after.
Post a Comment