UAE Healthy Kidney 10K Recap
A stunning Saturday sun and gentle cool breeze greeted runners lacing it up for the UAE Healthy Kidney 10K this morning in Central Park. With cool temperatures and low humidity, the elite men ripped through the demanding 6.2-mile course. Gebre Gebremariam of Ethiopia set a new course record in an astonishingly fast 27:42. That’s 4:28 per mile through all those hills, folks! (I try not to think about where I was on the course when Gebremarian broke the tape for the win.) It was also a welcome-back of sorts for running legend (at age 38) and new American citizen Khalid Khannouchi who finished in a very impressive 30:31. Not a bad way to restart the career. Word has it, too, that they are working on a new TV-show based on “Welcome Back Kotter”, a running version called “Welcome Back Khalid”. (Guess I’m dating myself with that reference.)
I ran into many Flyers before, during and after the event and it’s always great to see how well-represented we are at all of these races. I hung out in the start corral with Pat Duffy and Anthony Pitarresi, each of whom turned in great performances of their own. Pat and I talked briefly about the importance of keeping the shoulders relaxed throughout the run. It’s a great pointer and one that as runners, we maybe don’t typically think about. But keeping the shoulders relaxed certainly alleviates stress and can improve one’s performance. Personally I still run with my shoulders up by my ears at times, but I’m working on it!
A couple of funny things I noticed during the run that seem to be par for the course during all races….
All in all, I guess running in these races is akin to driving on America’s roadways! But the one thing about these races and the sport of running in general I’ve noticed is how it unites people. There’s such a positive vibe in the running community! I’m thankful that I decided to join the community and the New York Flyers. In a world where it can sometimes seem like people on one side are just yelling at people on the other and no one is taking the time to listen, or where it can seem like no one ever has a positive thing to say, running is the great sanctuary, a magical elixir of positive mojo that can cure what ails you!
After the race, it was time to head back downtown. On a day where there were many great Flyer performances, I’d just like to take a moment to congratulate Chris Morgenroth who finished third in her division today. An accomplished runner, Chris continues to inspire and impress by churning out strong performance after strong performance.
Cheers all! - Drew G., Team Captain - Masters Men
I ran into many Flyers before, during and after the event and it’s always great to see how well-represented we are at all of these races. I hung out in the start corral with Pat Duffy and Anthony Pitarresi, each of whom turned in great performances of their own. Pat and I talked briefly about the importance of keeping the shoulders relaxed throughout the run. It’s a great pointer and one that as runners, we maybe don’t typically think about. But keeping the shoulders relaxed certainly alleviates stress and can improve one’s performance. Personally I still run with my shoulders up by my ears at times, but I’m working on it!
A couple of funny things I noticed during the run that seem to be par for the course during all races….
- The “I missed my exit” sudden B-line from one side of the course to the other to get to the fluid station.
- The “over the shoulder blind spot check and veer” by a runner you are about to overtake and that runner’s subsequent veer into your path.
- The “I must protect this house” extended arm flailing movement which subtly suggests to all nearby runners “STAY BACK!”or “stay out of my kitchen or you’re gonna get burned.”
- The “thank god it’s over“ complete, full stop at the finish line. Not a yard or two after the finish line or a fade to walk after crossing the line, but a full stop right at the line.
All in all, I guess running in these races is akin to driving on America’s roadways! But the one thing about these races and the sport of running in general I’ve noticed is how it unites people. There’s such a positive vibe in the running community! I’m thankful that I decided to join the community and the New York Flyers. In a world where it can sometimes seem like people on one side are just yelling at people on the other and no one is taking the time to listen, or where it can seem like no one ever has a positive thing to say, running is the great sanctuary, a magical elixir of positive mojo that can cure what ails you!
After the race, it was time to head back downtown. On a day where there were many great Flyer performances, I’d just like to take a moment to congratulate Chris Morgenroth who finished third in her division today. An accomplished runner, Chris continues to inspire and impress by churning out strong performance after strong performance.
Cheers all! - Drew G., Team Captain - Masters Men
Flyer Women at the Healthy Kidney 10K



1 comments:
Drew,
Great post. Absolutely - Congratulations go to Chris. You're right in that she continues to inspire.
Funny, I always thought that the sub-7 milers have less to worry about on the course, but the funny things you see are similar to what the 9 minute milers in some ways, although some are due to the more competitive nature of your pace runners.
Our runners do veer to the water station, but we have the "Oh, it's time for a walk break" drinkers, and "Hmmm, which cup looks good?" folks also, using the water station as a vacation within the race. They stop short - just like the ones at the end of the race.
And we have way more people to bump in to and be bumped by - not that that's a good thing :-)
ed
Post a Comment