Fifth Ave Smile
![]() |
| Bob C. |
My wave was going to start at 11:15, so I was able to have a relaxing morning before the race for a change. I really didn't know if I would be able to beat the old time of 6:10. Worries started to creep in - from an old calf injury acting up, to whether I ate too much the day before. Still, I felt like I was in pretty good shape, and that maybe I could go under 6 minutes. But I am eight years older and maybe I was pushing the limits of optimism to think that. So I really didn't know.
On Sunday I got up at a leisurely time, and I headed out and started to walk up to Fifth Avenue.
I ran into a few friends and Flyers near the start, and watched as their waves left. About a half hour before my wave was to begin I started warming up. Fifth Avenue was closed for the race from a few block north of the start so we had lots of room to run around.
At 11 it was time for me to line up. My wave wasn't very big, and it included both men and women from 50 to 59 years old. I guess I should have lined up before 11, since I was buried about half way into the pack. The start line was on the right hand side of Fifth Avenue, and I was able to get all the way to the left side, which I figured would give me some passing room, as the course opened up to the full width of the avenue pretty quickly.
![]() |
| Running the 5th Ave. Mile! |
![]() |
| Shannon Rowbury (4:23.3) & Andy Baddeley (3:51.8) won the 5th Ave Mile |
After the 3/4 mile mark my chest was aching! In fact it ached all the way down to my elbows, I felt like my chest was going to explode! I was thinking that this can't be good, but I kept running. I would speed up to the point of suffocation, then back off a bit. I felt like I was running so slowly. People were getting further and further in front of me. I remembered the race eight years ago very differently - I remember being surprised how few people there were in front of me. Not this time!
Finally I got to the point where I could see the finish line and read the clock. 5:50. I had less than 20 seconds to get to the finish line to beat my old time! I kept alternating between "I can do this", and "no I can't", and I would speed up with the enthusiasm and slow down, discouraged, accordingly. The time was slipping by quickly and I wasn't at the finish line. With only a few yards to go I saw the 6:10 come and go. Rats! I kept going trying to limit my damages and crossed at 6:13.
I was disappointed not to beat my old time, but still pretty happy that I was so close. It took a long time to catch my breath and I was coughing the whole rest of the day. My chest still hurt hours later! I talked to a few friends at the finish line and then headed home.
When the official results were posted later in the day, my actual net time was 6:07! I didn't think that it took me so long to cross the start line, but apparently it did, and I had beaten my old time by three seconds! That's my first PR in years!
I was 15th in my age group. My fastest pace over the mile was 4:48 right at the beginning - I guess I still went out too hard. At my slowest I ran a 7:01 pace, and crossed the finish line at about a 5:45 pace. My heart rate average was 176 with a maximum of 198 right at the end! Probably way more information than you wanted to know but I find it all very interesting!
It was a race I could be happy with. Congrats to everybody who ran! - Bob C.
![]() |
| Famous Fifth Avenue! |




2 comments:
Wow -- what an inspiration! That must be an especially rewarding PR!
Fantastic! It's so rewarding achieving new goals, congrats!
Post a Comment