Monday, October 15, 2012

New Flyer Profile: Catie B


Catie B
Hi! My name is Catie. I’m originally from Beaverton, Oregon and moved to the east coast in 2005 to attend Marist College, in Poughkeepsie, New York. I had never been interested in running; most of my life I danced and throughout high school I was on a competitive dance team. 

In 2010 I started a new job in the City and that is when the running bug got me. My boss runs everyday and talks about track and field all the time. 

Then two friends of mine ran the 2010 Portland Marathon and I decided that if they could run a marathon I could, too. So I signed up and a little less than a year later I ran the 2011 Portland Marathon!

Another reason I started running is that New York City is such a runner-friendly city – I feel like everyone runs! And Central Park is great for long runs and people watching!

Right now I am training for the New York City Marathon and then I’ll be running the Eugene Marathon at the end of April. After that I think I might take a break from marathons for a while and do a bunch of half marathons. But you never know!

I also love taking Pure Barre classes. I’m a pretty horrible cook – but trying to get better and I love chocolate.

WHY I JOINED THE FLYERS

I joined the Flyers back in May, right before the NYRR Mini 10K, which was my first race as a Flyer! I had wanted to join a running club for a long time but didn’t know which club to join. Some clubs seemed too intense and others didn’t have the best web site so I held off joining until I really knew which club would fit me as a runner. And I definitely made the right choice! 

From day one as a Flyer I have felt welcomed. Everyone I have met has been so friendly. I don’t think there is a better group out there! And I love that there is something for everyone. Training groups, speed sessions, pace leading (one of my favorites) and after race get-togethers.

Pace Leading with the 8:30 min/mi Group
WHY I RUN

Today I run to stay in shape and stay stress free. If you asked me three years ago if I would ever run a marathon I would have said NO WAY! I used to hate running. One mile was so hard! Then, like I said earlier, two friends of mine ran a marathon and I couldn’t be left out! (I’m an only child…)

I really had no idea what I was in for when I signed up. Training was hard and at times I didn’t know if I could do it.

But I did! That’s the best part. Seeing how far you’ve come. And now I’m about to run New York! And you know what’s really awesome?? Seeing how much I’ve improved! That’s another thing I love about running – seeing improvement. Getting stronger and faster. I don’t really compete with other people, I compete against myself and my past race times. When I run it’s my time – to think and decompress. And endorphins are pretty awesome too.

-Catie B

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP