Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Flyer Linda Chan

Linda C
I am a little over one year short of being a born and bred New Yorker and Brooklynite.  At the tender age of 13 months old, I emigrated from Hong Kong to the United States.  For me, there is no other place like New York City.  I recognize that I am very much one of “those” New Yorkers who don’t really think anyone else is a New Yorker unless they grew up here or at least have been here for 25+ consecutive years.  

My mom will tell you that I was an early walker and that I was a speedy toddler running everywhere.  Well, beyond my formative years, my running stalled.  I was educated through the New York City public school system and while we had gym every day in school, I don’t remember ever having run a mile at any time while I was in school.  Running was always doled out as a chore or a punishment in gym class.  At some point in my adulthood, I started tuning into television coverage of the NYC Marathon. I ran a race here and there in my early 30’s, but really with no running at any other time.

In 2009, I ran the NYC Half Marathon.  I have no recollection as to what possessed me to register for the race (it was the last NYC Half that was held in the summer and the last one for which there was no lottery for entry).  Before race day, the longest distance I had run was about 7 miles a couple of weeks earlier as part of my “training” – I had actually planned a 6 mile run, but missed my exit in Central Park and ended up running an extra mile.  I may have run two other times in the weeks preceding that, probably no more than 4 miles each of those two times.

Am I naturally talented and required little to no training to run my first half-marathon? No.  I was just determined.  I enjoyed the race, but it was a long slow race for me.  Running down the West Side Highway, I turned back more than a few times to see if the “sweep” bus was coming behind me.  Only when I saw groups of runners still behind me was I reassured that I would not be picked up by the bus (maybe it’s a car, I’ve never seen it and hope I never do).  I finished the race and started having thoughts about running the NYC marathon. 
NYC Half 2009

Me and Meb!
I was on Central Park South when Meb Keflezighi came in to win the 2009 ING NYC Marathon, ending a long drought of Americans winner of the marathon.  That day I fell in love (or was it just a crush?) with the NYC Marathon (and Meb).  I signed up for the lottery for entry to the 2010 NYC Marathon and started looking into what was required to actually train to run a marathon.  I didn’t know much about running, but I knew enough to know that I needed to train to run and finish the marathon.  Luckily, I did not win the lottery.  Instead, I got an extra year to wrap my head around running the marathon and completing the 9+1 requirements.  In the extra year I had to train for my first marathon, I took some NYRR running classes and ran the nine qualifying races for guaranteed entry.  

Sometime in 2011, I started to think of running clubs, but I did not join any clubs.  I did start to “stalk” the Flyers’ Facebook page and what I found were runners who supported one another and who were active in the community.  While I found the Flyers to be much to my liking it still took me a while to join.  I admit it, I may be commitment phobic – I don’t even belong to a political party and I’ve been voting a lot longer than I’ve been running. 

I’m happy to be a Flyer and hope to become more involved with the club socially and as a runner representing the club.  I hope to run more regularly and learn from my fellow club members. I was registered to run the 2012 NYCM, and didn’t get out to run a substitute marathon.  The next big races that I have scheduled are the NYC Half and the Puerto Rico Marathon.

I live in South Brooklyn, but spend almost all my waking hours in Manhattan.  Other than running, I enjoy knitting and karaoke!  Anyone up for a tune or two?  Perhaps a Flyers karaoke outing?  It’s been a while and I need a fix – I’ve been singing (off key) in the street!  Oh, and if you want to learn to knit, I’m willing to give lessons. 

Thanks for having me.  If you see me in Central Park, give me a holler. 

-Linda C

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP