Saturday, January 26, 2013

New Flyer Profile -- Fran B

Fran B
I started running about seven years ago when I was 65 and recently retired from public school teaching in Lawrence, Kansas, because my daughter asked me to join her as she did a half marathon -- so I did a 5k and won in my age group.  Although my husband Dan and I have been in New York since 2007, I am still an avid University of Kansas Jayhawk.  



I began running with NYRR when I came in to visit our son and his family in about 2005.  Since I was born and raised in Brooklyn, coming back to NYC was coming home after 30 years of being away while my husband taught at the University of Kansas.

In Kansas I joined the"Mad Dogs" -- a running group that met under the "noon day sun"  made up of faculty and staff and their families.  When Lawrence developed its own community running group called "Run Lawrence," I joined that as well. I hold several state records for my gender/age group in Kansas that are still unmatched.

I run numerous NYRR races every year, but I enjoy running with the Flyers on Saturdays best of all.

Here in New York I have run as an adjunct Flyer with the 6am and 7am Flyers running groups that meet on the UWS at W.72nd and CPW.  Recently, I finally decided to be "honest" and actually join the Flyers.  I have never met such a nice group of people.

I also take classes at the Westside YMCA to keep fit.

I've included my picture in this blog post that shows me ready to run the 2009 NYC Marathon -- I finished in less than 5 hours at age 69!

-Fran B

Blogmaster's Note:  Fran is one of four NY Flyers nominated by NY Road Runners for a distinguished age group award (along with Pat D and Shevaun T, and 14-yr-old Lauren P in their respective age groups), with the recipients to receive their awards at NYRR Club Night on Thursday, March 7th.

1 comments:

Anonymous,  January 29, 2013 at 2:47 PM  

Thrilled to have Fran join the Senior Vets team! She is an amazing runner.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP