Tuesday, May 21, 2013

A Hot Time in Puerto Rico

Linda C
On November 1, 2012, before the NYCM was cancelled, I happened upon a booth at the NYCM expo for the Puerto Rico Marathon and Half-Marathon. The inaugural running in San Juan was set for May 5, 2013.  I don't remember it being particularly cold that week, but running a marathon in sunny warm Puerto Rico sounded like fun.  I took the postcard with the discount code and weeks later registered to run the Puerto Rico Marathon, later switching to run the half-marathon (Flyer Louie R also was in Puerto Rico and ran the full marathon). With that, at 4:22AM on May 5th, I found myself on a bus going from the Caribe Hilton Hotel in San Juan, Puerto Rico heading to the start of the race near the Puerto Rico Convention Center.

A Pitch Dark Start
The race was scheduled to start at 5AM.  It was pitch dark out and already 79 degrees. With beads of perspiration forming on my pale NYC winter skin, I began to realize that I may have just underestimated exactly how warm it would feel going from temperatures hovering in the 40's to temperatures in the 80's with high humidity. Nevertheless, I was out to enjoy the race.  According to the race results, there were 1,321 runners (300 marathoners and 1021 half-marathoners).   


One week earlier I ran NYRR's Run As One – a 4-mile race that had 6,998 finishers.  This was quite a different race. Marathoners and half-marathoners had the same start and the same start corrals. Corrals were set by projected race pace and based on the honor system with the fastest corral set at 6:00 min/mile and faster, and the slowest corral at 12:30+ min/mile. Some announcements were made and a moment of silence was taken for the victims of the Boston Marathon bombings (or at least I think that's what the moment of silence was for as the announcement regarding it was made in Spanish), a musical recording of the Puerto Rico and U.S. national anthems were played, the start horn sounded and we were off.

We were in pre-dawn darkness for the first few miles of the race.  My thoughts ranged from telling myself to keep an even pace so as not to burn out in the heat to telling myself to run a bit faster to keep up with the group because I didn't know where the heck I was running and it was dark 
 there were street lights, but the streets of San Juan are certainly not as well lit as the streets of NYC. We rounded a corner and suddenly the shore was to our left and the sun was rising. It was breathtaking. Running alongside this beautiful view was easy. It was still very warm, but I began to think that just maybe I could finish this race with a pretty good time; at least beat my time from the frigid Manhattan Half. But then the sun came out.

Sun Rises Over the Course
With the sun rising, we were back inland.  Saturday night revelers were still in bars along the course, but came out to cheer us on. There weren't many spectators along the course, but the few people we passed cheered us on heartily, whether they were intentional spectators, on their way to their Sunday chores, or extending their Saturday partying. We ran through the city and the sun continued to rise higher in the sky. My sunglasses went from the top of my head to firmly on my face and as the race progressed I tucked my visor a little bit lower. This was by no means a hilly course and several times after dousing my head with some iced water at the fluid stations, I'd attempt to push my pace. But it was a struggle and I would soon revert to just plodding along to the finish.





There were fluid stations every 1 to 2 miles and Gatorade gels available at several of the fluid stations.  While the course information promised three porta-potties at each aid station, I spotted only one port-potty at one of the aid stations on the course. The marathoners and half-marathoners share the course for the first 4.75 miles or so before separating. The marathon course then rejoins the half-marathon course within about 4 miles of the finish. At about this point in the race for me, the marathon pace car passed me and the would-be marathon winner ran quickly by seemingly unfazed by the heat (he is a resident of Bayamon, Puerto Rico and finished in 2:43:35).


The sun was unrelenting and when the course brought us once again within view of the shore, there was still no relief from the heat.  With the waves crashing below, one would think that there would be a sea breeze, but there was none. With not many miles left to go and running through a more affluent neighborhood in San Juan with glimpses of the shore, the heat was bearable. While I was running I didn't feel that I was slowing down, but my Garmin told me otherwise.  I still overcame some of the runners that were consistently in front of me throughout the race. The finish was in full sun and heat, but it was glorious! It was the finish. My sister was at the finish line cheering me on and was even able to take a video of me coming in to the finish.
A Glorious Finish!
The post-race amenities included sports massages (not my thing), Gatorade, water, bananas (raw green bananas that I did not take), and, oddly, packages of sweet honey buns and bottles of Pepsi! I finished with my slowest half-marathon time, but I enjoyed the race. What made the race experience even better was walking back to the hotel and recovering in the hotel pool and the private hotel beach. My legs never felt better.  I would run this race again and next time I'll be ready for the heat. Plus, one lesson I learned from running this race  remove the KT tape from my leg BEFORE spending the afternoon recovering in the sun.

-Linda C

P.S.  There was a peacock and swans on the hotel grounds!

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP