Friday, May 3, 2013

New Flyer Profile: Francesco P

Francesco P
New York is what got me into running. Growing up in my hometown, Florence, for kids of my generation it was all about soccer and volleyball year round, with skiing in the winter and tennis in the summer. Running wasn't anywhere in the picture. And it stayed that way for a very long time.

I remember end-October 1989, when I first moved to New York with my wife to start a new job. It was just days before the New York City Marathon. When my travel agent warned me I would have a hard time finding a hotel room. I had no idea what she was talking about.

Fast forward to 2005. I am in New York again, this time with my two kids, after a few years spent in Paris and in Brussels. The running craze has taken over the city. I go to parties, chat with people, and the topic keeps coming back: everybody just seems to love running, and the marathon is the big thing. One day that year, I plucked up my courage and signed up for the lottery. I am among thousands, but I win my spot. I run the New York City Marathon. Such an extraordinary experience! The following year, I win the lottery again. And in 2007 I am already running my first Boston. From there on, I never stopped and running has become part of my life.

2010 NYC Marathon  6th of my 7th NYC Marathons
Just off the Queensboro Bridge 
Of course, many things have changed since those early years. Joining my first club was a major turning point. It happened in 2008, after I went back to Brussels from New York. What a difference it made to be able to do my speed work with other runners  and make new wonderful friends in the process. Back again to New York in 2011 (yes, I do have a soft spot for New York!), a whole year of running solo in Central Park went by, before I made up my mind about joining a new club in New York. 

Then, right in the middle of my summer vacation in Italy, I learned from my good friend and Flyer Nikhil H about a 20-mile run with the Flyers called the Palisades Long Run. Hey, Flyers, what a great seller you have there! Within minutes, I joined the club. And what a club it is! Another good friend, Flyer Sungwon H, chaperoned me in my first steps with the Flyers and introduced me to many great people. Thanks to her, I discovered the Flyer 6:00 am groups led with great enthusiasm and commitment by Francine A (Tues, Thurs) and Louise C (Weds).  I honestly do not think I could have found a nicer group of runners in New York.

Thousands of miles and a few injuries after I started running, in 2012 I broke 3 hours in Chicago at the age of 50. A long-time goal had finally been achieved. Time to call it a day? I don’t think so. My next marathon was New York 2012. We all know how that went with Hurricane Sandy. And then there was Boston. There are no words to express how we all felt that day. I like to go back to those brief moments of joy after crossing the finish line, and not think for a moment about the tragic events that followed not even two hours later.


Happy, But Not For Long
Before Tragedy Struck - in Boston
We runners know that running is intrinsically selfish. For this reason, we also know how essential it is to give back. Every year there is one marathon that I run for a cause close to my heart. I have done five marathon fundraisers, and four of them in New York. It’s been the opportunity to get to know fabulous charity organizations, like Shoe4Africa (thank you Flyer Toby T, Founder and CEO of the organization) and the Robin Hood foundation. 

One year I set up my own team, after a heart-breaking visit to Braille Without Borders, an amazing project in Lhasa dedicated to the rescue of blind children from a life of misery and illiteracy in the most remote areas of Tibet.  This has been my most successful fund-raising campaign so far, and I am very proud of the response I got from friends, colleagues and fellow runners.

Happy to be part of the Flyers’ community!

Francesco P.

3 comments:

Nik May 3, 2013 at 9:27 AM  

A great story and so terrific that you are enjoying the Flyers!

Alan G.,  May 3, 2013 at 10:29 AM  

Buongiorno Francesco,

Grazie mille, mi fratello, for sharing an extraordinary (and well-traveled) journey into running...the Flyers are lucky to have you onboard as a teammate...may I say that you fit the Flyer ethic as well as that new Flyer singlet fits on you!

Ciao,

Alan

Unknown May 6, 2013 at 9:54 AM  

Wonderful story. So great to see that the NY Flyers are such a perfect fit. You know I am attracted to the idea of joining but still have to get round to seeing the benefit of waking up at 0600. One day perhaps...

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP