Boston and the Human Spirit
![]() |
| Alan G |
Flyers singlet for B.A.A. 5K, check. Flyers tee for Boston Marathon, check. Kinvara’s, check. B.A.A. 5K number pick-up card, check. Clif Gel shots, check. Inhaler in case Mike’s dogs spark my allergies, check. Keys, check. Cellphone and charger, check.
Oh, yeah, deodorant…check.
![]() |
| Stephanie P |
We got to Penn Station in plenty of time for our 9 a.m.
train ride. A little tired, but excited,
for sure. This was Steph’s second go
round in Boston
after last year’s tropical weather overheated the course. We were to stay with my best friend, brother
from another mother, high school buddy and college roomie, Mike and his family
in Newton Centre on Saturday night and move to the Park Plaza
for Sunday. We were looking forward to a
pasta dinner with our Flyers mates on Sunday in the North End as orchestrated
by Dave K, who also was All in for Boston, the excitement of the Flyers Cheering Station, and the planned post race activities (click here to see what was planned) .
Off to the Expo and on the the 5K
After arriving in Boston, we went to the Expo at the Hynes Convention Center and I loved the black-with-yellow Adidas tech tee for the 5K that I was to run the next day…finally a garment I am
allowed to wear that says BAA on it!!!
The Expo was cool.
Didn’t hit the whole thing, but was psyched to find a pair of new
Saucony Vittara’s. Steph picked up some gear and friend Janis thought
the white Adidas jacket was fashionable, so she scored one. 117 years of Marathon races on the streets of Beantown. That is pretty amazing.
Sunday morning, was up early and primed for the 5K. Got dressed with my Flyers singlet over the
BAA 5K tee (it was chilly). Mike drove
us all downtown, we found a parking lot and then they went off to spectate and
I went off to wait for the start. I
looked for Lara but could not find her.
Spoke to a nice mom of three kids from New Hampshire
who was running the 5K and the Marathon after
coming off metatarsal stress fractures.
A brave person, for sure. And
then, a young mom from Morristown ,
NJ whose husband was running the
‘thon the next day. It was a crisp,
bright morning and downtown Boston
looked and sounded inviting for a little race.
Soon enough, the gun sounded and we were off.
![]() |
| Chilly Day at B.A.A. 5K |
I focused on my mantra when I am not feeling great, which
is “just push the ground back, push it back” and tried to keep a solid core and
mid-foot plant going. Saw Steph, Mike
and Janis mid-race and then, on the back end, saw and heard Dave K and Glen W
cheering me on. That gave me a boost and
I tried to lean in and accelerate a bit.
There was a downhill through a tunnel, followed by an uphill and then
back, followed by a right turn and a left to the finish, which I didn’t check
at the time, but occurs to me was probably the famous right on Hereford and
left on Boylston.
And then, there it was
looming ahead, that big, beautiful, blue and yellow finish line with its arches
and photographers’ perch. The clock said
23:50 when I looked at it shortly after finishing. I knew it was congested at the start, but
thought I’d run about a 23:30…not too shabby, but not where I want to be. Later, I found out that my official time was
22:09 and I was elated. It’s been a long
while coming back from a bad bike fall in March ’12 and the injury. Closing in on sub-7 again felt good. Most of all though, it felt good to be in Boston on Marathon
weekend. The vibe was awesome. The streets were full of life and
camaraderie. People were cheering,
runners were congratulating each other.
I even took a finish line photo with three Central Park Track guys and an
NBR gal. Later, when I could not find
Steph, Mike and Janis, I asked some folks if I could borrow a cell phone to
make a call. Lo and behold, I’d found three Front Runners in town from NYC. It is,
indeed, a small world.
We all reconnoitered (love that word!) and got a bite to
eat at Joe’s American, on Newbury
Street . Brunch was delish and we
got to watch the invitational races for a while as the 400 meter mark was right
outside where we were sitting. That was
fun. Again, it added to the amazing vibe
that was enveloping downtown Boston
on this special weekend. Little did I
know that I’d be walking past this very same spot on Newbury a day later
feeling completely differently.
Flyers Pre-Race Pasta Dinner
Flyers Pre-Race Pasta Dinner
After the race, my friend Mike drove us to the Park Plaza Hotel and we went our way to check in and settle down until it was time to head to
the pasta dinner. We took a walk for a
little bit around the neighborhood to pick up some last minute items, then
rested until we set out for the North End.
It was a green line train to an orange line to our stop and then a relatively
short walk into the old Italian neighborhood where the restaurant, Al Dente,
was located. And there we found a nice
slice of our Flyer family, figuratively and literally. Richard G was there with a slew of family
members. Elizel A appeared with her entourage in tow. Those two groups were so
large that each commandeered their own tables.
Our table had a nice mix of veteran and newer Flyers –– Dave K (great job organizing the dinner), Colleen R,
Lara K, Glen W and his friend Drew, Frieda E and her friend Vicky, Suzana P, Stephanie P and myself (I really hope I didn’t miss anyone!!!). Al Dente is a cozy, family style place.
The food hit the spot, the company was
terrific and everyone who needed to get carb-loaded did so. Then, just to be sure, some of us went to a bakery
down the block that Dave recommended (you really need to publish a guide, DK). Steph picked up a bunch of cookies for
post-race, I got a “lobster tail” (flaky dough filled with ricotta, shaped
like, well, a lobster tail) and a loaf of truly delicious raisin bread. And then it was back to the hotels for
everyone to get a good night’s sleep.
Sunday night was calm and quiet.
Alarm set for 5:00 a.m to make sure Steph caught her bus. Cleared the desk in the room and set her
stuff up for easy access in the a.m.
Then it was snooze-ville.
Thankfully, the hotel was quiet.
| A Table of Flyers at Al Dente for Pre-Race Carbs |
Race Day!
Monday morning, Steph was up and ready to go. After seeing her off, the 5K runner had the
luxury of a few extra zzzs and took them, intermittently. I was excited to be a part of the Grand Daddy
of all marathons, looking forward to getting to the Flyer table and finding Mr. Reliable Ed A who has spearheaded the Flyers cheering section/aid station at Boston every year since 1996, Lara K and Lloyd H and other ‘mates, like Siggy T and Kenny H who, in keeping with
their tradition, were turning it into a day trip, and Sondra M and Jennifer B, who were
coming up to cheer and then run with Steph for a few miles, too. I was psyched to see the elites and my Flyer
‘mates run and cheer them on and to join Steph from mile 17.3 to the finish
line.
![]() |
| Ed A and Lara K at Flyers Aid Station |
I broke into a run and hurried to the Flyers table and got
there about a minute ahead of the lead vehicle.
These incredible women came flying through at warp speed and were
gone. The weather was ideal and they
were having a fine day at the races. CLICK HERE for the impressive race times of our Flyer marathon runners in Boston.
As time passed, more and more runners came through. I missed Francesco P racing by, probably because he was a blur. Yet, I recall seeing Colleen R running with what looked like great ease (she finished only 21 seconds behind Francesco!) although I know she was working hard. Glen W had the biggest smile I’ve ever seen on his face. Paulie N came racing by not long after (I think all three of them were at about a 7:14 pace then). I remember Dave K coming through with a big grin, sweating a lot, but looking totally comfortable. Dana M wore a smile sprinkled with determination, Jennifer C gave a grin and a wave to the table, and Suzana P stood above the crowd as she buzzed by.
Iris C had a smile on her face, Reyna F bounded by grinning and waving to everyone, and Brian H...what can one say about Brian…the dude’s smile is electric, he runs effortlessly…it should piss me off how easy he makes it look…but, he is just inspiring…and, in Boston 2013, this guy stopped at the Flyer table and Ed made him the largest ham and cheese sandwich, which Brian then took with him on his way, munching, running and somehow smiling…well done, Brian! Did I mention that Brian ran the course twice?! No joke!! He actually ran to the start at Hopkinton, heading out at about 5 AM, and then ran the race back to the finish line in Boston!!!
As time passed, more and more runners came through. I missed Francesco P racing by, probably because he was a blur. Yet, I recall seeing Colleen R running with what looked like great ease (she finished only 21 seconds behind Francesco!) although I know she was working hard. Glen W had the biggest smile I’ve ever seen on his face. Paulie N came racing by not long after (I think all three of them were at about a 7:14 pace then). I remember Dave K coming through with a big grin, sweating a lot, but looking totally comfortable. Dana M wore a smile sprinkled with determination, Jennifer C gave a grin and a wave to the table, and Suzana P stood above the crowd as she buzzed by.
Iris C had a smile on her face, Reyna F bounded by grinning and waving to everyone, and Brian H...what can one say about Brian…the dude’s smile is electric, he runs effortlessly…it should piss me off how easy he makes it look…but, he is just inspiring…and, in Boston 2013, this guy stopped at the Flyer table and Ed made him the largest ham and cheese sandwich, which Brian then took with him on his way, munching, running and somehow smiling…well done, Brian! Did I mention that Brian ran the course twice?! No joke!! He actually ran to the start at Hopkinton, heading out at about 5 AM, and then ran the race back to the finish line in Boston!!!
![]() |
| Flyer Brian H Running in Support of Alzheimer's Association |
![]() |
| Elizel A with her iPhone |
It is an amazing course.
As it winds through the neighboring suburbs of Boston, the streets are full of life. Bostonians know how to spectate at a
marathon. They cheer and cajole the
runners along. There are countless
unofficial water stations and fruit hand-outs.
The Boston College kids rocked the New
England casbah, for sure!
The race got me hook, line and sinker.
I wondered to myself how I would qualify for it knowing that I must run
this course, through these neighborhoods, amongst these people, with these
people. To start with Stephanie in
Hopkinton, not at mile 17.
At mile 25, she looked at her
watch and told me she had to, and was going to, beat her heat-infected time from
last year. I was just there for support
and let her set the pace. And I could
feel her digging deep and pushing the speedometer up a couple of notches.
And Then It Happened....
![]() |
| Stephanie P and Alan G |
We went down through the short tunnel, up the small hill
and made the right onto Hereford . All Steph had left was the roughly ¼ mile up
the hill to the left onto Boylston and then about 3/8 of a mile to that finish
line that Lara, Julie C, Jodi D, me and thousands of others had warmed up for the marathoners the day
before during the 5K. She looked at her watch and said
to me, “I got this” and I said, “you’re darned right you do.” Then, about half way up that hill on Hereford , there was a
loud concussive blast. Shortly
thereafter, there was another. Heads
turned, confusion started…Steph asked, “What was that?” I said that I did not know, perhaps it was an
electrical transformer that blew. I thought
maybe it was some kind of celebratory cannon shot for Patriot’s Day because it
sounded like, well, a very loud cannon.
We summited Hereford
at Boylston and turned left and slowed to a stop. Huge confusion and some fear mounted. Smoke was wafting across the finish line from
the sidewalk near the Marathon Sports store and the candy shop. Boston
cops jumped into the roadway, hands up to bring runners to a halt. Some wanted to continue running because they
either were focused only on finishing or were very confused. The police pulled barriers across Boylston to
stop the runners. I held onto Steph, who
was, naturally, very upset that something, someone, had attacked this race,
attacked our sport, attacked innocent people.
Another woman, grabbed me and clung to my right side, crying, wondering
where her son was, if he was safe; he was to meet her at the finish line. I tried to put her at ease while having
no idea of what was the real answer to her fear. I hope that he was ok. She soon went to find a cop.
I and a few others turned to help the police stop the
runners coming up Hereford Street
as they did not know what had happened down Boylston at Boston ’s fabled finish line. Amazingly, people held together and worked
together. The police were
outstanding. Commendation medals to all
of them. The BAA volunteers were
outstanding. Public service awards to
all of them. The spectators were
outstanding, handing cell phones over the barriers to runners to locate their
family and friends. Civic awards to all
of them. Later, I saw some medics at
work on people on Newbury who had apparently made it around the corner before
collapsing. Commendation medals to all
of them, too, as well as tp the medical staff who ramped up a MASH Unit in the
marathon medical tent. Expecting to
treat dehydration and exhaustion, they got dismemberment and disfigurement and
death. Unreal. Unbelievable.
Unthinkable.
The Aftermath
Fast forward. Two
young men, who I am unable to define, attacked Boston , attacked a marathon, attacked innocent
bystanders, attacked our way of life, attacked the human spirit. One can call them terrorists and they indeed
caused great terror. I am more inclined
to call them the world’s biggest losers.
They wreaked havoc, created death and destruction to no meaningful
end. One is dead and the other is
effectively dead. The anger welled up in
me pretty quickly.
I was on the train with Steph, Lara, Kenny, Siggy, Freida,
Vicky, Sondra and Jen (and many others heading home). There was all kinds of chat and speculation
amongst the shock and fatigue of the day.
The race will never be the same came up.
I thought, bullshit. It will be
back and better than ever before. I
decided to turn the anger into action.
Unity Run NYC –– A Boston Tribute
Unity Run NYC –– A Boston Tribute
How? A Boston Tribute Run. I got the word up and out and it grew. And, I am no rocket scientist…I was not the
only one. In the long run, no pun
intended, there were numerous Boston
tribute runs. I was lucky enough to have
a great teammate, Karin A, a former Pasadena Pacer, who put me in touch with
the VP of her old team. He had come up
with a Unity Run concept and asked me to make our run Unity Run New York. Done.
Brilliant.
I’ve said this a few times now…if some idiot wants to
attack the human spirit, it is really not a good idea to start with marathoners
and their spectators. We run for hours
and they stand out there for hours. And
we run as one, now more than ever.
Let’s keep it moving forward, my brothers and
sisters. Running as one. Boston
Strong. New York Strong. World Strong.
One love in peace….
You guys and gals are the best…you humble me in many ways.
Your prez,
Alan G










2 comments:
Thanks, Alan G, for writing your beautiful Boston story.
For days, I have been struggling to write mine. It was meant to be a story about the ultimate marathon: amazing vibe, wonderful company, perfect weather, strong finish, fastest Boston time.
And then, not even two hours after getting a medal around my neck, all celebrations come to a sudden stop. I am at the airport on my way back to La Guardia, when Flyer journalist Nikhil H texts me from New York: there has just been an explosion in Copley Square. The first reaction is disbelief. As I begin to absorb the horror, I call my family in New York: I am safe. I hope all my fellow runners are safe too. I pass security and people around me spot me as a marathoner and congratulate me. Most are clearly still unaware of what has just happened. It seems so surreal. The TV screens at the airport are showing dramatic images. And the gate agent cheerfully announces that marathon runners have priority boarding the plane. I cannot think about the marathon any more. I am just full of sadness.
The days that follow, we are all distressed and overwhelmed by emotions.
The horror is still with us, it will be with us forever. Everything has changed. Yet, nothing will change. We will refuse to stop. We will give back to Boston. We will support the city.
I will be in Boston in 2014, to run.
Francesco P
Thank you Alan & Flyers for the unforgettable day with you in memory of loved ones killed in boston. I always Boston and NY in my heart....thank you,thank you,thank you
Post a Comment