Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Support For Boston -- We Wear Race Shirts

Kathy K
Rather than using words, Flyer Kathy K took it upon herself to create a pictorial tribute to the Boston Marathon.  

And rather than using more words in this Flyers Blog post, instead I'll provide you the link to view what she's posted on her own blog.

Please click here.

Blogmaster's Note: Flyers please feel free to share your own Boston thoughts and/or experiences within the comments section, below.  Whether you ran Boston, spectated, or otherwise have something you'd like to say.  To comment, if you don't have a gmail account you can just sign in as annonymous and if you want us to know who you are make sure to note your name at the end of your comment.  -Dave K

1 comments:

Anonymous,  April 17, 2013 at 10:53 AM  

A Flyer wrote to me: "someone might write about how runner's happiness was stolen from them. How they can't sit around a bar telling war stories. how they would feel too selfish if they did, but mad that they can't. people who ran yesterday don't think they are allowed to feel any pleasure in their run or performance." So I'll write a bit about my own Boston experience.

The weather was wonderful and I was excited to run the race. On the bus to the start, I met new Flyer Lizzy D, and we decided to try to run together at least for a little while, although we lost each other at the bathroom right before the start (did she climb out a window like on a bad blind date? - ha! :))

About 8 miles into the race, Bill H caught up to me. Bill is pretty much the nicest guy on the planet so I picked up the pace and enjoyed running with him all the way to the first Newton Hill as I got into a great rhythm and the time flew happily by even as my calves tightened and my quads started to become sore. I nearly ran right past the Flyer cheering station at the firehouse turn-off despite knowing it was coming up. I'd even gotten a shout-out from Kenny H about 1/4 mile before where the Flyers congregated. I was eagerly looking forward to spotting the Flyers for the past couple of miles, especially because I knew that Lara K would be there to help pace me up the Newton Hills that were directly ahead.

Lara was full of energy (as was Bill who glided up the hills and was quickly out of sight!) and her singing and dancing to the roadside music gave me a big boost. After the hills, I was able to keep a strong and steady pace and finished with my fastest Boston Marathon time in 5 tries. And right behind me, there was my new Flyer friend Lizzy D. We finished just one second apart net time (she started a corral behind me) as if we'd run the entire race together! And we chatted happily and talked about my getting to meet her friend who she'd told me about earlier.

I went back to my hotel, took a shower, and saw a text from Colleen R about a bomb threat, and a text from Shira Z that there were two finish line explosions. I turned on the news and didn't leave my room until the next morning when I took the train home. I didn't even eat as I just didn't feel hungry. I drank a couple bottles of Ensure and a big bottle of coconut water as I called my family so they wouldn't worry. I stayed on the Internet as Flyers worked to make sure everyone in Boston was accounted for and safe. I didn't wear my medal. It felt wrong to wear my 2013 Boston Marathon gear the next day because I felt I shouldn't call attention to myself since the marathon was no longer about the runners, I thought. I didn't get to hear about everyone's races. I didn't get to hear about the fun at the Flyers Cheering Zone near the fire station. I don't even know if there were Flyers I didn't know about who came up to Boston to cheer. I didn't get to celebrate with Flyers as I'd looked forward to doing. I do know that a few Flyers had very close calls, crossing the finish line within moments after the bombs exploded. And I know that there was much love and concern expressed by so many Flyers to and for each other. Thank you Flyers.

-Dave K

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP