Vive la Revolution
![]() |
| Scott C |
We spin for a variety of reasons ranging from the obvious––that it’s a fun intense activity–– to the perhaps not so obvious as it can:
- Torch 500-700 calories an hour
- Compete with a speed work session in terms of maximum heart rate, sweat factor and a great group dynamic, and
- As a non-impact, or more accurately a non-weight bearing activity, be done by many on a daily basis year round.
I want to go deeper here, I want to try and bring the uninitiated into the world of spinning both from a class participant's perspective and from the perspective of a teacher, a class leader whose bike sits on a platform and who can address, motivate or sometimes even alienate a room full of 20-40 eager cyclists ready to rip up their bodies, drench their clothes, and exit that spin room feeling totally spent.
As a running and multi-sport coach, I integrate specificity into each athletes scheduling model. Specificity often takes on various components such as implementing a pattern of
intervals segments that differ based on distance goals. The training approach will include a progression in tempo
and hill repeats using pacing ranges that allow an athlete to explore a greater
depth or be more “in touch” with their leg turnover and pacing range. Focus also is placed on developing and enhancing their conditioning to enable each athlete to achieve a better overall understanding of
their mechanics.
As a “middle aged” athlete who some may have accused of being reckless with my body in the past as an arrogant Type
A overachiever, I have had to learn that as my body ages I need to work smarter. I now need to be open minded and patient. I need to work in greater specifics on
how I utilize my volume and where I want to maximize my energy in selected work
outs. And, I need to try and look at the bigger picture.
I’ve discussed the
above context with my athletes, and considered it for myself, as it can and does relate to the
activity known as spinning.
Spinning History
Spinning History
To offer a brief history, spinning was created by a man known as Johnny G more than two decades ago, and the first indoor “spin” class premiered in Venice, California
in 1992. Johnny created the weighted “flywheel” you see on all spin bikes as
well as the ability to allow a cyclist to add or to minimize their resistance
levels. Both the flywheel and the ability to progress, adapt to resistance
levels using cadence or RPM variations, which I will offer more explanation on, give each rider the feel of being on bicycle and simulating that sensation
within a class dynamic.
Add a strong motivating instructor and some great loud music
and you just might be hooked on this awesome work out!
How Can Spinning Help a Runner?
Spinning can help runners gain greater range of
motion, enhanced functional strength, improved heart rate, and the
ability to add at least one cross-training activity to increase
not just training volume and variations but also our athletic “shelf
lives.” In addition, spinning can help develop perhaps the most integral and important aspect that any
runner needs to take that next step in achieving more PR’s…..confidence!
From a class participant's perspective and from an individual
who teaches a 45-60 minute spin class, spinning should offer diversity, and that
diversity needs to begin with and include a 7-10 minute warm up period where
your objective is to relax your shoulders, put some flexion through your elbows
and begin developing a fairly high cadence by working with a resistance level
that should simulate riding a bicycle outside on a flat smooth road. Moving
past the warm-up and looking to increase our work load we will put ourselves
through segmental training that will involve high RPM intervals, tempo riding
and hills, hills, hills!
Cadence and RPM
Cadence and RPM
The terms cadence and RPM (revolutions per minute) are
interchangeable to both an indoor spinning participant and to an outdoor
cyclist. Both relate to the number of times our legs are turning the crank on
either a spin bike or a road, mountain, hybrid or triathlon bike.
To the recreational cyclist cadence might be 70 RPM on a flat road. To a more aggressive cyclist or “freaks of spin” it might mean 90-110 RPM, again on a flat road within a very manageable resistance spin range or rear gear range on an outdoor bicycle. Conversely when utilizing hills, either outdoors or on a spin bike, our cadence range will decrease in reflecting the difficulty or rate of perceived exertion. When spinning indoors, we use resistance to simulate a challenging gradient, or outside riders can find challenging gradients on paths such as Central Park's winding Northern Hill.
To the recreational cyclist cadence might be 70 RPM on a flat road. To a more aggressive cyclist or “freaks of spin” it might mean 90-110 RPM, again on a flat road within a very manageable resistance spin range or rear gear range on an outdoor bicycle. Conversely when utilizing hills, either outdoors or on a spin bike, our cadence range will decrease in reflecting the difficulty or rate of perceived exertion. When spinning indoors, we use resistance to simulate a challenging gradient, or outside riders can find challenging gradients on paths such as Central Park's winding Northern Hill.
While there are certain spin bikes that can measure our
cadence anyone can do this by counting within a 15 second range the number of
times your left or right knee or foot turns over, multiplying it by four to calculate the RPM whether on a flat road (high cadence) or on a fairly
challenging hill (lower cadence).
The relevance and subsequent benefit to both the cyclist and
the runner behind our change up in cadence directly relates to developing and
utilizing our range of motion and leg turn over thus increasing our leg
strength, utilizing changes in heart rate for interval, tempo and hill
segments.
Structure and Stimuli
Structure and Stimuli
The relevance and benefit to not just an older athlete but
any athlete steeped in one dimensional training is that it allows your body to develop, progress and adapt to different stimuli and
overload while gaining not just physically but psychologically as
well in getting enjoyment from a new found activity and quenching the urge to explore
your own limits from within. The physical “push me hard” and the
psychological “I feel drained” are two components that spinners seek and leave them wanting to keep coming back for more.
However, the two components have limited success unless the spin instructor leading his or her charges can provide the spinners with a structure, a menu based on working past the warm up and
getting everyone to be on the same page and to take them into the next stage. The structure might include, for example, working through higher RPMs, using limited time-based interval
drills, or maybe a blend of both endurance and functional strength using an
extended hill set that features both vertical and seated climbing over a length
of time––all based on changing gradients and resistance levels or categories.
A Spinner's Perspective
A Spinner's Perspective
No matter what type
of structure an instructor might bring, for many spinners often what's as or more important to the spinner might be how that instructor “bonds” with the class, how personal he or she
is, how well he or she takes command of the room, what type of music is played. Sometimes it’s just a
matter of an instructors style, your personal
taste or more precisely what works for me just may not work for you.
I genuinely love spinning and the rewards I get from it and
because of this I’ve been an instructor for 10 years now, I’ve taught at Crunch
Fitness, Reebok/Sports Club LA, the 92nd Street Y, and some other smaller private clubs. During this time I’ve learned a lot about people, about venues I’ve worked at
and while some might seem peculiar some have also been valuable (but I think
that might be left to perhaps a follow up piece I can call…..Confessions of a Spin Instructor!).
Some Qualities of a Good Spin Instructor
Some Qualities of a Good Spin Instructor
I will say though that one of the more important things any
instructor needs to do is ask and identify anyone in the class who is either new to spinning or isn’t seated correctly on their
spin bike. I make sure to do both as I think it’s important that someone new to
spinning understand the intensity behind it and use those first few classes to
ride properly and more conservatively and within an easy resistance range vs. too aggressively
so that they aren’t turned off by the experience. This helps a new spinner to give spinning the
chance it deserves, and if they aren't fit on their bikes
correctly they do not allow their knees to have a fair range of
motion, and they may also risk injury.
A good instructor will explain both proper form and why and
how he or she wants you to work through a ten minute blended interval segment.
A good instructor will encourage, never disparage and never put someone on the
spot or isolate them for doing something wrong. A good instructor will be firm
but fun. A good instructor will never go to anybody’s bike and turn up their
resistance but will rather explain that their cadence is too fast and
resistance is required to make the most out of their time.
Finally a good instructor will understand that everyone is
different and while one person might be there to leave a puddle of salty water under their bike, someone else may be there for a different reason that the instructor may or may not agree
with or relate with, but should respect, too.
Spinning is hot and I know some people who ride and take as many as 10 classes per week shuttling between Equinox, Flywheel or Soul Cycle where some instructors
are rock stars, have intense followings and are sometimes more important to the spinner than their therapist, hairdresser, or maybe even their boyfriend or girlfriend!
Spinning certainly has been a welcome cross training
activity for me as it’s allowed me to develop my leg turnover, increase my
strength, work hard during a triathlon off-season to prep for a new season, and to burn calories dressed in a triathlon kit sweating profusely indoors while it’s
freezing outdoors. And it's great to get paid to be the instructor to make my spinners work hard while I get my work out in as well.
![]() |
| Scott C Leading His Spinning Class |
Spinning Play List
This is the play list and structure for one of my recent
classes
The warm up
Beautiful Day/ U2
Speed of Sound/ Coldplay
First blended hill interval segments
Sweet Nothing/ Florence
Welch
Ooh La La/ Goldfrapp
White Flag/ Dido (Rich Radio Remix)
Hill Work combined vertical/seated climbing based on
categories
Sprawl Arcade / Fire
Anything Can Happen/ Ellie Goulding
Brain Damage/Eclipse/ Pink Floyd
A Loop in Time/ Wally Brill
.
Final interval work
On the run/ Pink Floyd
Anthem/ Moby
Cool down
Novio/Moby
-Scott C
Blogmaster's Note: I happen to love spinning and have taken lots of classes at lots of places. Recently I took Scott's spinning class at the 92nd Street Y and it was great! I especially liked doing "hill #4" when he had us visualize riding six repeats of the northern hills of Central Park (hill #4 was conquered while Scott had us working hard to the beat of Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb) -Dave K.
Blogmaster's Note: I happen to love spinning and have taken lots of classes at lots of places. Recently I took Scott's spinning class at the 92nd Street Y and it was great! I especially liked doing "hill #4" when he had us visualize riding six repeats of the northern hills of Central Park (hill #4 was conquered while Scott had us working hard to the beat of Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb) -Dave K.


1 comments:
Right on Scott - spinning is great! I’ve always considered it to be an alternative form of speed workout, and a great way to give the knees a break from constantly pounding the pavement. I know a lot of people like to stick with one instructor, but I like to attend classes with different instructors (and therefore music) just to experience the range of personalities of the class sessions. Finishing an intensive 45 minute class is real rush – what a great feeling. I’m going to get up to 92nd Street Y one of these days for your class, and I’m bringing TWO water bottles! Pat D.
Post a Comment