Sunday, September 8, 2013

Fifth Avenue Mile Race Strategy

Pat D
Blogmaster Dave K:  It was suggested to me by Francine A that I post on the Flyers Blog the fantastic advice by Pat D that I remembered reading several years ago in an email re: Pat's strategy for racing the NYRR Fifth Avenue Mile.  Since the race is coming up fast (click HERE for registration), now seems the perfect time to post this on the blog. Is that okay, Pat?

Pat D: Sure, Dave, I'm happy to share what may be some good and simple points that each of us can think about as we approach the start line. Some of this is real basic stuff, but hopefully it may be of some help to others.

Dave K:  Great, Pat, what are your suggestions?

Pat D:  Here are some tips, but first I'd also like to point out that some of these were gleaned from discussions I had with Flyers Assistant Speedwork Coach Joe Yates.


  1. This is not a sprint.  Do not get suckered in to going out too fast (as many will). We should each go out stronger than we do for a 4- or 5-miler, but not at a sprint pace.
  2. Don't be fooled by the clock.  If you plan to monitor the split clocks (1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 mile marks), be sure to realize that your split is when you go PAST the clock. Realize that you may see the clock well before passing it, and it may show a great time. Don’t be fooled – mark your time as you go past the clock.  I’m planning to monitor my pace and split times as it gives the mind something to think about so that I focus less on the pain and suffering from mile 1/4 onward!  You’ll be surprised how quickly those 1/4 mile markers come up.
  3. Pick someone to follow.  My plan is to try to spot some experienced runner(s) at the start line, and maybe even over the course of the first 1/4 mile, and then key and pace off of those runners. Since none of us are probably very good at pacing the mile, I’m going to let somebody else do the work! I’m not proud!!
  4. Focus on cadence.  After I get to about the 1/8 mile point in the race (and by then have settled into a rhythm, hopefully), I’m going to try to concentrate on cadence. Just keeping a good steady rhythm of arm swing (every little bit helps) and leg movement. I’ll probably be looking down at the road more than I will be watching the trees and buildings going past.
  5. Start up front.  Try to get a good starting position. I used to feel a bit intimidated by the other runners at the start and said to myself  “they look fast – I better not line up in front of them.” I’ve since learned to not judge the book by its cover.  We are good runners from a fantastic running club and have been running all summer. Most of these guys have not run as much as we have and they will flame out early in this event – they are just looking for another short qualifying race. Get up towards the front of that wave lineup!
    Dave K's Son Hopes to Beat his 7:15 This Year,
    And May be Gunning for Pat, So Better Watch Out! :)
  6. Be prepared for dry mouth.  I made some notes after past races, and one that I won’t forget is that even before I reached the halfway point, my mouth was as dry as it ever has been. I think there is no cure for that. It doesn't help to overload on water at the start. Just be prepared for it and understand that everyone else has (or should have!) the same desert mouth.
  7. Accept the pain.  This is a very anaerobic event. That is, just accept the fact that by the halfway point your body and muscles will be in deep oxygen debt and saying “Stop – I need some air!” Don’t listen to them. You can make it another few minutes to the finish line, and then let your muscles get the oxygen. Just understanding that (and therefore understanding why I’m in pain at the midway point) has helped me.
  8. Run through the finish line.  A MOST IMPORTANT POINT HERE – DO NOT RUN TO THE FINISH LINE!!  RATHER, YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST RUN THROUGH THE FINISH LINE!!!! One year I believe it was the second mat that was the official and posted time, not the first mat. That cost many people a second or two.  Do not let that happen to you!!
  9. The course isn't flat.  There is a little hill in this event – I plan to jog/walk it prior to our start just to reacquaint myself with that again.
  10. Start in the middle and draft off of other runners.  If it feels windy, the pack of runners will tend to move to the right side of the road. I hope to start in the middle of the road and be in a position to drift right into a pack and let them do the work of cutting through the wind if need be. However, I don’t want to start on the right side of the field since that could result in getting boxed in.
  11. Warm-up before the race.  A good warm up is essential. I typically have not done much warming up prior to those 10K’s, etc.  Instead, I would use the first part of the race to warm up.  I don’t want to do that on Sunday as we’ll be going out at a hard pace right from the start.  Some quick strides with high leg lifts or other dynamic warm-up drills before-hand is a must.  Click HERE for a link for some dynamic warm-up exercises shown on a Runners World website video.

Dave K:  Pat, has this approach worked for you?  What have been your results?

Pat D: So far, so good.  The year I wrote these tips I ran the race in 4:51 at age 47.  And since then, I’ve continued to run sub-5 minutes all five times I’ve run this event.

Dave K:  So I guess it’s fair to say you may be feeling pretty confident of another sub-5:00 race again this year.

Pat:  Well, actually, for the first time I’m scared I may not go under the 5-minute mark. In fact, that FEAR alone has caused me to think about just NOT doing it this year.  But then I thought what a terrible thing that would be – to not run just for the sake of pride.  As we get older we eventually slow down, and it’s a fact that I won’t hold on to sub-5 forever.  Given that, I’m planning to go out and put my best effort and let the cards fall where they may.  If I go over 5 minutes, well then the monkey is off my back, all the pressure goes with it.  But I’m still going to shoot for sub-5 minutes anyway.

"NY Flyers" Spectating from above at 2012 Fifth Ave Mile
Francine A: May I interject for a moment here?

Dave K: Sure, but where’d you come from?

Francine A:  Sorry, but I think people will want to know about this.  Did you see the article in Runner's World (please click HERE) about a guy who, at age 50, found himself newly divorced, with a stalled career?  He decided to redeem himself by running the 2012 Fifth Avenue Mile at sub-5 minute pace on an age-graded basis.  He devoted himself to his training and ran 5:34.  That's 4:52 on an age-graded basis.  The hard copy magazine has a photo of the author running next to Flyer John W!  My point: 5:34 might be disappointing for Pat, but it's a dream come true for another man. Several years ago, Jim M was thrilled to report that he had finished the race just three minutes behind Todd B (Todd ran 4:29 that year).  My favorite quote, though, comes from Jamey A.  After running the 2001 edition in 5:19, Jamey asked, "Where was the water stop?"

Dave K: I agree, great article, Francine. And, Pat, I think we all can relate to the fear. Whether it be about our performance, getting injured, Mother Nature's mood on race day, concern about what we ate or didn't eat for breakfast before the race, and many other fear factors. Yet I think that's part of what makes road racing so exciting and satisfying! I’m registered again for the Fifth Avenue Mile race this year, and may finally run it. If so, Pat, I’ll be sure to heed your recommended racing strategies!

-Pat D

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP