Shoe4Africa: Getting Involved
![]() |
| Jon L |
I count myself quite fortunate for the
friendships that I have made in the past few years since I joined the
Flyers. In particular, I am grateful that I met Flyers Speedwork Head Coach TOBY TANSER and learned more about the efforts of Shoe4Africa (S4A) in
developing health and educational opportunities in Kenya. 2013 has been a very busy year for
Shoe4Africa. Here's a partial list of
achievements for ongoing projects:
January
Distribution of school books from our
friend (and fellow Flyer) Pat D at many schools near Eldoret including
Little Joy Primary School:
February
Thanks to the generous efforts of S4A friends Peter
and Victoria Farago, dozens of Nook eReaders were donated by Barnes and Noble
and distributed throughout the schools supported by Shoe4Africa. In a place where access to books is a real
issue, having hundreds of books instantly available to support basic education
is invaluable.
March
Distributed Vibram FiveFingers shoes to the kids at
three schools to prevent the spread of hookworm and provide basic protection.
July
Opened Shoe4Africa Moses Kiptanui Public
Primary School. Already there are
300-kids enrolled plus 70 more in the kindergarten class. Thanks
to kind donations, Shoe4Africa was also able to provide a computer class as
well.
August
A project that has been many years in
the making hits a major milestone. The
groundbreaking and laying of the foundation begins for the first public
pediatric hospital in all of eastern Africa.
In a region where one in eight
children will die before their 5th year and 2/3rds of
these deaths are completely treatable or preventable, access to basic medical
care is crucial.
As you can see, Toby has been busy, which
is why we have not seen too much of him in NYC. You can read and see more about some of Toby Tanser's activities and projects by clicking HERE to view Toby's Flyer Blog posts.
When I first met with Toby earlier this year, I was astounded at what
Shoe4Africa has achieved, and the success of these ambitious projects is due
primarily to his tireless efforts. As a
501(c)(3) non-profit, Shoe4Africa operates on a shoestring budget (no offices, no
paid staff) to make sure the maximum value is realized from all donations. Like many of my fellow Flyers, I am happy to
support Toby in whatever way I can and I am currently coaching a group of
runners that will be running NYC in November as a result.
Do you want to get involved and help us
by supporting these projects? We would
welcome your involvement:
·
Donate to support
one of the Shoe4Africa runners at the following site: http://www.shoe4africa.org/charity/runners While we have raised much of the money to fund
construction of the hospital, we are also raising the funds to fully equip the
new facility.
·
Run to support
the team. If you would like to run the NYC
marathon and fundraise for Shoe4Africa, we would be happy to secure a spot for
you. If you already have entry and
simply would like to fundraise and run with the team, we would also be happy to
have you join us. Email me if you are
interested: (jonathanlang@yahoo.com).
·
Do you have some
other idea on how to support the charity or the ability to facilitate corporate
sponsorships? We would welcome any idea
that helps to support the mission of Shoe4Africa. Please contact Toby with your ideas: (toby@tanser.org).
-Jon L.







1 comments:
Great blog post, Jon. And, knowing you, hardly a surprise how much assistance you (and folks like Pat D.) provide for Toby's charity efforts. Toby's mission is on a grand scale and few can say that they have made a difference across the planet on such a small budget with so few working with him as Toby has.
Thanks for updating us on what Toby is doing and your involvement with his charitable efforts!!!
See you out there soon, JL!
AG
Post a Comment