Friday, September 20, 2013

Why I Run for Gilda’s Club

Noirin L
I have been a dedicated (read addicted) jogger for more than twenty years, sweating my way through the four seasons and all types of physical illness, including the side effects of chemotherapy, to get in my run. But it was only when I learned that my breast cancer had returned and metastasized in December 2010 that I became a real runner. With the inspiration and support of two new runner friends, I joined New York Road Runner’s Club and began racing in Central Park on weekends.

Queens 10K
Having Just Turned 50
Bring it On!

I was passably good at it for my age (just turned 50!) and I found that a competitive nature I tended to suppress had a chance to resurface in a healthy way. I relished being part of the tide of humanity sweating and pounding around the park in the early hours of the morning.  Running was proof for me that I was strong, that I was still in the race even though I’d suffered a huge loss--that of my health.

In 2011, I completed nine races and volunteered at one, which meant that I automatically qualified for the 2012 NYC Marathon. I took the plunge and signed up. It would have been my first marathon and I could certainly just have run it for the satisfaction of completing a 26.2-mile race while undergoing treatment for metastatic breast cancer. Instead I realized that I had to make it count for something more than my personal satisfaction.
 
At Left -- Posing With Friends
After the Brooklyn Half Marathon 2013
Because of my general health and fitness, I’ve always been able to muscle through the physical aspects of treatment. But the mental aspects have been extremely challenging, especially during the recurrence. It is not an understatement to say that reaching out for help when I was depressed and anxious was very difficult for me. But I did take that step: I admitted that I am not strong enough to face cancer alone. That’s where the support of a place like Gilda’s Club comes in.


Before I had cancer, I used to pass the Gilda’s clubhouse on Houston Street on the way to work. I’d look at the building and feel a pang of sadness and even dread. Now when I think of Gilda’s, I only feel glad that I’m a member of such a place, a community of people whose lives have been affected by cancer. There’s a lot that I look forward to experiencing at Gilda’s in the future. Because the 2012 marathon was cancelled, I was able to defer my entry to 2013 and I’m extremely proud to say that in November I will run my first NYC marathon as a member of the Gilda’s Club NYC Marathon Team. I raised more money than any other team member last year and I’m on track to do so this year again.

In the journey I’ve been on from my primary cancer diagnosis and treatment in 2008, which included surgeries, chemotherapy and radiation, through to the spread of that cancer to my bones and soft tissue, many things in my life have developed new importance and meaning. Running is pretty close to the top of the list of these things. Another is making sure I challenge myself enough. Running a marathon and fund-raising for Gilda’s certainly fit that bill.
Profiled in NEW YORK RUNNER
The Magazine of the NY Road Runners!
The fund-raising has given me the opportunity to share my story with friends, colleagues, family members, and acquaintances from all areas of my life. Almost all of the people I’ve reached out to have been glad to give generously to Gilda’s to make sure that people like me who live with cancer have a place to go to share information or take a yoga class or participate in a support group. I have been humbled by this generosity but I guess it only makes sense--who wouldn’t want to support such an amazing--free--place?

Blogmaster's Note:  Noirin is still accepting donations on her Gilda's Club fundraising page for the 2013 NYC Marathon.  Please click HERE to view her inspiring page and/or if you'd like to donate.

-Noirin L

1 comments:

Alan Gardner,  September 20, 2013 at 12:21 PM  

What a terrific post, Noirin...all the power to you! I have passed Gilda's many a time and felt both melancholy at Gilda being gone so long and satisfaction that the memory of such a vibrant and funny person is behind a group that helps folks dealing with the cancer...it's a great tribute to her.
Know that you have another support network right here with the Flyers...glad to know that you are doing well and readying to run this town on 11/3...I'm at the finish line handing out medals...let's make sure to find each other...I would be honored to drape the hardware around your neck.

Keep up the good work...run steady, run healthy, run strong!

Cheers,

Alan

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP